Passed my M1, need advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Passed my M1, need advice

RodneyBR

Site Supporter
I passed my M1 and would like advice from experienced riders, before I hit the streets. I spent a lot of time road off-road when I was younger, but I'm a little weary of the street and all the crazy drivers on it.

I purchased a 2006 Yamaha TW200 as a starter bike and I hope to get in a few weeks of riding before doing the M2 road test (probably at Durham College).

Not sure what advice you're looking for.

Your experience off-road means that you have the basic operation skills already - so the battle is half won.
Now you just have to get used to drivers sharing your space. Experience is the best teacher, and after a certain amount of theory and talking, going out there and riding for hours and hours and hours is the only way to improve.

Nice little bike, from the sounds of it you know how the michanics work with the off road factor. Take it to a parking lot and treat it like the road. Work on stop and go since your gonna do it a lot around the city ;P TAke some left and right hand speaps. Practice emergancy breaking and then take it to the road. Ride like they dont see you at all times. You will get cut off and people will show you no respect on the road. Be safe.

Take the M1 exit course to get your M2. When I took it last year, there were a number of people there who rode dirt bikes and the like, and told me that they were really glad that they tool the course. Plus, your M1 runs out really quick and they test you for the M2 at the end.

Don't ride like an jackass, watch out for cabs, watch out for streetcar tracks, be aware of your surroundings, and don't drive drunk... and you'll be fine! ;)

...watch out for cabs...

+1 Cabs are farking evil -- its like they are trying to kill you. In my m2 class they said people turning left at intersections in front of you are the biggest accident causes, but I have my money on it being a cab that sneaks up on me and cuts me off that has my number on it...

Are you referring to the one at Durham College?

Take the M1 exit course to get your M2. When I took it last year, there were a number of people there who rode dirt bikes and the like, and told me that they were really glad that they tool the course. Plus, your M1 runs out really quick and they test you for the M2 at the end.

+1 Cabs are farking evil -- its like they are trying to kill you. In my m2 class they said people turning left at intersections in front of you are the biggest accident causes, but I have my money on it being a cab that sneaks up on me and cuts me off that has my number on it...

I've never had this problem before. I know when they're about to cut me off and before they do, I turn my head to them and they back off. Am I scary looking? =( Hahaha

If you want to ease into it, get up early one Sunday morning and drive the streets before there are any cars. Then start mingling with a bit of traffic. At first, it feels pretty naked being surrounded by cars while on a bike, but eventually you come to trust that most times (but not ALL times) the cars see you and treat you like another car. Best advice I ever received was ride like you're invisible. Stay out of everyone's blind spots and use caution when passing cars.

Back
Top Bottom