New rider seeking advice on 1983 Honda Shadow as first bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider seeking advice on 1983 Honda Shadow as first bike

kdamerje

I am thinking of buying a used 83 Honda Shadow 500, 47k on it for 1700CAD. I am not mechanically inclined so I was hoping to get advice. The bike has been ridden up until July. I saw the bike, seems ok, sounds good and I rode it, it rode well.

The seller mentioned:

Amazing condition 1983 Honda Shadow 500 (VT500C). I'm the third owner, have had the bike since around March 2018. Looking to sell because I am planning on getting a bigger bike soon.

Has a new seat and a new high quality AGM battery. Oil has been changed regularly with MOTUL synthetic. Final drive oil was changed. Fork seals are new. Spark plugs and ignition coils changed recently (bad coils are a common issue on these old bikes that cause intermittent starting issues especially when hot). Pair of coils are about $300 on their own and most of these older bikes need them. Aftermarket RPM gauge (original cable gauges can whine very loud when its colder out so I replaced the stock one with a electronic one) and also has an aftermarket USB plug for charging your phone. Mirrors are also aftermarket. All gauges and warning lights work. Light bulb that illuminates the thermostat is out.

Has a few small dings/dents/scratches. Two turn signals had the rubber mounts break are held together by a clamp/tape (they still function perfectly).

I am looking to buy this to ride for the rest of the season to learn on then hopefully sell it next spring and buy something more permanent.

Would this be a good purchase? Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_205722.jpg
    IMG_20200819_205722.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200819_205736.jpg
    IMG_20200819_205736.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200819_205746.jpg
    IMG_20200819_205746.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200819_205802.jpg
    IMG_20200819_205802.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200819_205811.jpg
    IMG_20200819_205811.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
As I've suggested before - if the bike is older than you are it will be a continuing project and NOT a good pick for a first time rider.
Parts are becoming increasing difficult to find for older machines, expect things to fail and expect to have to wait/search for replacements.
Find something newer and save yourself a bucket of grief.

As I've suggested before - if the bike is older than you are it will be a continuing project and NOT a good pick for a first time rider.
Parts are becoming increasing difficult to find for older machines, expect things to fail and expect to have to wait/search for replacements.

the purpose of the bike will be to ride until the end of season to practice on then sell in spring.

FWIW: They used that same motor in a version of the Honda Ascot.
& the bike originally sold for less money then that new with a full warranty, so I don't think he would be insulted if you offer a little bit less.
None of the stuff he put on it to keep it running is of consequence to your purchase price, unless you deem them as valuable upgrades.
I don't see any upgrades :|

FWIW: They used that same motor in a version of the Honda Ascot.
& the bike originally sold for less money then that new with a full warranty, so I don't think he would be insulted if you offer a little bit less.
None of the stuff he put on it to keep it running is of consequence to your purchase price, unless you deem them as valuable upgrades.
I don't see any upgrades :|

He initially listed it as 2500 and i brought it down to 1700. I asked to go lower a few times but he is set on the 1700.

Aw hell no. Way to many flags showing you that this is a bad idea. If you're not mechanically inclined, don't buy an old bike. Insurance is expensive, you don't want it sitting around broken for half the season while you figure it out (or paying more than the bike is worth to get someone else to fix it). I don't see a mention of the tire age. The current owner has been poking around in the wiring, this is always a huge red flag as most people are idiots and make a mess.

What is your budget? My standard recommendation is a modern 250/300 which is cheap and easy to own and run and basically has zero depreciation if you buy used. You can ride that and continue to learn for years.

Leave that seller sitting at 1700, I wouldn't be surprised if he never got that price. You didn't bargain him down 800, his original price was crazy.

Aw hell no. Way to many flags showing you that this is a bad idea. If you're not mechanically inclined, don't buy an old bike. Insurance is expensive, you don't want it sitting around broken for half the season while you figure it out (or paying more than the bike is worth to get someone else to fix it). I don't see a mention of the tire age. The current owner has been poking around in the wiring, this is always a huge red flag as most people are idiots and make a mess.

What is your budget? My standard recommendation is a modern 250/300 which is cheap and easy to own and run and basically has zero depreciation if you buy used. You can ride that and continue to learn for years.

Leave that seller sitting at 1700, I wouldn't be surprised if he never got that price. You didn't bargain him down 800, his original price was crazy.

tires are 2012, i checked them and the DOT. Insurance is decent at 80 CAD a month.

Ok thanks man, i will keep looking for a 250/300. Im not sure about this 1983 bike.

tires are 2012, i checked them and the DOT. Insurance is decent at 80 CAD a month.

Ok thanks man, i will keep looking for a 250/300. Im not sure about this 1983 bike.

Insurance will not be your problem when you break down in the middle of the road with your buddies and ruin it for every one...

Glad you are going for 250/300s. They are great... you can ride the crap out of them, bullet proof engines! some of them have slipper clutches, ABS, etc... plus they look nicer ! :p

Insurance will not be your problem when you break down in the middle of the road with your buddies and ruin it for every one...

250/300s are great... you can ride the crap out of them, bullet proof engines! some of them have slipper clutches, ABS, ets... plus they look nicer ! :p

Thanks. Ill keep searching. I just don't want the season to end before I get a chance to ride.

:unsure: Spring, Summer, Fall (y) we have 3 riding seasons here.
4 if you are very brave.

I like Fall riding best, although that is a terrible name for it :cautious: Fall
They should call it Autumn but nobody would know how to spell it.

A lot of shops won't service anything that old. They take up shop space and time as they try to find parts. The owners choke when a repair bill exceeds the value of the bike.

To add some perspective...

-In 1983 gasoline in the GTA sold for 45 cents/L
-In 1983 the biggest song in Canada was "Every Breath You Take" by The Police followed by "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" by Culture Club and then "Let's Dance" by David Bowie.
In 1983 The "Swatch" is introduced.
In 1983........ Legwarmers. 'Nuff said.
In 1983 the final episode of M*A*S*H aired..
In 1983 "The 20 minute Workout" debuted..

1983 was a long time ago. 37 years.

On the up side I suppose... an '83 motorcycle would fall under antique or "historic" status and thus qualify for cheaper insurance..?

So yeah... Unless you're an enthusiast with an interest in wrenching... pass.

-In 1983 the biggest song in Canada was "Every Breath You Take" by The Police followed by "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" by Culture Club and then "Let's Dance" by David Bowie.

On the up side I suppose... an '83 motorcycle would fall under antique or "historic" status and thus qualify for cheaper insurance..?

Good point. I didn't go for it based on everyone's advice here. Thank you

Hey, I had a Swatch. It sounded like a dripping tap.

Back
Top Bottom