Repairing cracks in fairings? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Repairing cracks in fairings?

Crazy glue and baking soda is a great solution for repairing plastics however it doesn't stand up as well to stress and vibration unless it's really well reinforced. I find it works great for fixing chips and small trim pieces, not so much for fairing cracks and never for repairing fairing tabs or bosses.

You can get the Crazy Glue and baking soda at any dollar store.

Yes its is a bit brittle. Experience has shown there is a huge difference in quality of glue . The stuff at a real hobby store is usually fresher … I used to repair a one of those push in tabs that side panels used and it lasted for years .. BUT you do have to reinforce it well , I usually used fiberglass cloth or and or loose glass fibers from the cloth …. I'm sure there are better epoxies and glues, but it is handy... I

So I might actually have to tackle a different part of the fairing first. Where the windshield and outer fairing and dash meet on my right side there’s a super annoying rattle/buzz while driving in high revs (don’t know how it took me this long to realize that was the cause). Will probably just JB weld them together. Or pull it apart and see what else I can do to keep the buzz away.

So I might actually have to tackle a different part of the fairing first. Where the windshield and outer fairing and dash meet on my right side there’s a super annoying rattle/buzz while driving in high revs (don’t know how it took me this long to realize that was the cause). Will probably just JB weld them together. Or pull it apart and see what else I can do to keep the buzz away.
When I put buzzy fairings back together I line the seams with thin strips self adhesive EVA foam. It's also useful on the back side of fairings to reduce vibration and sound. Just be careful to keep it at least 3" from exhaust pipes.

When I put buzzy fairings back together I line the seams with thin strips self adhesive EVA foam. It's also useful on the back side of fairings to reduce vibration and sound. Just be careful to keep it at least 3" from exhaust pipes.
I need something that can take heat and 'not' smell like burning horse hair.

... thinking about pulling a Burt Monro and tearing apart an old toaster :|

I need something that can take heat and 'not' smell like burning horse hair.

... thinking about pulling a Burt Monro and tearing apart an old toaster :|
Cut up some silicone oven mitts or cookie sheets. Good for about 300 C.

I'm thinking it might be Mica or asbestos type heat, it seems to be serious hot.

EVA works fine, it's as heat tolerant as the fairings. If you go within 3" of an exhaust, you can get foil backed EVA that works fine. Next time you see a GSXR1300 peek under the side fairing, they are completely lined with 6mm EVA to stabilize vibration and for head and sound insulation. I had one, that's where I learned.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of my situation.

Problem here is that it's in a place where three plastic parts meet - windshield, outer fairing, and dash.

JB weld would keep it all together. But disassembly would be very difficult after.

Tape can do it maybe, but will look ugly as sin.

Ugh.

Attachments

• IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 10
How about just using 5 minute epoxy and break it apart when you need to disassemble?
... or hot melt glue

Last edited:
How about just using 5 minute epoxy and break it apart when you need to disassemble?

I guess breaking it apart would be an option too.

I got that clear quick-set JB epoxy. it should probably do the trick and seal up nicely. As long as breaking it apart wont also break the fairings.

Hot melt is what I used on my BMW wind deflector, is easy to clean off and re-apply. Just don't burn your fingers like I always do.

Update on the windscreen BS. Managed to unscrew the fairing a bit and pop the tab back into place. Now instead of being a 4-5mm gap its only 1-2mm.. Still buzzes in the mid and upper RPM range. Realizing shoving a bunch of epoxy in there might not be the best fix. Thinking either to hell with it and just tape to get the sound to go away, or possible shoving some 3M adhesive foam in there or something? Gap is very small so to put anything in I'd probably have to pull it open again and line the bottom edge of the windscreen with something before reassembly.

Alternatively, I can just disassemble the entire fairing system at the front and see if there are other tabs that have been pulled out or if I can just fit it together a bit better. That being said, there are the other cracks on the fairings I mentioned before which probably wouldn't help with fitting everything together better.

Back
Top Bottom