Bajaj-Triumph-Roadster-Spied-Again-1-696x348.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Bajaj-Triumph-Roadster-Spied-Again-2-696x348.jpg
    Bajaj-Triumph-Roadster-Spied-Again-2-696x348.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 30
  • bajaj-triumph-350-cc-motorcycle-3-1068x601.jpg
    bajaj-triumph-350-cc-motorcycle-3-1068x601.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 30
First impression? Untouchable for me, no classic beauty, to much Bajaj.

India is the new China.
I owned a KTM 390 Duke that was designed and built in India.
Sold it because it was a piece of S***T.
Test drove a BMW 310 and was not impressed.
I loved my Suzuki GW250 that was designed and built in China.

Bajaj is the company that put much of India on two wheels on smaller capacity scooters and motorcycles and I guess this is their foray into the 350 cc segment that is largely captured by RE.

There are better choices avaiable in that market, for example:

and

Couple of years back on a tour in India, I had rented this:
Not the best of rides, it gets you from A to B.

I hear that the larger Triumph bikes (the one's available here) are made in Thailand. I am nitpicking, but check the difference in the quality of the handle bar levers compared to the Italy or Germany brand bikes (BMW's 310 excepted).

Last edited:
First impression? Untouchable for me, no classic beauty, to much Bajaj.
I agree. Ok as a cheap commuter but they will undoubtedly want a premium for brand association and there doesn't seem to be anything there to justify that premium.

1971 Triumph 350 Bandit

1971 Triuph Bandit 350.png

It was to be the saviour of Triumph & BSA but never went into production.
Even 50 years ago there was not a big enough demand for a small displacement bike in Europe and North America.
We don't buy what we need we buy what we want!
Thank God for low rate financing, nothing down and weekly payments for 7 years I can now aford that Boss Hoss.
Back in the old days of my youth you needed to be 21 years of age, have 25% down, have a good job in manufacturing
and your father to co-sign a 3 year loan to buy that Honda CB350.

China, SE Asia, Africa & India still have a market for small displacement motorcycles but even that is changing.
In India you can buy a Tetra car for not much more than a motorcycle.
Of course you have to live without ABS, GPS, cruise control, seat belts and other expensive non essential luxuries.

I played sales person part time at a Hyosung dealership in 2009.
We loved the 250 even though there was very little profit.
As a "new rider" bike we made big bucks selling jackets, helmets, gloves, boots, saddle bags and winshields at 100% profit
The kickback from financing at 25% or more was the big money maker.
Now dealers sell very little clothing because of on-line sales.
Manufactuer financing has brought the rates down.

The only reason I see for Triumph (and other manufacturers) to cover the cost of certifying a small displacement motorcycle
for sale into Canada is to establish brand loyalty.

The only reason I see for Triumph (and other manufacturers) to cover the cost of certifying a small displacement motorcycle
They've got to be careful with that path. The hyo 250 was a cool bike but all of them blow their engines did nothing good for brand loyalty.

1971 Triumph 350 Bandit

View attachment 60058

Even 50 years ago there was not a big enough demand for a small displacement bike in Europe and North America.
Thank God for low rate financing, nothing down and weekly payments for 7 years I can now aford that Boss Hoss.
Back in the old days of my youth you needed to be 21 years of age, have 25% down, have a good job in manufacturing

China, SE Asia, Africa & India still have a market for small displacement motorcycles but even that is changing.
Of course you have to live without ABS, GPS, cruise control, seat belts and other expensive non essential luxuries.

As a "new rider" bike we made big bucks selling jackets, helmets, gloves, boots, saddle bags and winshields at 100% profit

Triumph/BSA was vital signs absent by the time the 350 came around - too little, too late.
The Hyosung250s were just plain shite - as heavy as their 650s and prone to self-destruction at the slightest opportunity.
Most of these small displacement machines will never see these shores, witness the Honda H'ness.

1971 Triumph 350 Bandit

View attachment 60058

I think there's a segment of existing riders who are looking at or at least open to the idea of downsizing as they/we get older. It could be as important as the new rider market, at least potentially.

Personally, while I'm happy with my 1090 KTM I am certain my next road-worthy bike will be physically smaller, lighter and lower CC's.
Off road I went from a 530cc down to a 250cc (both 4 stroke) and am much happier, maybe a bit faster and MUCH less tired in the woods.

And then there's cost. I want to keep riding as long as I physically can so it makes sense to go smaller and lighter, but that also applies to how expensive a new bike is going to be. Sure, the down-market smaller bikes lack most of the sophisticated electronic rider aids but their absence won't diminish my enjoyment anyways.

The question for the manufacturers is how big that segment will be. I'm hopeful that the new Kawasaki 400 is an indication that they see it as a viable market segment for the future.

Once upon a time, Honda produced the CB350 - 375 pounds and 36hp.
I doubt we'll ever see those days again, but we can hope ?

Today, in India, they sell a CB350
This is the new Triumph's 350 competition.
The Honda might be coming to Canada... I doubt the Triumph will.
... and the '71 Triumph/BSA 350 didn't stand a fart's chance in a wind storm against the CB350, then the CB350/4 or the R5/RD Yamaha or the S3 Kawi

Today, in India, they sell a CB350
This is the new Triumph's 350 competition.
The Honda might be coming to Canada... I doubt the Triumph will.
... and the '71 Triumph/BSA 350 didn't stand a fart's chance in a wind storm against the CB350, then the CB350/4 or the R5/RD Yamaha or the S3 Kawi
Gold. Fire ring type led winkers should be on more bikes.

"

FULL LED HEADLAMP AND TAILLAMP WITH FIRE RING TYPE LED WINKERS
1_segment.png
"

I think there is a sweet spot for small displacement machines that are fun and insurance friendly.

Seeing and hearing Zach on the Kawi 400 that is only the twin cyl powertrain makes me reconsider what to keep in the garage. I come to my senses pretty quickly.

Now if Triumph came out with a Street Triple that is under 500 cc, that could be an interesting…….

I know lots of people who said their bikes where to large for their age but rather than going smaller they added a wheel so It did not fall over.

I think there is a sweet spot for small displacement machines that are fun and insurance friendly.

Seeing and hearing Zach on the Kawi 400 that is only the twin cyl powertrain makes me reconsider what to keep in the garage. I come to my senses pretty quickly.

Now if Triumph came out with a Street Triple that is under 500 cc, that could be an interesting…….
The words insurance friendly and Ontario don't belong in the same sentence. I don't know if that goes for the other provinces as well. The smaller displacement bikes may do better in countries where insurance isn't a con game.

I considered getting a Honda Ruckus as a sidekick for the Goldwing and found out that the insurance was almost the same even though the displacement was 1/30th.

As far as size goes I wouldn't mind something half the displacement of the half ton Goldwing. In my youth 650cc was a big bike, not starter. A lot of sidecars are dragged by under 600 cc power plants.

Consumerism is dependent on more not less.

Back
Top Bottom