Royal Enfield Himalayan | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Royal Enfield Himalayan

I watched some videos tonight of guys taking their FZ07s off road...really impressed with one guy going through rough terrain on his stock Battleax tires...thinking maybe get some dual sport tires like Shinko 705 when I need new shoes...my stock PR3s look great, even after 15,000 km....but then again, I weigh very little and I'm not an aggressive rider...

@Riceburner yeah, saw that video today...she wasn't going to be able to plate it in Denmark because it was an Indian market bike, and as such, wouldn't have been able to bring it to SA for her trip to Alaska...the dealer there gave her a 2019 model, and she gave them hers so they can put it on display..sweet deal if you ask me...?
Royal Enfields are not for the feint of heart. I rode one for a month when on assignment in India, I was lucky to have some mechanical knowledge and a support guy that was good with M&R. They are made for rough and slow south east Asian travel -- not for the roads we have here. Enfields are small and durable, but they need constant adjustments and tinkering to keep them in top form. Be prepared to adjust chain, throttle and clutch cables, and carbs about 5 times more often than a Jap bike.

Last edited:
I watched some videos tonight of guys taking their FZ07s off road...really impressed with one guy going through rough terrain on his stock Battleax tires...thinking maybe get some dual sport tires like Shinko 705 when I need new shoes...my stock PR3s look great, even after 15,000 km....but then again, I weigh very little and I'm not an aggressive rider...
Go with soft radials, semi-knobby tires on an FZ07 will just ruin it for hard top, unless you plan to spend a lot of time riding sand dunes.

... Be prepared to adjust chain, throttle and clutch cables, and carbs about 5 times more often than a Jap bike.
n.p. It's fuel injected.

@Trials, thanks for the info on the tires...the Shinko is what I saw recommended on an FZ07 group I'm part of...I know NOTHING about dual sport tires etc...you seem very knowledgeable, what would you recommend?

Royal (pun intended) pain either way, so she got a sweet deal. Used bike and accessories, unusable for the future ride, for a brand new one. I'd take that deal every day.

I'd like to be able to do big ride then nail the bike to a wall... 'Like those two 'Long way Round douches... lol

LWD.jpg

The best I can do is maybe pull the old, used worn out tires off and hang 'em from the garage ceiling

If it still runs, I'd be riding it till it doesn't. But when you got $$$ to burn.....

Or... when you don't have to actually pay for anything because everyone gives you stuff for free.

I mean really... How many "adventurers" have a full staff and unlimited budgets to do their trips..?

Sadly there are a lot of great tires that do not come in a wide variety of sizes, so you have to start with the tire size and shop for what is available, radial tires offer a huge advantage just by design of the tires inner construction that bias ply tires simply can not achieve. Beyond that are options of tread design and rubber compounds but both bias and radial tires can benefit from those features so the radial always wins. If the tire manufacturer doesn't very clearly sell it as a radial tire it isn't one, that's the most important feature to shop for if a performance tire is even available for your bike.

In the last couple years Enfield has acknowledged they needed to really up the game to stay saleable in a global market. Like fine Russian automobiles (Lada) , what sells at home doesn't fly in America or Europe.
The fuel injected RE , new twin engines are pretty reasonable machines. They may never be Japanese quality, but for those that just dont want to follow the herd, its an intersting choice.

they should put the 400cc parallel twin from the ninja in it
wNiQdK6.jpg
To be fair the engine in it is already the 300cc parallel twin from the Ninja 300 (tuned slightly differently). They just upgraded the Ninja and probably didn't update the Versys.

The power to weight ratio tells me it should be fine but it isn't going to be a rocket. Then again my bike's got 10 less HP (although it's also 100 lbs lighter).

RE needs some dealers - 2 in Southern Ontario (none in the 416/905) doesn't slice it.

RE needs some dealers - 2 in Southern Ontario (none in the 416/905) doesn't slice it.
Last time I checked the distributor was not interested in any dealers who didn't already sell another brand of motorcycle.
... which in my estimation was pretty silly, it means you won't be seeing any R-E exclusive dealership start-ups in Canada, ever.

Reactions: TK4

Back
Top Bottom