phone/engine connection | GTAMotorcycle.com

phone/engine connection

Mine does, I am sure there other bikes with ODBII connectors.
I don,t know about sportsbikes but I believe most fuel injected cruisers have ODBII.

Mine does, I am sure there other bikes with ODBII connectors.
I don,t know about sportsbikes but I believe most fuel injected cruisers have ODBII.

I know of no Japanese motorcycle that is OBD-II compliant.

I did not know that there are no japanese bikes that are ODBII compliant.
Thanks for the heads up.
How do Japanese bike mechanics do a computerized systems check on fuel injected engines?
Do they use a different connection other than ODBII?

The Triumphs are OBD compliant not OBD II but use an OBD II connector for diagnostics. This is what is used to re-flash the ECU for tuning purposes. I think Suzuki uses a Keihin ECU similar to the Triumph one so may have the same plug for diagnostics?

Thanks for the heads up.
How do Japanese bike mechanics do a computerized systems check on fuel injected engines?

Most have their own diagnostic system built into the ECU, which can display fault codes on the gauges...Suzuki does so via their C-codes, and Kawis do it by a series of flashes that you translate into codes using the service manual...You simply jump a wire under the seat or trunk, to get it into "dealer mode" and display the fault codes

Thanks for the heads up.

In addition to the jumper-with-a-paper-clip to get it to flash a code through the MIL, there is generally a proprietary connector for connecting to a manufacturer-specific diagnostic scan device ... which no dealer seems to ever have.

I do not know if that proprietary connector uses any sort of standardized communication protocol. I do know that some motorcycles are beginning to use CANbus, which would imply the use of a standardized communication protocol between the CANbus-enabled devices, and at that point it only makes sense to enable a diagnostic connector using that protocol.

by the way, CANbus on vehicles is similar to DeviceNet on industrial equipment, and *everyone* is using that nowadays; it's not rocket science and it saves A TON of wiring ... On these new bikes with EFI and traction control and ABS and electronic instrument panels and at least some element of drive-by-wire, it makes sense to communicate signals over CANbus rather than discrete wiring for each signal.

This is what I have, it connects with Bluetooth to my GPS.
works great!
http://www.garmin.com/us/extras/services/ecoroute

But only if you are dealing with an OBD-II compliant vehicle.

This may be of interest to some of you.
If you have an Iphone I pod or I phone or Driod, you can get a constant monitoring of your engines functions.
http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwibluetooth/
I bought an ELM327 off E-Bay for about $15. Bluetooth, OBDII. Works fine with the software I've tried out of the app store. Tried it on my Mazda and Toyota without issues.

One of the more interesting things is people use these to show engine information overlayed onto track video. You can find apps for this for Droid in the market and I'm sure there is the same for iPhone.

Again, all car related, though.

Back
Top Bottom