Riding someone elses bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding someone elses bike?

jukon

Hi,

I'm not sure how this works with bikes or cars even. If the bike is plated and insured, and you are licensed to ride it, can you get into trouble if pulled over? Do you have to be insured under the policy? How does this work?

This is assuming your buddy lets you borrow his bike for the day, not that you are riding it regularly. (Although I'm not sure how you would prove that to a cop).

Insurance follows the vehicle, not the person who took out the policy. His insurance will cover you as long as you are properly licensed to operate a motorcycle.

There may be certain claims payout issues if you should have a crash and it turns out that you were not licensed to operate a motorcycle, or if you were impaired, suspended, prohibited from driving or charged with a criminal driving offence. But assuming you are operating properly and are properly licensed, you are covered and won't get into trouble.

Proving it to a cop shouldn't come up as an issue, provided that your friend hasn't reported the bike as being stolen. The cop may ask about whose bike it is, but you don't have to "prove" that you have permission to be on it.

Pretty much as Turbo calls it. However if you run a stop sign and hit someone the violation goes on your licence but the claim goes against the bike owner. I hope you would pay his insurance increases for the next 5 to 7 years.

Back
Top Bottom