Ride Saturday July 16th 2022 - Wiarton via shore roads / Gray Road 1 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride Saturday July 16th 2022 - Wiarton via shore roads / Gray Road 1

monkeyfarm

Site Supporter
Hey folks, planning to ride out to Wiarton this Saturday, I'll post my intended route and itinerary below. If anyone is interested in joining, do let me know. My wife is going in for surgery next week so I won't be able to stray too far away from home for a couple of months while she's in recovery, so might as well!

Some of this route is exploratory for me because I have never personally been on some stretches of it. If you have experience, your 2 cents are welcome.

Route:
This is the planned route heading up to Wiarton:

The route back from Wiarton is unplanned as it depends on weather, bike, and rider conditions. Could try to make it up to Tobermory but it feels like a bit of a stretch and Hwy 6 can be pretty monotonous out from Wiarton.

I'm open to taking breaks as needed and stopping to enjoy the scenery, this ride has no specific purpose other than that I want to get out and ride while life allows.

Resources:
The longest stretch without a gas station will be between Primrose and Stayner, at just under 50km. I'm packing a minimal first-aid kit, small metric tool kit, and rope plug kit. Zip-ties and gorilla tape is implied 😅...

Last edited:
Yeah I would stay off HWY 26 between Wasaga and Collingwood probably will be loaded with weekend tourists/Sunday drivers.

If I incorporate some of Sochi's recommendations, it's doable. Adds an hour to the ride on the way up but I may just take Hwy 10 back if I find that I won't make it back in time for dinner.

Or just leave earlier in the day... 🤷‍♂️

1657653770536.png

Last edited:
I did the loop from Owen Sound to Wiarton along Grey Rd and wasn't as scenic as expected as much of the way there are trees along the right side obstructing your view of the water. I will say that the temps dropped 8-10 degrees on 1 section ... brrr.

I did the loop from Owen Sound to Wiarton along Grey Rd and wasn't as scenic as expected as much of the way there are trees along the right side obstructing your view of the water. I will say that the temps dropped 8-10 degrees on 1 section ... brrr.

I guess it really depends on what you're into. I found the road very peaceful to drive down, always wanted to come back on a motorcycle.

Yeah I noticed that too while driving through a few times. Could be the wind blowing across the bay. Pretty frosty swimming in it, I imagine wind blowing over it would be pretty chilly. Works for me considering the forecast calls for temps in the high 20's.

Reactions: LBV
I'm about 15 mins from your meeting spot in Caledon so depending on what's going on I may join you ... when's kickstand up time to leave Caledon?

I'm about 15 mins from your meeting spot in Caledon so depending on what's going on I may join you ... when's kickstand up time to leave Caledon?
Flexible, I was thinking of leaving around 9am. Not too cold, not too hot. Enough time to get up there, bum around, and head back before the Saturday crowd returns to the city.

Back
Top Bottom