Setting Suspension | GTAMotorcycle.com

Setting Suspension

ZX600

Site Supporter
Gsxr 750 2010
I wanted to set my Sag at 30 mm in the front, but there is no more room, I would have to do 5 more turns and that will put me at the end of my preload. Had to leave it at 35 front and back

Can anyone help me understand why I don't have any more room to set it at 30mm?

Thank you in advance

I'm 190 pounds

For a street bike, 35mm front is not unreasonable. Rear should usually be a bit less, try 30mm.

For a street bike, 35mm front is not unreasonable. Rear should usually be a bit less, try 30mm.
Thanks Brian. Reading around for my bike is supposed to be 40 front and 30 back, so I am probably going to try 30 back and leave it at 35 front for now. It came stock at 50 front and 45 back

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.948 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: 1 kg/mm(stock)

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 10.575 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 9.5 kg/mm (stock)

I am just starting now to learn about suspension, maybe someone can help me with these numbers. Am I way off and should get exactly what they are recommending? or am I ok with those numbers?

For a street bike, it appears that what's in there is close enough to what it should be as makes no difference. The optimum spring rate will depend on the rider's weight; where did you get those calculations from and did you factor your weight into it?

I would have to do 5 more turns and that will put me at the end of my preload. Had to leave it at 35 front and back
I might be reading this wrong, but what's wrong with leaving it with the 5 extra turns, maxing out the preload - if that yields the desired rider sag #'s?

You could always take the forks apart and build yourself a longer spacer to get the sag exactly where you want it - seems overkill for street IMO.

Last edited:
I might be reading this wrong, but what's wrong with leaving it with the 5 extra turns, maxing out the preload - if that yields the desired rider sag #'s?

You could always take the forks apart and build yourself a longer spacer to get the sag exactly where you want it - seems overkill for street IMO.
Well your question number 1 is kind of the same question I have. Not using the bike for street only. Not messing with the spacer. I am going to continue playing with the settings until I find something I am comfortable with. If I don't find a setting it may mean I need to change the springs to a different rate

Well your question number 1 is kind of the same question I have. Not using the bike for street only. Not messing with the spacer. I am going to continue playing with the settings until I find something I am comfortable with. If I don't find a setting it may mean I need to change the springs to a different rate

So if you bottom out the preload setting, do you get the sag setting you want?

Some questions/concerns for the OP:

1) The Racetech spring calculations that you've shown are based on the 06-08 year GSXR750. Are you sure the springs and rear linkage geometry are the same for your year bike?

2) Front Suspension - what are your readings for:
a) Fork Stiction
b) Free Sag
c) Rider Sag

3) Rear Suspension - what are your readings for:
a) Shock Stiction
b) Free Sag
c) Rider Sag

If you can find a video tutorial to assist you in the above measurements you'll be on the right track.

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.948 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: 1 kg/mm(stock)

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 10.575 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 9.5 kg/mm (stock)

I am just starting now to learn about suspension, maybe someone can help me with these numbers. Am I way off and should get exactly what they are recommending? or am I ok with those numbers?

do they still do the race or street option for those calculations?
I think you are fine to try out what you have before you swap out springs. With stiffer springs you might not have enough rebound damping as well.

Some questions/concerns for the OP:

1) The Racetech spring calculations that you've shown are based on the 06-08 year GSXR750. Are you sure the springs and rear linkage geometry are the same for your year bike? Yes they are the same

2) Front Suspension - what are your readings for:
a) Fork Stiction Not to familiar with this but if I say it is stock, would that help?
b) Free Sag Don't remember the numbers exactly (I am at work and have them written at home) but the difference from free to rider at the front is 35 mm
c) Rider Sag same as above

3) Rear Suspension - what are your readings for:
a) Shock Stiction Same as above
b) Free Sag Difference is 35 mm between free and rider sag
c) Rider Sag

If you can find a video tutorial to assist you in the above measurements you'll be on the right track.
see comments in red

Back
Top Bottom