Muffler packing material | GTAMotorcycle.com

Muffler packing material

TK4

Vance & Hines, and FMF have baffle repacking material that looks like a densely woven white fiberglass.
Has anyone tried either of these products or having any other suggestions other than normal pink house insulation ?
I want to take the bark off the MAC 2 into 1 on the XV920R.

Fibreglass mat, non-woven.
01-06500.jpg

I bought new packing material as a replacement part once.
The 2 pieces of pre-formed material was 175$ per piece, so it came to 350$ just for the exhaust packing materials. :I Won't be doing that again.

Last edited:
FMF works well. It's not so much the brand as it is how it's done. Too loose, and it has no sound absorption. Too tight, and the exhaust just blows right thru. Use making tape too hold it together.
Pink is a waste of time.

Reactions: TK4
What about ceramic packing? Like the stuff they use in stoves. I've seen it listed on amazon as motorcycle packing curious if any one has experience with it.

Vance & Hines, and FMF have baffle repacking material that looks like a densely woven white fiberglass.
Has anyone tried either of these products or having any other suggestions other than normal pink house insulation ?
I want to take the bark off the MAC 2 into 1 on the XV920R.
I used Roxul mineral wool to pack my mufflers. You also have to check the db killer's plug hasn't been removed or gutted. If it's wide open repacking won't do anything, the muffler will work like an open glasspack and sound like Cherry Bomb.

Pull the db-killer from the can and check to see the tube is closed where marked on the pic below. If it is open (and I'll bet you a roll of toilet paper roll it is) you have to fix that first. Either cap it or make replacement plug ( I think I used a 1" copper pipe endcap to repair a MAC db killer). I like the replacement plug as you can move it along the length of the DB killer to tune the exhaust note to bark like a dog or purr like a cat.

dbkiller.jpg

I used Roxul mineral wool to pack my mufflers. You also have to check the db killer's plug hasn't been removed or gutted. If it's wide open repacking won't do anything, the muffler will work like an open glasspack and sound like Cherry Bomb.

Pull the db-killer from the can and check to see the tube is closed where marked on the pic below. If it is open (and I'll bet you a roll of toilet paper roll it is) you have to fix that first. Either cap it or make replacement plug ( I think I used a 1" copper pipe endcap to repair a MAC db killer). I like the replacement plug as you can move it along the length of the DB killer to tune the exhaust note to bark like a dog or purr like a cat.

View attachment 42357
thanks Mike !!!

Back
Top Bottom