Nova Scotia trip a go!!!!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nova Scotia trip a go!!!!!!

Morrissey

So the Wife and I have been planning a trip to Nova Scotia all winter, but we were planning to take the truck. Due to some of our Family's health etc, we won't be spending as much time visiting as we originally though. Today, the Wife says to me she'd really like to take the bikes instead of the truck! Woo hoo! So now our plans have totally changed, as has the route we will take. Originally we planned to super-slab it all the way there and stay in Canada. Now we are going to be making a detour at the start of the trip to Sterling NY to go to the Renaissance Fair that my Wife loves so much. So, any suggestions on a scenic twisty route through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine en-route to New Brunswick?

We will be leaving on July 22 around 5pm and riding down to Sterling, NY. Then we will leave Sterling on the Sunday and hope to arrive in our final destination of Windsor, Nova Scotia either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. We don't want to push the pace too much, probably keep it to 500-600km a day. We want to make sure we get to enjoy the scenery along the way. Google maps is showing us that it is just over 1000 miles and approximately 18hrs if we take the highways. We are hoping to avoid the highways and stay scenic but we don't want to be taking dirt roads either.

We will be consulting with CAA, and Road Runner Touring Magazine as well.

Once we are in Windsor we have to visit for about 3 days, then its off to Sydney River (Cape Breton) to visit for a couple of days. While in Cape Breton we will ride the Cabot Trail, possibly splitting the trail up over 2 days to really enjoy the scenery. Then from there we will be sticking to the highways mostly and staying in Canada to get home. We will be stopping at Hopewell Rocks to see the tide on the way home.

We've got 14 or 15 days to do the trip and I don't think we've over estimated the time line, so I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

Cheers.

When your done in Sterling, head to Old Forge, NY, its just at the entrance of the Adriondacks. I would suggest spending the night, and then leave first thing in the morning and travel through the Adirondack heading east. Incredible riding, scenery, twisting roads, and smoooooth pavement. There is a ferry crossing at Essex that goes across Lake Champlain and brings you to Vermont. Nice little restaurant on the water in Essex, right beside the ferry dock if you have to wait or just want lunch. I cant remember when we left Old Forge, probably 7 am, and that had us at the ferry before noon sometime. Watch for deer and such, they are everywhere and will just hang out on the road even in the small little villages on the way.

If you are on Cape Breton Island you have to stop here for a tour and a meal and even stay the night..

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/

Since you are in Windsor, take a trip to Wolfville

http://www.paddyspub.ca/

I would take the ferry from St. John's to Digby as well, that way you get to go through "The Valley" and stop at

http://www.cameronseafoods.ca/

Have fun, I have spent a lot of time in Cape Breton and Wolfville and would go back in minute

enjoy the trip

Trip update:

Picked up a map holder for the tank, new summer riding gloves, oxford visor holder, frog toggs and travel insurance for me and the Mrs. today. Also picked up a "Chill Pad" from Frogg Togg today. Its basically a dimpled chamise that you wet and put inside your jacket that keeps you cool while riding in hot weather. It won't drip and your shirt actually stays pretty dry with it. It cools you by evaporation. I'm pretty stoked to have found this as even though my leather jacket has good ventilation, if the humidity kicks up I still die when riding! Especially when I get stuck in traffic rolling through a small town.

Tomorrow we will sit down and finalize our route and make our reservations.

Back
Top Bottom