Patch on a jacket | GTAMotorcycle.com

Patch on a jacket

HespelerGuy

Site Supporter
I have a Joe Rocket textile jacket and I'd like to add a big Kawasaki Vulcan patch to the back.

Where would I go to get someone to do this? Thoughts?

Cheers, Rick

Do you have the patch? Any chance it is adhesive backed? Personally, I would sew it on (use a thimble or the palm pad that leather workers use). Otherwise, check the gtam thread where the guy wanted straps sewn that contains recommendations for harness makers, upholsterers, mennonites etc. Most patches are a prick to sew through and I would expect most places that sew clothes wouldn't want to deal with them.

Cambridge source for sports . 4-1710 Bishop St. N, Cambridge, ON
Stitch Wizard - 180 Shearson Crescent Cambridge, ON
terezleather 3333 Lake Shore Blvd. W. Etobicoke ON or at the bike shows..
Digi-Stitch Embroidery & Digitizing Kitchener, On (519) 503-7754
Keleher's Western Wear, Cambridge, ON

Cambridge source for sports . 4-1710 Bishop St. N, Cambridge, ON
Stitch Wizard - 180 Shearson Crescent Cambridge, ON
terezleather 3333 Lake Shore Blvd. W. Etobicoke ON or at the bike shows..
Digi-Stitch Embroidery & Digitizing Kitchener, On (519) 503-7754
Keleher's Western Wear, Cambridge, ON

Perfect - thanks!!

Look for a seamstress or shoe maker in your area. Assuming the patch is fabric it is best to sew it on. A sewn patch will lie flatter and be less prone to peel off.

You have an inner liner and the outer layer of your jacket. Find a place where you can separate the inner liner from the outer layer. Sometimes it is at the bottom of the jacket, sometimes you can see it on the inside liner of a sleeve, sometimes it is along the zipper, there are many methods used, so look carefully. This will give you access within the jacket to sew the patch on to only the outer layer. You want the inner liner to be free of the patch as when you don and doff the jacket the liner should be free to move and allow you to slide into the jacket. If you have any holes in your pockets or any other rips in the outer layer you can do these repairs as well, from the inside.

Yes, it is easier and cheaper to sew through the two layers, but don't do it. The inner liner is meant to move independently.

Attach the patch to the outer layer using some spray on adhesive, just to keep it in place. You could pin it, but the pins might move. Using upholstery thread sew the patch to the outer layer only. You could try to use a home machine. It will be awkward but with care and patience it can be done. A patcher sewing machine, mean for sewing shoes, has a long arm and will be easier. You shove the long arm through the hole and start sewing.

The last step is to resew the hole between the inner liner and the outer layer. If you do the job properly then you'll not need to do it again in the future!

Look for a seamstress or shoe maker in your area. Assuming the patch is fabric it is best to sew it on. A sewn patch will lie flatter and be less prone to peel off.

You have an inner liner and the outer layer of your jacket. Find a place where you can separate the inner liner from the outer layer. Sometimes it is at the bottom of the jacket, sometimes you can see it on the inside liner of a sleeve, sometimes it is along the zipper, there are many methods used, so look carefully. This will give you access within the jacket to sew the patch on to only the outer layer. You want the inner liner to be free of the patch as when you don and doff the jacket the liner should be free to move and allow you to slide into the jacket. If you have any holes in your pockets or any other rips in the outer layer you can do these repairs as well, from the inside.

Yes, it is easier and cheaper to sew through the two layers, but don't do it. The inner liner is meant to move independently.

Attach the patch to the outer layer using some spray on adhesive, just to keep it in place. You could pin it, but the pins might move. Using upholstery thread sew the patch to the outer layer only. You could try to use a home machine. It will be awkward but with care and patience it can be done. A patcher sewing machine, mean for sewing shoes, has a long arm and will be easier. You shove the long arm through the hole and start sewing.

The last step is to resew the hole between the inner liner and the outer layer. If you do the job properly then you'll not need to do it again in the future!

Fantastic. Thanks for the info and suggestions!

Rick

I have a Joe Rocket textile jacket and I'd like to add a big Kawasaki Vulcan patch to the back.

Where would I go to get someone to do this? Thoughts?

Cheers, Rick

Dry cleaning outfits like Barth's do this kind of work for pretty cheap.

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom