Oil level low . . . Burning oil ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil level low . . . Burning oil ?

Cha0s00100

Hey guys,

Running a 05 sv650s and I had the oil changed a month and a half ago with a 10w40 SF/SG semi synthetic blend. The bike had 10k km on it when I got it however it was in storage for 2-3 years and not in use. The bike runs great however I have noticed that the oil level has doped down just below the low line after the bike was at rest for 5-10 min after riding =/. I am pretty sure the bike is not leaking any oil since I always park it in the same locations and never see a drop so I assume it may be burning oil. The bike only has 4000km since the oil change and need some insight and a few questions answered.

1. What could be causing the bike the burn oil?
2. Should I top off the oil and run it for another 2000km ? If so is it okay to mix the same oil but different brands ? Or should I just do another oil change?

Thanks in advance as always.

Just top it off. It's preferable to use the same type of oil, but it's not a disaster if you have to use something else.

As for potential causes ... Crankcase venting issues, use of oil with a high volatility, piston rings not seated yet (engine not yet broken in), worn/stuck piston rings, leaking valve stem seals. If the problem involves a crankcase venting issue, just make sure the hose is not kinked or blocked - that's all you can do. To rule out the oil itself, use a different type/brand next time. If the problem is that the piston rings are not fully seated - which is most likely - just ride the bike, and the problem will straighten itself out over time. If the problem is worn piston rings or valve stem seals - which is highly unlikely at that age and mileage - the only fix is a top-end overhaul.

Oil is cheaper than a rebuild. Just top it off and keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom