New Bike- honda spirit 750 vs honda vtx 1300 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Bike- honda spirit 750 vs honda vtx 1300

hey guys new guy here from orangeville, ont. i've been looking into getting a bike i was first set on getting a 2002 honda spirit 750 but then i seen a honda vtx 1300..... so i have seen the vtx in person at the dealer and it looks bad ***! but costs more.. i haven't seen the spirit yet though as they didn't have any...

so my question is.. is their a difference (size wise) between the 2 bikes? would the spirit look tiny compared to the vtx? i'm about 5'10 195lbs so i don't want a small bike and for me to look like a goof on it i want something that suits me and looks right.

Both bikes look alright. If you're getting a new one at the dealership, it's fuel injected, and not carb'd like the 02. Both bike will look the same, but will feel differently, also weight wise too.

i plan on buying used one. i was just wondering overall size wise of the two bikes. what year did they switch to fuel injection? the bike i get / can afford would probrably be between 2001 - 2005.

I believe Honda switched over to fuel injection about 2010. 2009 cruisers didn't have fuel injection yet.

Don't make your final decision without riding both. 1300 will be much heavier and will feel heavier. For the first bike, I'd go with the smaller one. My friend test drove 1300 and 750 at the demo. He was supposed to go on the 750, but went on 1300 by mistake. He loved 750 after riding 1300, lol.

You're almost 200 lbs. I'm 120, and on the 750, it kicks. As Viper said, it's up to the rider how he feel comfortable, and how you use the power in your hands.

If you don't let us know where you plan on doing most of your riding and what kind of riding you're planning on doing how can we give you good advice?

A motorcycle is like a suit. What fits me might not fit you, and just because you find one better than the other doesn't mean it's the right one for you.

Hi chevy man87,

The 750 is an awesome bike, it handles great. You'll get more out of the 1300.

How much riding experience do you have? Are you planning on riding with a passenger? The 750 will labour compared to the 1300 when 2 upping. The top speed for the 750 is about 140 kmph. Having owned the 750 I traded up to a Kawi Vulcan 1500 at the end of the first season of owining the 750.

IMHO - buy bigger. (unless you have no riding experience).

If money isn't a factor (initial cost plus insurance) I would say go with the 1300.
The 750 is an entry level cruiser and Honda went cheap on a lot of parts. The bike is still amazing (I put 70,000km on mine) but I made a few modifications to make it ride better for me.

The 1300 is EFI and it should be shaft drive. It has better brakes and better suspension. It pulls strong past 140km if you ever need it.

It isn't that much heavier than the 750 either. The power delivery on the 1300 isn't scary either. There is a of power when you need it. I cannot say the same for the 750.

The 750 is good. The 1300 is much better.

Hey guys,

Is the top speed on the 750 really 140 or is that the cruising speed?!
My 250 does 155 km/h max. but cruises comfortably at 120-130.

Considering downgrading from a Sportster 883 to a Shadow so please advise :)

The 750's top speed is no more than 140 - 150km/h
I found it's ideal cruising speed of 90 - 100km/h
It cruised at 115 most of the time but the revs were a little high.
The big twin cruisers generate torque, not top speed.
I am guessing an 883 will behave like a 750 (except rattle less)

im a new rider with a very little experiance.. i don't plan on doing any 2 up riding mabye a little if any. i am on a budjet so i can't spend a fortune on one. i plan on using the bike cruising in town, cruise night, little bit on highway, and to work sometimes which is a 15 minute drive. i just want a nice bike that i won't look stupid riding on as i'm a bigger guy... i seen people riding bikes and they just look goofy because the bike looks way to small for them.... kinda leanin towards the spirit 750, plans are to get one with straight bars, cobra pipes, and remove the ugly saddle bags to give it that "chopper" look. lol

Chevy man87: The 750 is a well balanced and easy bike to handle. Rides fantastic alone! I like the look you are trying to achieve. If you are lucky, you'll find a used one with the mods already done. Good luck, and great riding!

Here is a link for info, photos etc on any bike...
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memberlist.cfm?Members=0&Model_ID=3&location=0

Adri: The max speed on my stock 750 Shadow was 140 - full out with no more throttle left. Keep the sporty, and wait to upgrade. (IMHO).

Last edited:
im a new rider with a very little experiance.. i don't plan on doing any 2 up riding mabye a little if any. i am on a budjet so i can't spend a fortune on one. i plan on using the bike cruising in town, cruise night, little bit on highway, and to work sometimes which is a 15 minute drive. i just want a nice bike that i won't look stupid riding on as i'm a bigger guy... i seen people riding bikes and they just look goofy because the bike looks way to small for them.... kinda leanin towards the spirit 750, plans are to get one with straight bars, cobra pipes, and remove the ugly saddle bags to give it that "chopper" look. lol

The 750 will serve you well for this description. Plenty of grin factor and good looks. I'm 5'9" riding a Sporster and it fits me well. (similar proportion bike) My neighbour is much taller than I am and he love's his Spirit 750 and looks just fine on it. I'd say, he's north of 6' although slim in stature. His bike has red with orange flame job, I think an 05. The only quibble I have is the chain drive and rear drum brake. Both function just fine and my neighbour doesn't have a problem with it. IMO it sound goods too. Although the consensus around the neighbourhood my bike sounds the best. And in a good way.

Chevy man87: The 750 is a well balanced and easy bike to handle. Rides fantastic alone! I like the look you are trying to achieve. If you are lucky, you'll find a used one with the mods already done. Good luck, and great riding!

Here is a link for info, photos etc on any bike...
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memberlist.cfm?Members=0&Model_ID=3&location=0

Adri: The max speed on my stock 750 Shadow was 140 - full out with no more throttle left. Keep the sporty, and wait to upgrade. (IMHO).

Sounds like my 250 KYMCO is faster. Indicated 155 km/hr. GPS says 147 km/hr. Yikes. Thanks for confirming what others have already warned me. Appreciate it everyone.

Hey guys,

Wha-wha-wha...?

Hey guys,

Adri, what's the deal with the 883? Not much fun on the highway?

I know it's a bit of a trek from Orangeville to Whitby, but if your up to the trip GPBikes has several vtx1300's available, and a 750 spirit, as well as some other models of 750 shadows, these are all previously owned. Not trying to plug GPbikes it's just that I think you really should see the bikes you're considering side by side and sit on them, especially if your concern is in size and appearance and that's a good place to do it at. Good luck in your search.

Adri, what's the deal with the 883? Not much fun on the highway?

Too air cooled for downtown TO and doesn't tie in with my budget. Would've been nice if I was going back to Quebec this year but some stuff has come up and I'm not leaving home base any time in the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom