Our Experiences with Air Canada Fly Your Bike 2019 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Our Experiences with Air Canada Fly Your Bike 2019

If you are talking Air Canada or West Jet ...you just leave a couple liters in the bike.....1/4 tank they say.

Did you have to drain the gas and fill up this side? I'd presume that much but just wanted to check as I'm sure to bring a L of gas when I'm off to pick up the bike in the destination port. Enjoy the west coast.

Yep, quarter tank of gas allowed, which will be checked by the Dangerous Goods inspection. Guy didn't believe the gas gauge when it showed the bike was on reserve, and had us open the gas tank, and then he shone a flashlight in there. So thorough!!!

We knew where the gas station was near Pearson Airport, but if you don't know the layout of your destination airport, I'd hit Google Maps and pre-scope it out, so you're not wasting time and and your 1/4 tank of gas riding around on the other side.

Where you shipping to?

Where you shipping to?

Cool, thx both for the reply. As for where? Not sure yet, definitely London so I can start the London to Sin trip next summer or the one after that. Before that, probably to Vancouver and Santiago. Just collecting info so I can execute when it's time to go.

Cool, thx both for the reply. As for where? Not sure yet, definitely London so I can start the London to Sin trip next summer or the one after that. Before that, probably to Vancouver and Santiago. Just collecting info so I can execute when it's time to go.

Nice! Hit me up when when you're in Vancouver. We just got a place here, can put you up for a while.

North America again. We realized after we had left that we rushed through it, so we're going to do it properly, explore all the nooks and crannies that we missed the first time. It's a big place full of amazing roads and wondrous things to see, and we were in such a rush to explore the rest of the world that we didn't spend enough time here.

Wow Air Canada got something right! I avoid that airline as customer service is not their thing.

North America again. We realized after we had left that we rushed through it, so we're going to do it properly, explore all the nooks and crannies that we missed the first time. It's a big place full of amazing roads and wondrous things to see, and we were in such a rush to explore the rest of the world that we didn't spend enough time here.
I like that. In my younger days I did every state and province (except HI and PEI) by road. I never used Interstates, all blue highways. All together about 70,000km, which leaves me a few million km to explore. I do want to cross Asia some day, but with so much to see in North America I won't be sad if I never complete that wish.

Hope you have fun poking around North America.

I like that. In my younger days I did every state and province (except HI and PEI) by road. I never used Interstates, all blue highways. All together about 70,000km, which leaves me a few million km to explore. I do want to cross Asia some day, but with so much to see in North America I won't be sad if I never complete that wish.

Hope you have fun poking around North America.
Why no PEI? Not that you missed much, I enjoyed the roads in every other Atlantic province more, but it just seems strange to skip it went you went everywhere else.

Why no PEI? Not that you missed much, I enjoyed the roads in every other Atlantic province more, but it just seems strange to skip it went you went everywhere else.
I've been there several times, never had the chance to explore. I had planned to head there this summer but the stars didn't line up for the trip. I'll keep it on my list.

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-04-09%2520at%2520Apr%252C%25209%2520%2520%2520%25202015%2520%2520%2520%25201.41.36%2520AM.jpg

On the ferry on the one end ...over the bridge on the other ... :D But unless you are an Anne of Green Gables fan...not a lot else.

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-04-09%2520at%2520Apr%252C%25209%2520%2520%2520%25202015%2520%2520%2520%25201.41.36%2520AM.jpg

On the ferry on the one end ...over the bridge on the other ... :D But unless you are an Anne of Green Gables fan...not a lot else.
That was literally the most boring road I have ever ridden in my life. There isn't even anything to look at as the walls are so tall. Speed cameras along the way means you can't shorten the pain.

PEI has a lot to offer. Beautiful beaches, fantastic golf courses and excellent seafood. It's connection with nature is very diverse.

Hi Guys does any one know what the total cost is to ship a bike and fly on the same flight is? I am a Canadian going back.
I want to do all the strapping down and drop at the warehouse. And what about taxes etc the bike over 15 years old.

Hi Guys does any one know what the total cost is to ship a bike and fly on the same flight is? I am a Canadian going back.
I want to do all the strapping down and drop at the warehouse. And what about taxes etc the bike over 15 years old.
You should start your own thread as there is a lot of depth in your question.

Going back from where to where?

Airline tickets are notorious for wielding varying prices depending on demand. I know of no better way than just gathering numbers yourself (I like to run the tools that show you the prices over a range of days if my schedule is flexible, that can sometimes save you 50%).

Importing the bike to stay here is a whole level beyond. There are some great threads here on what is required to do that legally. The short answer is there needs to be some paperwork done and the border notified days before you attempt to import the bike. Ignoring the procedure will get you bike stuck in purgatory with no way to legally ride it on the road.

Air Canada and West Jet allows at least a liter of gas to remain in the tank. Seems a bit vague as Westjet said 1/4 tank and I had to go back and drain some more as the CBX has a large reserve.
MotoMaster Siphon Hose
this is useful :D

MK You don't strap the bike down ...let the pros do that. You can leave luggage on it but has to remain open for inspection.
Canadian going back ??? explain. If it's a personal possession I doubt there is tax if you bought it elsewhere and owned it for more than a year.

Generally I prefer to send the bike a day ahead so I know it is there waiting.

These guys can handle it all end to end for you.

Last edited:
These guys can handle it all end to end for you.

Not true. We used Motorcycle Express the first time we shipped to Europe and there was considerably more running around than shipping with Air Canada. I already outlined this earlier:

How does AC Cargo "Fly Your Bike 2019" compare to Motorcycle Express (Air Transat Cargo) 2007?

- Surprisingly, the dollar cost has pretty much remained the same. I think there are economies of scale with more people shipping motorcycles across the Atlantic resulting in a cheaper price now, accounting for inflation, than it was back in 2007.

- Air Canada has the process streamlined. With Air Transat, we had to do a lot of running around, paying different companies ourselves in cash. With AC, it was a single payment, which can be done with a credit card, which alleviates a lot of headache. However, if you want to save money, pay locally in cash, instead of in Canada.

- No battery disconnect, no modification to the bikes required to fit the very ample and sturdy metal shipping container. Definitely a plus for Air Canada Cargo.

Well done, Air Canada Cargo! Would definitely ship with them again!

I did say CAN ....that's what they claim. End to end care ....good to know reality not quite the claim

I will be using AirCanada next time as I found some of the policies annoying and niggling charges which almost offset any savings.

Back
Top Bottom