Shortening throttle length | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shortening throttle length

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to shorten the throttle length. I watched some videos and most discuss free play. What I would like to do is to shorten the throttle length by at least 30% (so moving your throttle from idle to full throttle would be 30% less for your wrist movement, if that makes sense.) Can this be done adjusting the throttle cable?

I don't think that's a good idea. To do that, you would be losing the ability to guarantee you can get to idle. You can buy quick turn throttles (probably a larger diameter pulley so they pull more cable per degree of twist).

R6 throttle tube is the cheapest way to get what you are looking for. Otherwise you’ll have to got with motion pro throttles or something similar. What year and model is your bike.

It is called a "quick-turn throttle", and it would sure help to know which bike you are trying to modify.

I'm reasonably certain that the power modes on the MT-09/XSR900 just affect the throttle position sensor: 'A' mode acts like a quarter-turn throttle, 'B' mode acts like a regular throttle, and 'STD' mode is somewhere in between. The modes don't appear to affect the actual power, just how sensitive the throttle is.

I'd expect that the MT-10 does the same thing with its power modes. So you probably already have the capability to get the throttle effect you desire simply by switching into 'A' mode.

I'm reasonably certain that the power modes on the MT-09/XSR900 just affect the throttle position sensor: 'A' mode acts like a quarter-turn throttle, 'B' mode acts like a regular throttle, and 'STD' mode is somewhere in between. The modes don't appear to affect the actual power, just how sensitive the throttle is.

I'd expect that the MT-10 does the same thing with its power modes. So you probably already have the capability to get the throttle effect you desire simply by switching into 'A' mode.
I suspect it doesnt change the twist required for full throttle but may change the curve (eg 10% twist could equal 5 or 30% throttle). Once the computer is intervening, it obviously could act as a shorter turn throttle but for liability reasons, I expect that to get 100% throttle you need 100% twist.

Yeah, the power modes won't physically stop the throttle from turning the full rotation, but in 'A' mode you should be getting 100% power by only turning the throttle a quarter-turn (approximately, it's hard to tell exactly). The last 75% of the throttle rotation basically doesn't do anything in 'A' mode. At least that's how it appears to work with the Yamaha triples, and I'm assuming it's the same for the MT-10

I suspect it doesnt change the twist required for full throttle but may change the curve (eg 10% twist could equal 5 or 30% throttle). Once the computer is intervening, it obviously could act as a shorter turn throttle but for liability reasons, I expect that to get 100% throttle you need 100% twist.
True, it's possible that it's a shifted curve rather than a linear progression. It's really rather hard to tell even on the XSR900 because you can't hold the throttle full open in any mode for more than a couple of seconds without getting into HTA172 territory.

in 'A' mode you should be getting 100% power by only turning the throttle a quarter-turn (approximately, it's hard to tell exactly). The last 75% of the throttle rotation basically doesn't do anything in 'A' mode. At least that's how it appears to work with the Yamaha triples, and I'm assuming it's the same for the MT-10
Yep, that's pretty much how it works on my Tracer 900. It is basically what the OP is asking for. I don't use A mode, its way too touchy for me.

Back
Top Bottom