Slip on pipe, KTM690 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Slip on pipe, KTM690

frozen

I just purchased a 690 enduro and I am interested in putting on a slip on exhuast. My main concern is the need for a tune once installed. I've found articles suggesting yes and other that say you shouldn't need a tune as long as you only change the muffler section of the exhaust. Any advice or expertise to be found on this topic?

Attachments

• ktm690.jpg
    ktm690.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 13
^what he said
Welcome to team brap

Thanks. I'm considering the Leo Vince. if I did need a tune, who would you recommend?

Depending on the year of bike, ktm locked the ecu. So it may be dealer only.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I had a 2012 690 enduro that came with a Leo Vince slip on.

I found it loud so I re-packed it. Not much better.

With the Leo Vince the bike would stall almost immediately. Would restart and run fine, but occasional stalls would happen at stop signs or in opportune times on the trail with the clutch in.

The fit wasn't great and it took some fiddling. Also I didn't find the quality of the Leo Vince to be particularly good.

I found a stock silencer on Ebay and put it on. Obviously quieter, no more stalling or running issues and no impact on power delivery, and the more reliable running characteristics made it much more enjoyable off road. Also, to be honest I found the increased noise annoying, both while droning along the road and while off road.

The ONLY upside, is weight reduction and even then it's pretty inconsequential. It's a big bike, and the couple/few pounds knocked off won't make it a single track weapon.

Since you asked, I wouldn't waste my money on a slip-on A better seat, perhaps bar risers and a gearing change if you want better tractability off road.

Here's a good albeit long read that might interest you:

With the Leo Vince the bike would stall almost immediately. Would restart and run fine, but occasional stalls would happen at stop signs or in opportune times on the trail with the clutch in.

The fit wasn't great and it took some fiddling. Also I didn't find the quality of the Leo Vince to be particularly good.

I found a stock silencer on Ebay and put it on. Obviously quieter, no more stalling or running issues and no impact on power delivery, and the more reliable running characteristics made it much more enjoyable off road. Also, to be honest I found the increased noise annoying, both while droning along the road and while off road.

The ONLY upside, is weight reduction and even then it's pretty inconsequential. It's a big bike, and the couple/few pounds knocked off won't make it a single track weapon.

Since you asked, I wouldn't waste my money on a slip-on A better seat, perhaps bar risers and a gearing change if you want better tractability off road.
At my age i'm not looking to be a "single track" warrior. My reasons for wanting to replace the pipe are weight for obvious reasons, and heat. My wife is occasionally on the back at the cottage and would like to do what i can to ensure that pipe is as cool as possible. you can see in the pic it has rear pegs. I originally wanted and exc500 or crf450. until i realized the sub frame on neither bike would support a passenger. I then set my sights on a drz400. strong enough frame to support a passenger but heavy and under powered. Enter the 690 enduro. very close in weight to the drz400 and crf450. almost double the power and support a passenger. for me it was an easy choice. if i really like it i will eventually buy a new one.

Last edited:
She's a hardy woman for being willing to be a passenger on the 690.

Something to remember, the slip-ons don't have heat shields. On mine, the Leo Vince can was hotter to the touch than the heat shield on the stock exhaust ever got.

The stalling really sucks.

Back
Top Bottom