Ride Report: 2020 Apocalypse Ride to the Rocky Mountains | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride Report: 2020 Apocalypse Ride to the Rocky Mountains

Lightcycle

Rounder of bolts, Dropper of tools
Site Supporter
Some background on our bikes here:

Ride Report: Apocalypse Ride to the Rocky Mountains

I'm not superstitious, but I believe that how you start the morning dictates what the rest of the day is going to be like.

We're prepping for our first overnight trip with the new bike. It'll be our mini shakedown test for long-distance touring. On the morning of our departure, I perform a last minute inspection of our motorcycles.

There's a small pool of green liquid underneath my 500 EXC-F.

NOOOO!!!!

I swipe a little off the garage floor with my finger and sniff it. Doesn't smell like coolant? Plus it's very thick. I trace the leak up to the frame. It doesn't seem to have come from the coolant reservoir tank or the rad? Seems to be from under the seat. I remove the airbox cover and find a goopy mess below the air filter.

Seems I was a bit too exuberant oiling up the filter...

*phew* not a coolant leak. A quick wipe and we're ready to go.

Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that this wouldn't be the only hiccup on our trip.

map_nakusp-XL.jpg

This is our route for the next couple of days. Not mega-mileage by any stretch, but more of a test of the long-distance capabilities of my dirt-bike. After a couple of months of dirt-riding in the trails around Kelowna, we'll just be pounding out pavement miles for this run. Fun, twisty pavement miles!

I already know the 8.5L fuel tank will need constant feeding during the day. The Seat Concepts seat I installed turned out not to be Iron-Butt capable, so I'm going to try a belt-and-suspenders approach by strapping an Air Hawk cushion on top of it.

As for luggage, I'm not carrying any. Neda is bringing her trusty, old F650GS as a support vehicle. She'll be carrying an extra gas can, plus three cases full of camping gear, clothing and tools. She's already opted out of doing the trip with her Husqvarna dirt bike. Instead she'll let me conduct the endurance assessment first and then retrofit her bike according.

The goal is to see if a dirt bike can mimic the features of a long-distance endurance machine, enough to fool the casual motorcyclist.

Call it a Touring Test...

DSCN1746-XL.jpg

Kalamalka Lake

We've had a bit of a heat wave in the Okanagan the last couple of weeks, with temperatures soaring into the high 30s. Not unusual for this part of BC. This is the first week it's drifted back down into the mid 20s, so we're capitalizing on this window of "cooler" weather to conduct our test.

Highway 97 is a quick ride out of Kelowna. Although it's a commuter road to Vernon, it still has amazing views of the lakes on the eastern side.

Cracking open the throttle on the highway, the vibrations on the single-cylinder 500 magnify in intensity between 60-80 km/h. But once the speedo hits triple digits the shaking smooths out a bit and the feeling returns in my numbed hands and feet.

Note to self: need some kind of heavier bar ends or some kind of rubber-insert between the triple clamp and handlebars.

DSCN1750-XL.jpg

Watersports on the lake

We stop on 97, on a highway pullout just south of Vernon to catch a nice view of Kalamalka Lake and Cougar Canyon Reserve across the waters.

Even though the South Okanagan is technically a desert due to its low annual precipitation, there are quite a few lakes in the area. #LakeLife is a popular activity in the summer. Seems like one out of every four license plates we see on the road are Alberta plates, as the Okanagan is the playground for rich Calgarians to vacation and spend their oilfield money, trailering their expensive speedboats and skidoos across the provincial border.

This COVID crisis has created a bit of friction between the BC locals and the Alberta tourists, as their case count is considerably higher. This has led to a spate of "Red Plate Hate", as cars with the red-lettered Alberta license plates have been vandalized with notes left on windshields to "Go home!" US-plated vehicles have also been targeted as well.

Neda still has her Ontario license plates mounted, but we haven't experienced any Blue Plate Hate yet. Not enough of us here to cause a stir, I imagine.

DSCN1751-XL.jpg

Blue Plates on her bike, Blue Skies in her eyes

We chatter idly over the intercom, more to take my mind off how uncomfortable my seat is, even with the Air Hawk cushion on. I miss my old R1200GS!

The conversation turns to what we're going to have for dinner. Neda says she's going to cook us up some Jamaican rice and beans. Mmm!

And then, I remembered... we don't have any propane gas for the stove!

Oh no, hiccup #2.

DSCN1753-XL.jpg

We had to ride to a few places around Vernon before we found a place that has stove gas in stock

During COVID, anything recreational doesn't stay on store shelves very long. Including propane gas, it seems!

