Shock Tube from Motorcycle Innovations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shock Tube from Motorcycle Innovations

Chris-CJ

Most modern bikes have rear mudguards that are anything but.
I needed something to protect the Ohlin rear mono-shock and was planning on getting an "Extenda Fenda".
Google took me to "Motorcycle Innovations" and this was a good thing!
I exchanged information with Matt and he suggested a "shock tube".
Turns out that this is a better solution than a cobbled up mudguard.
No hard sell, just finding a solution and very responsive - Matt, is a motorcyclist and a "go to" guy.
He carries a range of motorcycle accessories and find him at:

Attachments

• Shocktube.jpg
    Shocktube.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 14
Just beware that they're not a set-it-and-forget-it item. They can hold wet in and accelerate corrosion and pitting if they get wet or you ride in the rain. There's a YouTube video of an RC51 restoration I was just watching, and the shock under one of those boots is in horrible shape, with both the spring and shock body succumbing to rust. Keeps the muck off, but the water in...

Just beware that they're not a set-it-and-forget-it item. They can hold wet in and accelerate corrosion and pitting if they get wet or you ride in the rain. There's a YouTube video of an RC51 restoration I was just watching, and the shock under one of those boots is in horrible shape, with both the spring and shock body succumbing to rust. Keeps the muck off, but the water in...
Thanks for the heads up!
This device seems to find favor with the ADV riders. But your comment makes total sense.
I will make sure to get the tube off the shock after a ride in the rain.
In the "dry", hopefully the tube prevents road grit from pitting the shock.

Thanks for the heads up!
This device seems to find favor with the ADV riders. But your comment makes total sense.
I will make sure to get the tube off the shock after a ride in the rain.
In the "dry", hopefully the tube prevents road grit from pitting the shock.
any update on this? is it worth getting?

With the proviso mentioned by Priller (post above), I think that it is worth it!
It has been on my bike (a "standard") more as a protection for the Ohlins rear shock against the grit from some of the back roads that is flung up by the rotation of the rear wheel. It comes off in minutes when I need to inspect/adjust the shock.
Am sure it will also work for an off-road/ADV bike, might just have to get it off after every ride through mud to clean it (rinse) and also to make sure that it is not water logging the shock.
Will it work on the front suspension?
I don't see why not.
The only draw back is the aesthetics, it looks like what it is - a vinyl tube!

With the proviso mentioned by Priller (post above), I think that it is worth it!
It has been on my bike (a "standard") more as a protection for the Ohlins rear shock against the grit from some of the back roads that is flung up by the rotation of the rear wheel. It comes off in minutes when I need to inspect/adjust the shock.
Am sure it will also work for an off-road/ADV bike, might just have to get it off after every ride through mud to clean it (rinse) and also to make sure that it is not water logging the shock.
Will it work on the front suspension?
I don't see why not.
The only draw back is the aesthetics, it looks like what it is - a vinyl tube!
I mean im going to use it on my CBR650R as a protective measure and cause I wanted to change the color of the shock originally and this seems to solve both issues at a cheaper price than just painting it and way less invasive haha

How is it for cleaning? like how dirty does everything get?

also I've heard using these heats up the shock or doesn't let it ventilate. any thoughts?

I mean im going to use it on my CBR650R as a protective measure and cause I wanted to change the color of the shock originally and this seems to solve both issues at a cheaper price than just painting it and way less invasive haha

How is it for cleaning? like how dirty does everything get?

also I've heard using these heats up the shock or doesn't let it ventilate. any thoughts?
1. It will work for your original purpose.
2. "Dirty" is subjective and the dirt depends on where you ride.
I did not have this problem.
3. I did not face this "heat" problem.
IMO, the shock has to be working really hard over a continuous period of time to get that hot.
Again depends on your riding and the quality of your shock.
..... my 2 cents

1. It will work for your original purpose.
2. "Dirty" is subjective and the dirt depends on where you ride.
I did not have this problem.
3. I did not face this "heat" problem.
IMO, the shock has to be working really hard over a continuous period of time to get that hot.
Again depends on your riding and the quality of your shock.
..... my 2 cents
Perfect!

Yeah I normally just ride street obv and I try to keep my bike clean so I mean if it gets significantly dirty I don’t mind washing it.

And I also doubt I work it hard enough to be a issue… I guess I can see it being more of a issue for dirt or adv riders who have it compressing fully a bunch over and over
(I am also running the OEM shock).
also I’m sure when you ride there will be air hitting it anyways.

That all being said I think imma just order it and not look back! Thank you!

My guess is this would only be an issue for really spirited riding on a twisty road or track riding.

Unless you're pushing hard, I suspect it'd be fine. And if you're riding that hard, you probably want aftermarket suspension anyway...

My guess is this would only be an issue for really spirited riding on a twisty road or track riding.

Unless you're pushing hard, I suspect it'd be fine. And if you're riding that hard, you probably want aftermarket suspension anyway...
yeah, I don't necessarily do spirited twisty or track riding... just my occasional quick straight pulls which doesn't compress the rear shock a lot. (relative to Twistys)

Back
Top Bottom