New Distracted Driving Laws Jan 1 2019? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Distracted Driving Laws Jan 1 2019?

A friend received a distracted driving ticket in Toronto . She was stopped at a light and looked at her phone on the seat beside her . She said she did pick it up not realizing it`s still breaking the law . She didn`t notice the police car beside her? . She was pulled over on the other side of the intersection . The cop had a body cam on him and told her he was recording the stop . She has a trial date in January . Is there any way to fight this ? Is there a way to plea and get the fine reduced ?

Big lesson learned .

A one armed deaf person blind in one eye can get a driver's license but a person with no disabilities can't use one of their body parts to touch an object. Distracted driving is a mental awareness situation not a physical one.

A one armed deaf person blind in one eye can get a driver's license but a person with no disabilities can't use one of their body parts to touch an object. Distracted driving is a mental awareness situation not a physical one.

I would 100% agree that it is mental, but it's hard to enforce "X% of attention or less was paid to the road".
I see some people on their hands-free phone, arguing and talking with their hands, wandering out of their lane.
On the flip side, I fall silent on the phone, tuning out of the conversation because something on the road had me on alert. e.g. "Sorry I missed the last 30 seconds because someone changed lanes into someone else and that someone squeezed into my lane.
It is low priority and is shelved if the road needs more attention.

I used to text a lot when it was legal, I'd hold the phone up just above the wheel. I paid it as much attention as I would to my speedometer when a cop was in line of sight. Felt safe to me. I tried texting with the phone in my lap and prefer not to do that. It was safer back then for me.

I wonder how a cop manages to fiddle with the laptop mounted on the console while driving. Is there special training? Can I get some of that action?

I would 100% agree that it is mental, but it's hard to enforce "X% of attention or less was paid to the road".
I see some people on their hands-free phone, arguing and talking with their hands, wandering out of their lane.
On the flip side, I fall silent on the phone, tuning out of the conversation because something on the road had me on alert. e.g. "Sorry I missed the last 30 seconds because someone changed lanes into someone else and that someone squeezed into my lane.
It is low priority and is shelved if the road needs more attention.

I used to text a lot when it was legal, I'd hold the phone up just above the wheel. I paid it as much attention as I would to my speedometer when a cop was in line of sight. Felt safe to me. I tried texting with the phone in my lap and prefer not to do that. It was safer back then for me.

I wonder how a cop manages to fiddle with the laptop mounted on the console while driving. Is there special training? Can I get some of that action?

You nailed it.

Back
Top Bottom