Plexus Plastic Cleaner waaay overpriced now - here are some excellent alternatives | GTAMotorcycle.com

Plexus Plastic Cleaner waaay overpriced now - here are some excellent alternatives

ike

Site Supporter
I have used Plexus for years to clean my motorcycle windshield, my helmet, visor, etc. It was unquestionably the best plastic cleaner/polish on the market and was pretty competitively priced at about $12 - $13 for a large can. I went to buy a new can of Plexus today and was shocked to discover the price had shot up to $26 per can (with taxes, that is almost 30 bucks!) Obviously, an alternative had to be found. Here are a couple of very worthy alternatives at about 1/3 to 1/4 the price of Plexus. Both these products seem to perform as well as Plexus for cleaning and polishing too!!!
Anyway, the IPONE is available at GP Bikes in Whitby and the Honda cleaner at a Honda dealer (but GP bikes is going to try and stock it as well.)

Happy cleaning!

where the heck was plexus being sold for $26 a can?!?!

I use Plexus on visors and windshields as well.And the Honda polish is good as well.But household Pledge is just as good as both.

Pledge does work well for bike plastics, but not as well on the visor.. leaves a kind of film on it.. I dont find it all that much cheaper then plexus though.. Royal and my local stealership (st-onge) have large cans of plexus for 21.95, pledge will run you about 8 bucks a can, but the cans are much smaller AND it dosent spray on nearly as fine as the plexus.. a can wont go nearly as far IMHO.

As for the other two mentioned, i have no experience with them.

Small can of Plexus (not too small, 198g) is now $18 bucks!
Probably the biggest can anyone would need though - large can is like lifetime supply.
Great stuff, smells good too.
Also fixes CDs and DVDs that are skipping...

Wingboy.... never thought of using Pledge for my plastics... great idea! Does it clean the bug carcasses off of the plastic as well as the other products, or does it just wax over the them?

Caboose.... Thanks for the tip on Motul Wash n Wax. Price is very reasonable at $9 for a large can!

Gryphon.... I would use a small can in no time. When I am out on the twisties, I sometimes have a video cam mounted on the bike looking through the windshield. If the windshield isnt spotlessly clean, the cam autofocusses on the dead bugs instead of the scenery. This dictates that I have to clean my windshield nearly every stop. Also, if you have been riding up in the Peterborough area in the evening in June, you will find that your visor gets so plastered with bugs that you have to clean it every half-hour or so.

If the Pledge is $8 per can, the other motorcycle-specific cleaner/polishes are pretty price competitive with that. The IPONE is still the cheapest at $12.99 for a gigantic 750 ml can (but not too convenient to carry along.)

Wingboy.... never thought of using Pledge for my plastics... great idea! Does it clean the bug carcasses off of the plastic as well as the other products, or does it just wax over the them?

If you have a lot of bugs guts to clean,lay some HOT wet towels over them for a few minutes before scrubbing.The bugs little toenails and wing parts can scrach paint.I carry pledge with me on long tours because you can buy it anywhere.I bought 3 large cans of Plexus from a track buddy a few weeks ago for $10!

Caboose.... Thanks for the tip on Motul Wash n Wax. Price is very reasonable at $9 for a large can!

Just make sure you don't get the Shine N Go. The cans look very similar. Shine N Go leaves a film which is shiny but annoying, the Wash N Wax wipes off clean.

If you have a lot of bugs guts to clean,lay some HOT wet towels over them for a few minutes before scrubbing.The bugs little toenails and wing parts can scrach paint.I carry pledge with me on long tours because you can buy it anywhere.I bought 3 large cans of Plexus from a track buddy a few weeks ago for $10!

+1.

Don't waste all sorts of cleaner on bugs. If the bugs are bad I have found that soaking the bike/visor with dish soap and hot water does a great job of breaking up the bug guts. Leave it for a few minutes then wipe it down with a sponge.. After that the Wash N Wax (or Plexus or whatver you're using) is a very quick job and she'll be squeaky clean.

Thats the great thing about Plexus (and similar cleaners). The bug guts just seem to dissolve and wipe right off first time - no soaking, no scrubbing, no scratching.

Hey, wanna get rid of some of that Plexus? I'll give you double what you paid for it! LOL!!!!

lol, thanks for the tip. I bought my bike rattled matte black. After the first few weeks in the country, it's more like a ghetto-metallic-white-snowflake-flat-black colour.

I love the honda polish. Was using plexus too until the price skyrocketed (already last year I think). 9 bucks a can and it smells just as good. FOams a bit more but I like it.

Guys,
Don't EVER use hot water (or hot sponges or hot towels) on your windshield or helmet visors.
Hot water softens the plastic and it will easily scratch.
Use only cold water + time, of course.
I thought all bikers knew this already...?

Back
Top Bottom