Right of way questions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Right of way questions

I'm open to being wrong about whether you can turn left on red there, but not to making sure you do it carefully in any case.
Especially if you're heading to the Gardiner, rather than Jameson.

Most HTA laws specify "when safe to do so", so that goes without saying. Crossing 3 lanes of traffic to get on the Gardiner onramp from that left turn lane is no different than many major intersections with a gas station, plaza, or other driveway on the opposite corner. Here's just one example at Islington and Queensway:

1666817843830.png

Most HTA laws specify "when safe to do so", so that goes without saying. Crossing 3 lanes of traffic to get on the Gardiner onramp from that left turn lane is no different than many major intersections with a gas station, plaza, or other driveway on the opposite corner. Here's just one example at Islington and Queensway:

View attachment 58175
The big difference is that at Islington the left turner will have an advanced green and the right turner will have a red,
at the Gardiner it could well be the reverse, or you may both have green lights.

I would want to be making a right on a green over a left on a red during a minor collision any day of the week.

The big difference is that at Islington the left turner will have an advanced green and the right turner will have a red,
at the Gardiner it could well be the reverse, or you may both have green lights.

I would want to be making a right on a green over a left on a red during a minor collision any day of the week.

Well, if we're talking about turning left on GREEN, then the three phase signal means you effectively have an advanced green. But it's actually safer because there's no right on red from British Columbia whereas southbound Islington drivers are free to try.

The "Tik Tok Traffic Cop", (that is the nic given him by Newstalk 1010 when he does his monthly visit), actually addressed this exact issue on Thurs.

The charge is IMPROPER Turn. You MUST turn in the corresponding lane, IE curb lane to curb lane. If your making a left turn at a reg intersection, onto a 2 lane road and someone makes a right turn from the opposing direction and you go wide into the second lane and hit the right turning vehicle YOU get the improper turn charge. Or if going from one way to a one way with 2 SIGNED turning lanes and again you go wide and strike the vehicle beside you, again do not pass go and collect your ticket..lol

I have been busy and didn't get a chance to post it was an improper turn then got it confirmed by Sgt Shawn Shapiro, (Tik Tok cop)...lol

The "Tik Tok Traffic Cop", (that is the nic given him by Newstalk 1010 when he does his monthly visit), actually addressed this exact issue on Thurs.

The charge is IMPROPER Turn. You MUST turn in the corresponding lane, IE curb lane to curb lane. If your making a left turn at a reg intersection, onto a 2 lane road and someone makes a right turn from the opposing direction and you go wide into the second lane and hit the right turning vehicle YOU get the improper turn charge. Or if going from one way to a one way with 2 SIGNED turning lanes and again you go wide and strike the vehicle beside you, again do not pass go and collect your ticket..lol

I have been busy and didn't get a chance to post it was an improper turn then got it confirmed by Sgt Shawn Shapiro, (Tik Tok cop)...lol

Yeah, that's actually one of my greatest pet peeves when people drift wide during a left turn. I always make a point to not do it, but if I need to get into a driveway like the gas station pictured above, if I stay in the left lane immediately while turning, and immediately signal right to cross the two lanes to get into one of those driveways, and can do it without getting close to impeding someone else, is that still considered an improper turn or lane change? Otherwise how do you get into that driveway - go around the block?

Yeah, that's actually one of my greatest pet peeves when people drift wide during a left turn. I always make a point to not do it, but if I need to get into a driveway like the gas station pictured above, if I stay in the left lane immediately while turning, and immediately signal right to cross the two lanes to get into one of those driveways, and can do it without getting close to impeding someone else, is that still considered an improper turn or lane change? Otherwise how do you get into that driveway - go around the block?
When you turn left aren't you allowed to turn into the leftmost straight through lane? Otherwise you might turn from a left turn lane into another left turn lane.

Here's what I meant. If the first driveway was the only option, then I'd normally take the solid red path, making a proper left into the leftmost westbound lane, followed by two quick right lane changes with signals, then a right turn into the driveway. As opposed to drifting wide along the yellow path straight into the driveway. If there was a second driveway, obviously the dotted path would be safer, but if not, it would be good to know is the law expects us to actually go around the block.

1667060766417.png

Yes you are REQUIRED to go into the LEFT lane then signal you intent to move o the right lane and your right turn. Obviously, ONLY if it is safe to do so. Personally, I don't turn into gas stations on a corner like that rather, I proceed straight thru to intersection then turn LEFT into the station n it's other entrance, If there is a traffic median curb preventing that, then I go to the next gas station there is one on virtually every corner...

Back
Top Bottom