It's been kind of mad scramble the last couple of days. We have most of our touring gear that we shipped from Africa, with only a couple of exceptions. We weren't too impressed with the 7C synthetic sleeping bags that we bought abroad, as they didn't keep us warm enough at night. So we donated them to our friends in Cape Town before we left. Glad I remembered this, because we had to make an emergency run to MEC last night to pick up a couple of down-filled 0C sleeping bags. These should fare better in the cooler Canadian evenings.

Another item that we couldn't bring back on the plane: our half-empty propane camping gas for our stove. Something about hazardous materials... or as the label on this bottle reads, "EXTREME DANGER"... so that had to donated as well. Which is why we're scrambling all over Vernon to find a replacement, so we can have a nice cooked dinner tonight.

The temperature is climbing quickly now and we find ourselves ensnarled in Vernon traffic. We're a bit frustrated, we just want to ride and we've spent almost an hour criss-crossing the city trying to find propane gas. And now we're overheating on our bikes.

Just one last thing before we leave, I need to top up my tiny fuel tank. There's a lack of facilities between here and our stop for the night, and with just over 200 kms till the next stop, I think I may have to find another gas station before then. I haven't ran a tank dry yet on this bike, so not sure about the range yet.

We finally escape on Highway 6, east out of the city. This is a terrific motorcycle road - smooth tarmac winding and twisting through the foothills just south of Silver Star Ski Resort. Enough with commuting, this is where the real ride starts!

We zoom through tiny blink-and-you'll-miss-it BC towns like Lumby and Cherryville. I've over-inflated my 50/50 dual-sport TKC-80 tires, so the knobbies won't feel too squidgy while leaned over, and the big single-cylinder engine pulls strongly out of turns. In fact, I'm out-accelerating Neda on her F650GS mainly because of the power-to-weight ratio, since she's carrying our house, kitchen and fridge in her panniers as well.

DSCN1755-XL.jpg

Another scenic break on Mcintyre Lake on BC-6

DSCN1766-XL.jpg

Neda rummages through the fridge back there to bring out some water for us

IMG_7754-XL.jpg

Good to stretch the legs by McIntyre Lake

I'm not doing too badly on the 500 EXC-F. The Air Hawk cushion is a big fail though. I have to adjust the pad constantly because the seat is sloped forward and when I sit on the front edge of the pad, all the air gets pushed to the rear of the pad. It's basically useless.

We have another gel seat pad in storage that I can try out on our next ride, but for now, I'm just gonna have to grit through this.

DSCN1770-XL.jpg

Back on the road!

BC-6 carves its way through a valley in the Monashee Mountain Range. Right now, we're a couple of ranges over from the Rocky Mountains, which roughly form a natural border between Alberta and BC.

DSCN1782-XL.jpg

Twisties!

My odometer reads slightly over 150 kms and I haven't hit reserve yet. GPS says 50 kms to go. I may actually be able to make it all the way to our stop tonight without topping up!

I twist the throttle with joy!

My reverie (and the road) is interrupted by a large body of water: Upper Arrow Lake.

Fortunately, there's a ferry here. And best part: it's free! In fact, all the inland ferries run by the BC government are free. This is very unusual, because everything else in this province is the opposite of free. BC stands for Bring Cash.

DSCN1791-XL.jpg

Free loading on the Needles ferry!

Due to COVID measures, all passengers are instructed to stay inside their vehicles during passage. Since I'm not in a car, I want to walk over to the railing of the ferry to take some pictures, but I'm afraid the jealous drivers stuffed inside their metal cans will rat me out by honking their horns and alerting the staff! :)

DSCN1798-XL.jpg

So I stay beside the bike and enjoy the views from beside the saddle

DSCN1795-XL.jpg

The ferry shuttles between Needles on the west side of Arrow Lake to Fauquier on the far side. It's less than a km across the lake, and we're on the waters for less than 15 minutes before we're deposited on the eastern shores.

Fauquier is another tiny BC town and out of the corner of my eye, I notice that we passed by a tiny pump station set far from the road. There wasn't even a sign.

"Was that the gas station?" I radio Neda.
"Think so. Do you want to turn back?"
"50 kms to Nakusp and I'm not on reserve. I think I can make it!"
"Alright, if you think you're okay..." Doubt crept into her voice.

On this side of Upper Arrow Lake, the road hugs the shoreline and we catch glimpses of the clear blue waters every so often through the thicket of trees on our left.

