safety inspection when selling | GTAMotorcycle.com

safety inspection when selling

Freddy F

Site Supporter
I listed my Tracer for sale. I bought it brand new 18 months ago. Will it need to have a safety done on it? If so, is it my responsibility or can I ask the buyer to take care of that?

Yes it will have to get a safety certificate....they are valid for 36 days...you as the seller are not responsible for getting one done, however if you do, only do so after you get a deposit (because of the expiration)...you are responsible for providing the UVIP which you buy at a Service Ontario for $20...it can also serve as your bill of sale...if you sell it certified, you can ask a bit more for the bike, or sell it uncertified and sell it for less...

My car mechanic might be OK with doing the safety....or does he need a special endorsement on his mechanic's license to do it?

They have to be a motorcycle certified mechanic...God forbid if something were to go wrong (and I'm sure nothing would but if it did) with the bike after your mechanic friend signed off on the safety, it could be his license and possibly the shop's license on the line...

They're not that expensive, about $105 IIRC (hubby recently had one done at Team Honda in Milton...

They have to be a motorcycle certified mechanic...God forbid if something were to go wrong (and I'm sure nothing would but if it did) with the bike after your mechanic friend signed off on the safety, it could be his license and possibly the shop's license on the line...

They're not that expensive, about $105 IIRC (hubby recently had one done at Team Honda in Milton...
Not true. any licensed auto mechanic can right safety for a bike

The mechanic has to have a motorcycle DRIVERS license. The inspection now includes a testdrive. The inspector has to drive the bike at 30kph (IIRC) and test the brakes.

I'll probably just get one done on my bike that's for sale to make sure nothing's wrong, which it shouldn't be.
It's something like $80, and the shop I'm going to, sets aside specific days & times every week for them.
If it lapses, then I'll let people know I had one done, and offer to do another with a deposit.

The mechanic has to have a motorcycle DRIVERS license. The inspection now includes a testdrive. The inspector has to drive the bike at 30kph (IIRC) and test the brakes.
All they need is a G license, their 310S license and a work order on their person if stopped. Also need to be within reasonable distance from the shop. Can't be across the city on a "test ride" for a safety.

Anyone know where in Brampton or thereabouts to get a safety done?

I called Cycle Source (Brampton) and they can do it for $120 + HST ... I seem to recall George at Corsa doing it for $60 2 years ago, too bad he's no longer nearby my work. Wish someone could mobile that service.

I called Cycle Source (Brampton) and they can do it for $120 + HST ... I seem to recall George at Corsa doing it for $60 2 years ago, too bad he's no longer nearby my work. Wish someone could mobile that service.
Mobile safety is not legal as license is for a physical location not a mechanic. An infamous Toronto mechanic used to do them and got slapped at least once.

I haven't safetied a bike in a while but $60 seems really low. IIRC, the stupid piece of paper they have to write on costs something like $20 a sheet (that's how the government gets their profit from the safety).

Reactions: LBV

The guys over at KMM on Meyerside in Mississauga are awesome, you can drop in and they will do it while you wait. Yesterday I went with my wife and they went above and beyond. The guy saftied her new bike, then spend 5-10 minutes adjusting things (lever height) and took out slack out of the throttle which my wife really appreciated.

As for the original quesion, I recently sold the 2010 Ninja 250R for $2500. I had it saftied first, and honestly, I feel it was worth it, because the responses were overwhelming and 10 people wanted to see it within the first day, I sold it the next day.

Mobile safety is not legal as license is for a physical location not a mechanic. An infamous Toronto mechanic used to do them and got slapped at least once.

I haven't safetied a bike in a while but $60 seems really low. IIRC, the stupid piece of paper they have to write on costs something like $20 a sheet (that's how the government gets their profit from the safety).
In Ontario the profit from making you buy a UVIP although it is entirely useless.

In Ontario the profit from making you buy a UVIP although it is entirely useless.

Why is a UVIP useless?
It shows when it was first registered, who the current owner is, how many owners there have been and if there any liens on the bike/car.
All seems like good information to know.

Why is a UVIP useless?
It shows when it was first registered, who the current owner is, how many owners there have been and if there any liens on the bike/car.
All seems like good information to know.
In all honesty,

Why does it matter when the bike was first registered? If its a 2015 bike, then it was likely delivered between Aug 14- Dec 15.
The current owner is on the registration which has to be signed and handed over the MTO.

How many owners and lien is useful info. But if it were not a money grab, the RO of any vehicle should be able to obtain a PDF online for free without going to the MTO. But then they dont make money.

Also, why can't the UVIP I purchased be used by the bikes next owner? Because the MTO wants to make money each time the bike is sold.

Why does it matter when the bike was first registered? If its a 2015 bike, then it was likely delivered between Aug 14- Dec 15.
I've bought two bikes that were 3 year old stock but brand new from the dealer, with full warranty. To some that may matter.
Side note: the insurance companies still consider them 3 years old even though brand new.

The guys over at KMM on Meyerside in Mississauga are awesome, you can drop in and they will do it while you wait. Yesterday I went with my wife and they went above and beyond. The guy saftied her new bike, then spend 5-10 minutes adjusting things (lever height) and took out slack out of the throttle which my wife really appreciated.
I ended up going to the Cdn Tire in Bolton. $135 + taxes as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom