Proof I did it again! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Proof I did it again!

Morrissey

I did my 2nd IronButt ride back in August 2018, submitted the paperwork in January and got my certificate in February. This was a tough ride for me. It was 40c that day and the heat made it very hard. My ride started in Peterborough and went to Pembroke, North Bay, Timmins, Sudbury, Toronto and back to Peterborough. I'm looking forward to doing another ride this year and have a few different rides percolating in the back of my brain. Just not sure which one I'll attempt this year.

Congrats! If it makes you feel better i did a 5 day ride in Thailand, 46 degrees in full gear, i'll let you consider what the humidity probably was. At red lights i was cooking for sure.

Geez.... I should have put in for a cert last summer...
I did 1000km 1200km days all the way to BC.

At this point I've done a number of 1,050 - 1,100 km days over about 11 - 12 hours. I find anything over 800 - 900 km a day crosses the point where riding is enjoyable and the last couple of hours are an unpleasant ordeal. Thought of doing another 500 km after the initial 1,100 km is a bit mind boggling.

Congrats. Myself and 2 friends are going out to the Black Hills (and Sturgis for 1 day of the rally at the opening night) in August and are planning to do 2 iron butts as part of the trip - A Bun Burner on the way out, and if we are feeling good, we may try a Bun Burner Gold on the way back - or another regular Bun Burner if we decide to go with a slower pace - depends how we feel. Worst case, another SS1000 for sure.

They are also experience IBA riders so these should be pretty easy for us especially considering the straightforward route with pretty much all 401/interstate riding.

find anything over 800 - 900 km a day crosses the point where riding is enjoyable and the last couple of hours are an unpleasant ordeal.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure. I absolutely love it - I get into a zenlike state and the miles just whizz by. My bike is exceptionally comfortable as it is, but I also have an AirHawk that I throw on my Ultimate seat for the long days. That helps a lot - I get off at the end of the ride and am not crippled or achy at all. I can't wait for the BBG!

Unfortunately the IBA stuff is all based on miles, not kms.
So the Saddlesore certificates start at 1000 miles, which explains the 1600K (1650 kms) certificate above.
IBA member 44913

You are correct. The IBA does have several metric certifications but they all correspond with the original mile based rides. SS1000 = SS1600k (You actually have to do 1620k) BB1500 = BB2500k etc. The only anomaly is the SS2000k (24hrs) which doesn't actually line up with any mile based rides.

Each time I do one of these rides I refine either my gear or my bike. After my first SS1000 I refined my Bandit 600 into an ST1300! After last year's ride bar risers and LD comfort shorts are on order and possibly a whole new riding suit if $$ allows. I've been rocking the same Joe Rocket jacket since 2004, so I figure I'm due for some new gear! Also giving serious thought to purchasing a "Moto Jug". http://www.motojug.com/

Also giving serious thought to purchasing a "Moto Jug". http://www.motojug.com/

Wow. I obviously don't like riding as much as you do.

I personally don't mind stopping at the side of the road every couple of hours to pull out a bottle of water if I'm thirsty. With a tankbag and a modular helmet, your stop doesn't even have to last longer than 45 seconds...

But to each their own! :)

I don't have a modular helmet or a tank bag and on lots of rides I don't stop until I need gas, which in my case is 450ish KM. That's too long to ride without some fluids. The MotoJug's lanyard for the spout can be attached to a tank bag or to your jacket, which makes taking a sip super easy and when you let go, the lanyard returns the spout so you can do the whole thing one handed on the fly and only take your hand off the bars for a couple of seconds.

I don't have a modular helmet or a tank bag and on lots of rides I don't stop until I need gas, which in my case is 450ish KM. That's too long to ride without some fluids. The MotoJug's lanyard for the spout can be attached to a tank bag or to your jacket, which makes taking a sip super easy and when you let go, the lanyard returns the spout so you can do the whole thing one handed on the fly and only take your hand off the bars for a couple of seconds.
In Thailand i used a camel back, i wore it under my backpack (hand't planned to wear the backpack but but had some mishaps). I was able to navigate the tube under/over my full face (non modular) easily and sip at will with both hands on the bar. when i finished the slack tightened up and it returned to wear i mounted it on my shoulder.

Moto Jug is a neat idea!

IIRC some long distance rider actually wore a catheter so he didn't have to stop to pee. I can't remember if it collected somewhere or it just emptied out on the highway like the toilets do on some trains...

The guy who set the Canada Coast to Coast record did this. I believe his name is Thane Silliker. I don't remember his time, but he set the record several years ago and I don't believe anyone has come close to touching it since. He did it on his ST1100 which now has somewhere around 500k on it! The max time to complete the Canada Coast to Coast (Halifax to Vancouver or Vancouver to Halifax) is 90hrs.

Back
Top Bottom