Riding this morning - warm up and fueling | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding this morning - warm up and fueling

It's about 15 degrees this morning, I warmed up my Ninja 250 for about 5 min with choke fully on, then it idles at ~1500rpm. I started riding with choke on for another 5 min, then I turn it all off, I noticed then the throttle response is sluggish and led to some stalling. So I rode for another 5 min with choke fully on, try again turning choke off and still, same sluggish throttle response.

Is this normal? I'm thinking that a good 20 min would be enough, maybe it's not fully warmed up?

The other thing is I filled gas this morning on my 1/4 full tank. I was planning on filling it 10L, but it automatically stopped at ~6L, and I was able to eyeball the gas. Is that too little? This only adds up to ~11L?

I had the same problem today .

Let it run for 10 mins choke out ,then took it for a ride and it was sluggish .Mine bike was fine after about 20 to 30 mins of riding.

I had about half of tank of gas in her

Usually 5 mins is enough for my bike to warm up on cooler days (3-5 mins with choke on). Once your bike is fully warmed up (after 20 min ride), try adjusting the idle mixture screw on the left side of the bilke. My bike also revs at around 1500 rpm when fully warmed up. If you are having idleing issues especially on take offs, then you may want to try to increase the idle speed to maybe 1800 rpms. Although Kawi recommends an idle speed of 1200 rpms. I find that our bikes run lean from the factory and that our cooler climate may require a slightly above normal idle speed. This is all just my opinion based on my experience.

Our tanks hold 18 liters of fuel. Try keeping the the bike as verticle as possoble and raise the fuel nozzle when filling up so that it just almost touches the the flat metal piece under the fuel cap. Just don't pump it at full pressure otherwise you risk overfulling the tank and spilling fuel all over the bike.

Interesting! I was told to never rev the engine or ride withe the choke open - it's too hard on the engine. Am I wrong or just being over cautious?I rode the bike to the gym this morning at 6 AM (couldn't sleep). I did my usual regime - warmed the bike up for about 4 mins with the choke open, closed the choke, gave it some gas and the rpms settled at about 1200. I know as it gets colder I'll have to let it warm up longer.

Usually 5 mins is enough for my bike to warm up on cooler days (3-5 mins with choke on). Once your bike is fully warmed up (after 20 min ride), try adjusting the idle mixture screw on the left side of the bilke. My bike also revs at around 1500 rpm when fully warmed up. If you are having idleing issues especially on take offs, then you may want to try to increase the idle speed to maybe 1800 rpms. Although Kawi recommends an idle speed of 1200 rpms. I find that our bikes run lean from the factory and that our cooler climate may require a slightly above normal idle speed. This is all just my opinion based on my experience.

Our tanks hold 18 liters of fuel. Try keeping the the bike as verticle as possoble and raise the fuel nozzle when filling up so that it just almost touches the the flat metal piece under the fuel cap. Just don't pump it at full pressure otherwise you risk overfulling the tank and spilling fuel all over the bike.

On the 250R? I get about 10.90 liters in the tank. If i fill in a little more than that it would go over the metal piece on the gas tank. It's the 2009 ninja 250r. Standing it upright, not on the kick stand.

As for warming it up i put the choke about half way for 40 seconds to a minute, then let it idle for another minute. The rpms settle at about 1500 at this point. Throttle response is good. I take off riding easy for about 3 kilometres. Then shift at the usual RPMS. And all this is in the morning when i leave for work at about 7:30 AM.

Ninja 250 holds 18 liters. If you're only filling 10 liters and the tank is full, that usually means that you were far from empty. The fuel gauge is horridly inaccurate.

you guys are waiting way too long for this warm-up... 5 minutes is just wasting fuel. I usually watch the temp gauge and once it registers I'm off. Lately I don't even do that.. turn it on, gear up, and ride out slowly.. your engine doesnt need that much time to get to healthy operating temp.
turn the choke off before riding, it does nothing for you while using the throttle and instead will give you too rich a mixture once you're warm.
As for your engine idling weird after 20 minutes and shutting off, this is not a 'warming up' issue, it sounds like a battery problem. Charge it up and try again.

2 or 3 minutes or as long as it takes to put my helmet and gloves on. No need to run a bike on full choke that long, once the bike (off-choke) responds to throttle input you're good to go. short shift for the first few minutes of your ride. Your neighbours will appreciate it too.

The other thing is I filled gas this morning on my 1/4 full tank. I was planning on filling it 10L, but it automatically stopped at ~6L, and I was able to eyeball the gas. Is that too little? This only adds up to ~11L?

If it automatically stopped like when your cage is full then you had the nozzle in the tank to far.

2-3 minutes. Turn your bike on, put on helmet and gloves and go...and don't pussy shift. It's probably the reason your bike hates you.

Yup, choke on until I gear up, a couple minutes. Then I shut the choke off and ride away, changing gears around 6-7000 rpm for a few blocks.
Best way to warm up ANY vehicle is to drive it. Helps the engine warm up quicker, along with other parts, ie: tires, and it also makes for a more even warm up, not just the head of the piston and coolant. ;)

Back
Top Bottom