Snell M2020 helmet standards coming | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snell M2020 helmet standards coming

More interested in an FIM approved helmet, personally. They should be showing up.

There's some pretty apparent conflict between Snell and UN/FIM going on: Differing test methods and conflicting requirements between Snell and proposed ECE standards. (Where have we seen that before?) I'm in no way qualified to judge who is right, but one thing FIM is doing right is to address issues with counterfeiting and self-certification.

From that site: Homologated Helmets | FRHP

Kinda shopping around for a new helmet(maybe Shoei RF1200/NXR. When are the 2020 SNELL helmet coming out? FALL?

Kinda shopping around for a new helmet(maybe Shoei RF1200/NXR. When are the 2020 SNELL helmet coming out? FALL?
Snell is only one standard, so it takes helmet manufacturers a while to clear the pipeline of old stick, submit product for approval and get it on the shelves. There's also an ECE 22.06 coming, and I believe DOT update as well. As a guess, sometime in late 2021. The FIM racing standard muddies the waters even further.

Also, I believe face shields are being tested, previous there was only VESC-8 or Snell.

A shoei rep. email me back regarding the snell 2020

Don Bailey
(Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.)
Oct 19, 2020, 9:35 PDT
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Shoei helmets. Snell 2020 went into effect in helmets last year around Oct. There will never be an RF-1300 since we do not use the number 13 and while we are always working on new products the factory does not release information on them so we will have to wait for their official release.

Please feel free to contact us anytime you have a question regarding Shoei products. We appreciate your business.
Don Bailey
Technical Advisor
Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.
www.Shoei-Helmets.com
(714)730-0941

Shoei RF 1400 sneak peak - credit to your good buddy 650ib

fast forward to 2:50 mark

no wonder all the sales going for the rf1200!

a closer look

Last edited:
Not super excited about the marginal improvements, but I see at least two graphics schemes that I could live with

More interested in an FIM approved helmet, personally. They should be showing up.

Shark was apparently the only maker to meet the original deadline for the FIM requirements, leading to some red faces at better known brands. They sell one now:

Race-R PRO GP FIM

It's not cheap, but I don't think any of the FIM helmets will be budget:

Shark Race-R Pro GP FIM Racing #1 DKD Carbon Black Carbon Full Face Helmet - ChromeBurner

For full disclosure, I'm a bit of a Shark fanboy. They make incredible gear (though it'll likely never be Snell certified), and while their unbelievably bad Canadian distribution was an issue for a while, the internet makes that a non-issue now. My current track helmet is a Race-R Pro Carbon, but I'll be getting one of the FIM units next. My only beef is that they sponsor that bell-end Lorenzo...

Back
Top Bottom