The road is not as twisty as the western side, but still enjoyable. An then at around 180 kms on the odometer the yellow reserve light on my dash finally illuminates.

I'm not sure exactly how much I have left when the light goes on, so I crane my head around the side of the bike to eyeball the gas level on the translucent tank. Yeah okay, totally looks like I have enough for 20 more kms! I'm set!

We click off the kms, weaving our way through the forested road. Nakusp is getting closer and closer. 15 kms away. Another side-ways glance at the tank. Gas level looks a bit low...

10 kms. Getting a bit nervous...

5 kms. Hah! I'll make it no problem.

Neda comes over the intercom and proclaims, "Well, it looks like your little gamble has paid off!"

Not two seconds after she said that, my bike lurches backwards as the engine sputters out.

She's jinxed me. I've run out of gas.

GPS says I'm 2.2 kms away from the gas station at Nakusp.

NOOOOOOO!!!!

I coast to a stop by the side of the road.

DSCN1805-XL.jpg

Not a bad place to run out of gas, I guess...

So, just to show how unprepared we are... although Neda is carrying an extra gas can, it's empty. We never bothered filling it up, so confident that I wouldn't run out of gas.

Which I have.

So off she goes, to do the 2.2 km ride up to Nakusp, while I wait at the side of the road, taking pictures. Yet another hiccup.

Less than 15 minutes later, I see her riding back bearing life-nourishing liquids for my bike:

DSCN1807-XL.jpg

The Pour Of Shame

This is not the first time I've run out of gas on the side of the road. Won't be the last either...

gas-L.jpg

Well, at least now I know. 500 EXC-F reserve light means 15 kms till empty. Also 500 EXC-F won't do 200 kms on a tank.

Hmm... Unless maybe I granny shift up to sixth gear as often as I can?

Something to try out on my next tank of gas!

Nakusp is a quaint town, larger than the tiny ones on Hwy 6 between here and Vernon. We find a municipal camp site run by the city not too far away from the lake.

IMG_7765-XL.jpg

We haven't pitched this tent in almost a year!

Forgot how to put it together and when it's finally up, it's kind of musty-smelling. Had to air it out for a little bit...

The hot showers and washroom facilities are open, but due to COVID measures, there's a two-person occupancy limit inside.

We're starving by now, so Neda sets up our camp stove and now we reach the final hiccup of the day:

DSCN1812-XL.jpg

Who knew that there were different types of propane tank fittings?!?

Our camp stove which we bought in Africa doesn't fit this North American Coleman Stove propane tank. OMG! It's like we've never traveled by motorcycle or camped before. Ever.

We're feeling like such newbs.

Neda finds some firewood and we're prepared to make dinner over a camp fire, and then she stops.

"All my cooking utensils are plastic. They're going to melt!"

*sigh* The sandwiches that we were going to eat for breakfast becomes dinner.

We turn in for the night, more tired from all the logistics of motorcycle travel than the actual riding itself. Hopefully tomorrow will go a lot more smoother. At least the sleeping bags are warm.

To be continued...

More of our motorcycle travels at: www.RideDOT.com

No kidding...

View attachment 44756

'Love the Okanagan... 'Was in Kelowna three weeks ago, not riding, but.... still.
It's a great part of Canada.

Ya, that's around Penticton. My buddy lives a few kms from there.

The blaze is very noticeable at night. It's kind of morbid, but locals will drive down in the evening to park off the highway by the lake opposite the fires to watch them. Like watching fireworks...

This is what it looked like during the day:

blaze-XL.jpg

It's kind of morbid, but locals will drive down in the evening to park off the highway by the lake opposite the fires to watch them. Like watching fireworks...

My sister and family get into their boat on Skaha, float out and watch to see if they can see whether or not their house has burned down
:(

Just did most of this ride, in Calgary now. Nakusp is nice, I stayed in Fauquier.

If you go further north or east to get down, take the Jamison creek main haul Rd, from Kamloops, it's all gravel/logging roads, with lots of nice twists, views, and turn offs, starts in a desert and ends in the high mountains off hwy 5. I did it in the T7, so you should be fine :)

You can also start it in reverse, the start is at darlington creek forest service road off hwy 5, starts at Rainer farm, you'll see 2 big minion haystacks

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your trip Gene. For everything that's gone wrong, at least it hasn't rained.......yet.

Wonderful report Gene as always.
Just did a lot of this and am enjoying the pics once again.
Wish i was back there.

Back
Top Bottom