Question on plating a bike ive had for a few years | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question on plating a bike ive had for a few years

Gnarlyswine

I purchased a bike in 2009 but for various reasons didnt get my licence or plate it at that time ( no I havent been riding without).
I registered at the time so showed the safety etc. at that time.

My question is now that im ready to plate it will I have to get another safety done? Or will the fact that a safety was produced at the time of my registration cover me?

Gb

I purchased a bike in 2009 but for various reasons didnt get my licence or plate it at that time ( no I havent been riding without).
I registered at the time so showed the safety etc. at that time.

My question is now that im ready to plate it will I have to get another safety done? Or will the fact that a safety was produced at the time of my registration cover me?

Gb

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If its registered no. But I'm not 100% sure. Best bet call the m.t.o. to get the sure fire answer.

Edit- sorry about the double post. Frigging phone does this sometimes

I'm a little confused.

You have a bike, it's been sitting.. no plates correct?

On the ownership part, does it say UNFIT anywhere or UNPLATED?

Safety's are only good for 36 days and if I recall are required for transfer of ownership. You shouldn't have to produce another safety. If the bike is UNFIT, then you will for sure.

Correct - its sat in my Garage unplated , Occasionally turned over , maintained , ridden up and down my drive.

On the plate section it says UNPLATED - not Unfit.

Last edited:
Ok Thanks - I called MTO previously but they were as clear as mud - they alluded to what you said but didnt give a definitive answer.
I have the insurance (or at least the temporary coverage ) so will find out soon enough I guess. ill update what happens.
GB

If you registered it fit last time then you don't need safety, even if it was 100 years ago.
Pretty much that's the difference safety makes on the ownership. Without it, it's deemed unfit and you need safety before plating it.
In your case, all you need is the insurance policy number.

Yup - no problems. Now lets jsut hope for a few dryish days.

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I have a question very similar to this one.

I bought my bike last year with no intent of insuring it or riding until this year (i'll be 25 in two weeks). When I registered the vehicle it was registered with "UNPLATED" on the ownership, not UNFIT.

I, unlike the OP, did NOT get it safetied and did not show any safety.

I tried calling the MTO help desk today and they were as rude as always, giving me no clear answer. My question: do I need to get the safety done before I can get the plates? I'm fine if I do, but would rather save the money if I don't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If they have no record of it receiving a safety inspection, at the time of ownership transfer, then yes you'll need to have an inspection performed before it can be plated.

Thank you Rob - that's all I needed to know (without being made to feel like an idiot by the MTO).

Much appreciated!

If they have no record of it receiving a safety inspection, at the time of ownership transfer, then yes you'll need to have an inspection performed before it can be plated.

He said it was registered as unplated not unfit. Why would they ask for a safety unless you asked them to double check if it has been done?

He said it was registered as unplated not unfit. Why would they ask for a safety unless you asked them to double check if it has been done?

Because it would have been noted whether or not a safety certificate had been presented, at the time of transfer. When transferring a vehicle as "unplated" no certificate is required, until it is ultimately plated.

Back
Top Bottom