Oiling & life of foam air filters | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oiling & life of foam air filters

Big fan of the green no toil and twin air filters. MX I clean my filters every ride and trail riding every couple of rides. I use oxi clean when I run out of the no toil cleaner. I get a long service life out of my filters, hang to dry and lightly oil. No wringing which leads to tearing the foam filters.

Do you just gently swish it in a sink of soapy water? Maybe periodically giving it a gentle squeeze?

Do you just gently swish it in a sink of soapy water? Maybe periodically giving it a gentle squeeze?
If your asking me about the no toil....then yes pretty much.
1. rinse the filters from the inside out under the tap to get the heavy dirt out. You don’t need to go crazy with the water pressure here.
2. fill a bucket with water and the no toil cleaner or oxiclean. Toss the filters in for 30 minutes or so to soak. I may gentle move them around to agitate them and get some of the tougher dirt out.
4. rinse again from inside out. They should be clean at this point otherwise go back to soaking them in the bucket again.
3. Hang to dry.
4. I put no toil in Tupperware at the start of the season and then dip the filter in lightly to cover it. You only need a thin layer. Don’t go crazy and soak it. If you do you will end up having to squeeze out the excess which leads to tearing the filter.

Don’t go crazy and soak it. If you do you will end up having to squeeze out the excess which leads to tearing the filter.

Or it'll drip down and leave a green mess under your bike. Then you'll freak out the next day thinking you've got a coolant leak.

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt (which I used as a rag to clean up the mess).

Thanks. My last question here I promise - what about the rim grease. Is it important?

Thanks. My last question here I promise - what about the rim grease. Is it important?

I use it.

I know many people think it's unnecessary. But I noticed the factory also used it on the original filter, so I think they must know something...

I think if you don't clean your filter often and it happens to get really dirty, there's more of a chance air (and dirt) could slip in pass the seal since that becomes an easier path of entry. The rim grease is just cheap insurance to provide a better seal.

@Lightcycle gave you the correct answer. If your going to go the no toil route make sure you use their grease to keep all your products biodegradable and easy to clean up.

With that said I don’t run rim grease. I’m on two strokes and have them apart fairly often. I haven’t found any evidence of dirt getting past the filter.

After rereading the posts I have one more question (I lied) or perhaps a clarification ( I didn't lie...?)
Are you guys just dippiong the outer surface of the filter in oil to coat it? I was trying to impregnate the whole thing, going so far as to pour it inside the filter as well. Is that overkill?

Underrated
1613319076621.png

After rereading the posts I have one more question (I lied) or perhaps a clarification ( I didn't lie...?)
Are you guys just dippiong the outer surface of the filter in oil to coat it? I was trying to impregnate the whole thing, going so far as to pour it inside the filter as well. Is that overkill?
Put enough oil on it so that it is completely covered, but won't drip off. When you are done, you shouldn't get very much on a paper towel if you squeeze it gently."Gentle" is the key word.

I always have a couple of air filters: one on the bike and one oiled up and ready to switch in.

I just use a couple of tablespoons of filter oil inside a ziplock bag and then work the oil into the filter while it's inside the bag.

That way your hands don't get all messy, and when you're done, you can leave the filter in the bag until you're ready to install it. When you take the old, used filter out of your bike, after washing it, you can use the same ziplock bag to re-oil and store, so there's very little wastage.

If I was more organized, I'd have three or four filters, then clean and oil them all of them at the same time to cut down on time and use less detergent.

But I'm not that organized.

Ok, so I did some reading up on this topic and even watched a couple of videos to see what folks out there state.

So far, I have yet to come across any details on the effectiveness of dirty foam filters performing better (upto a certain point) than a clean, oiled filter.
And there has been backlash about folks using WD-40 and Gas as cleaners since it seems to deteriorate the glue/construction/material of the foam which leads to premature wear.

Warm soapy water, dedicated foam filter cleaners and even kerosene has been recommended as good cleaning solutions from what I've seen.

There is acceptance that foam filters have limited use cycles after which point they need to be replaced. Like Light Cycle stated, the recommended course was to keep a few filters ready to go - this way once can utilize the same cleaning solution and oiling method (be it zip lock bags and such) in order to have a few ready to go at any given point in time.

No Toil was up there in terms of recommendations..

Last edited:
K&N filters are more porous - they let more junk through.
Foam filters - wash in dish soap & water, air dry and re-oil with hypoid gear oil.
That’s all I have ever used with foam filters 80w90 hypoid. Kerosene dip followed by a soak in alcohol based dish soap (Dawn).

I prefer regular paper filters to foam on a street bikes.

Reactions: TK4

Back
Top Bottom