New rider looking to finesse cruising in 1st gear and 2nd | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider looking to finesse cruising in 1st gear and 2nd

As others have mentioned if you are just cruising in first or second gear

Use your clutch as well... Don't leave it fully open

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hello everyone! Looking for a bit of advice here on cruising at slow speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. Let me give a bit of an intro here before I begin. I am a new rider of approximately 2 months now on a Ninja 300. I have taken the M2 course with RTI, where I learned many of the basics of riding and I am loving riding, but what irritates me now is my bike likes like to jerk and bog forward especially in 1st and 2nd gear. Is this an issue with closing the throttle too abruptly or not clutching down enough during these slow speeds? I have been referred to read "Twist of the wrist" before, which I looked over briefly, but I feel like that teaches more about handling than throttle and clutch control. Any words of advice?

Hey man, I'm about one month in and 1st and 2nd gear still give me trouble too. The most challenging part of my daily commute is getting into and out of the parking garage because it requires so much clutch finesse.

I ride a CB300 and I've found it's best to avoid first gear unless starting from a stopped position. I try to stay in 2nd and work the clutch for all low-speed rolling in city traffic, now matter how slow.

Also, when I'm in 2nd moving slowly and traffic starts moving faster in front of me, rather than just roll on the throttle to accelerate, which causes my bike to lurch, I always try to squeeze the clutch all the way (even when already moving slowly), blip the throttle, then gently re-engage the clutch and add throttle to accelerate. This technique forces me to use the clutch more, it smoothes out my acceleration, and I get to hear my little thumper bark when I blip it. Love that sound.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom