Requirements for Riding Dual Sport Off Road | GTAMotorcycle.com

Requirements for Riding Dual Sport Off Road

KennytehKat

I'm new to this entire thing and I'm looking into getting a dual sport so I can ride on and off road, but I'm not sure what's needed for riding a dual sport off road, do I need a blue plate and a green plate? Or will a blue plate work just fine, and if it's only a blue plate is there anything extra I need to do before riding off road

^This
Most land in ontario is owned by people, so the fantasy of just going wherever is just that, a fantasy

For passes you basically have two options. Ganaraska forest does their own thing and sells yearly membership or day pass. OFTR (Ontario federation of trail riders) has a yearly membership that allows you to ride Simcoe county forest and a couple other areas. I would start with the OFTR website and go from there.

You’re also good on some crown land. Google Crown Land Policy Atlas and see if you can make sense of it. I can’t so I don’t bother.

I used to look around at all the empty land and forests and think to myself, wow if I had a dirt bike or dual sport, I could just go anywhere...

nope designated areas only, I was but a child then

For passes you basically have two options. Ganaraska forest does their own thing and sells yearly membership or day pass. OFTR (Ontario federation of trail riders) has a yearly membership that allows you to ride Simcoe county forest and a couple other areas. I would start with the OFTR website and go from there.

You’re also good on some crown land. Google Crown Land Policy Atlas and see if you can make sense of it. I can’t so I don’t bother.

With OFTR will I be able to ride on those trails with a dual sport that's registered for street riding?

With OFTR will I be able to ride on those trails with a dual sport that's registered for street riding?
If your question is; can you ride anywhere with a green plate that you can Not ride with a blue plate, no. Green plate (off-road plate) buys you nothing over a blue plate. But there are places where a green plate does not cover you. Most roadways and urban areas require the blue (on-road) plate. On private property or closed course competition events you don't need any plate at all other then a great big racing number plate.

Yes. Doesn't matter that it is registered for street riding just that it is registered, insured, have a pass or membership for whatever area you're riding and lastly the exhaust has to be under 94db and equipped with a spark arrestor. I don't know a ton about current dual sports, if they have a spark arrestor or not from the factory. I focus more on the competition models so I can't help you there.

... for the most part modern street legal bikes run a catalytic converter and under normal circumstances that makes for a very effective spark arrestor. The whole bike might burst into flames, but what comes out the pipe should pass inspection.

Sidenote: 4-stroke motorcycles typically add a spark arrestor screen on the air filter if that filter is foam or felt and intended to be coated with oil that is inherently flammable. Two-cycle engines do not need this additional precaution. The danger being that combustion flames could escape past the intake poppet valve and poof you have a tiny fire.

So as long as the bike is licensed and insured I should be good then, that's all I needed to know, thanks for answering my question guys

Unless you are trespassing.

Plus I don't think you can make a claim if you are riding in a competition event, don't know, maybe you can,
that would be very cool but highly unlikely. Hello insurance company :unsure: my motorcycle fell into the Ottawa River and was swept away by the current am I covered? :LOL: you what!

Back
Top Bottom