Motorcycle Touring Workout Tips (From A Guy In A Mankini) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Touring Workout Tips (From A Guy In A Mankini)

Disturbing image!
Anyone here get cramps in their hips while riding?

As advertised! You knew what you were clicking on lol

Yup, but only my right hip, and only on my Z900RS, so, it has to go. The other bikes are fine. Less of a bend.
I get it in both sides. All I can do is hold that leg out straight and just ride it out. Not fun. I think it's the width of the bike thats the issue. Not totally sure.

As advertised! You knew what you were clicking on lol

Yup, but only my right hip, and only on my Z900RS, so, it has to go. The other bikes are fine. Less of a bend.
There are hip flexor exercises you can do that will help.

I kinda look at motorcycle touring to be on par with bowling, darts or baseball in terms of athletic endeavours.

End to end and back thru Italy is 3500km, that’s less than 2 hours a day over 25 days.

I know lots of 55+ year old riders that go cross country, doing that amount of riding in a week with no special training.

I figure if Babe Ruth could do a pro career on beer, steak and … , the average rider can your on a bike the way they are.

Last edited:
End to end and back thru Italy is 3500km, that’s less than 2 hours a day over 25 days.

Yup, plus at least 15,000-25,000 steps per day depending on the towns you visit as you travel the country. Sometimes you're only on foot a couple hours, sometimes you're on foot the whole day. Strongly recommend it. Between the missus and I, we ate like kings and still came back a combined 16 lbs lighter.

Had to change the mankini thumbnail. It got me 26 unsubscribers yesterday lmao

Yup, plus at least 15,000-25,000 steps per day depending on the towns you visit as you travel the country. Sometimes you're only on foot a couple hours, sometimes you're on foot the whole day. Strongly recommend it. Between the missus and I, we ate like kings and still came back a combined 16 lbs lighter.
That's pretty much our experience as well. We've been 3 times since 2015.

Yup! Touring on your motorcycle through Europe and touring on a motorcycle through Canada/US are very very different animals.

****, a couple hours when the road is basically straight, vs a couple hours of coastal mountain riding alone are two very different animals.

@AllistonGT - not sure if you noticed it, but one silver lining I found about riding over there was that there are no crazy blow-your-bike-around wind gusts in Italy like we get over here. I was like, "Is this just in my head?!" so I googled it:

Apparently because Italy has a mountain range going all the way down the center of the country, this makes for very localized 'micro-climates' (part of why every few hours the scenery changes, whereas in Ontario you can ride for 3 hours and it still looks like Ontario). The mountains breaking up the wind's paths, and the micro-climates, mean that the weather is more localized there, and winds don't go uninterrupted over long spans, building up speeds, into the kind of gusts we get over here.

They still get em sometimes, but I only really had to deal with wind gusts on one particular day... I'm sure if I was riding for 25 days here it would have been a lot more common.

Yup! Touring on your motorcycle through Europe and touring on a motorcycle through Canada/US are very very different animals.

****, a couple hours when the road is basically straight, vs a couple hours of coastal mountain riding alone are two very different animals.

@AllistonGT - not sure if you noticed it, but one silver lining I found about riding over there was that there are no crazy blow-your-bike-around wind gusts in Italy like we get over here. I was like, "Is this just in my head?!" so I googled it:

Apparently because Italy has a mountain range going all the way down the center of the country, this makes for very localized 'micro-climates' (part of why every few hours the scenery changes, whereas in Ontario you can ride for 3 hours and it still looks like Ontario). The mountains breaking up the wind's paths, and the micro-climates, mean that the weather is more localized there, and winds don't go uninterrupted over long spans, building up speeds, into the kind of gusts we get over here.

They still get em sometimes, but I only really had to deal with wind gusts on one particular day... I'm sure if I was riding for 25 days here it would have been a lot more common.
I've only rented a car there. Bucket list trip would be on two wheels. Love driving the Italian country roads. Hate driving in Italian cities. No really, it's not fun. In the centre of Rome I lost it. Lol.

I definitely do get them... More frequently when 2-up, and right hip most often (I'm one of the weirdos that always keep left foot on the peg at stop lights...). I guess leg position, and bearing weight at that odd angle triggers it...

I find standing on pegs for few seconds helps when it happens, but it still sucks no matter what...

At times, it's so bad I got to find a place to park and walk it off...

One more annoyance to add to the list, that also forces me to pull over: Eyes watering out of the blue... 😭

It's sun fitting my eyes at a weird angle, wind or combination of both... There are times when it is a major hazard and I ride basically blind for couple of second... Nothing worked to get that sorted... I know it is caused by dry eyes, but drops only last short time, and when touring, this can happen at any time... Helmets with internal sun visors are huge help here, but don't eliminate the issue completely...
This one is not age related, I used to get them even worse decades ago... I think it was poor lighting at my workplace back then, but who knows...

I definitely do get them... More frequently when 2-up, and right hip most often (I'm one of the weirdos that always keep left foot on the peg at stop lights...). I guess leg position, and bearing weight at that odd angle triggers it...

I find standing on pegs for few seconds helps when it happens, but it still sucks no matter what...

At times, it's so bad I got to find a place to park and walk it off...
Usually happens when I'm returning my feet to the pegs after a stop. I've had it happen to both sides at the same time. I've also had to stop when possible and get off the bike. Most times if I tell myself to just relax it subsides after a few minutes. It's not pleasant.

I've only rented a car there. Bucket list trip would be on two wheels. Love driving the Italian country roads. Hate driving in Italian cities. No really, it's not fun. In the centre of Rome I lost it. Lol.
I've only ever ridden in Rome, never driven. Did it for two days when we first arrived. Then two weeks later on the way back down passed through again to drop the missus off at the airport.

I left my bike in the south and took the train back to Rome... but I arrived a day or two before my flight to play it safe... so when I got to Rome and I was bored I rented a Vespa so that even though my own bike was hours away, I could keep on riding.

Try it next time, you'll love it. The place I went to was called "My Scooter Rent in Rome". I took one of those Lime electric scooters from my hotel to the place. Probably killed a few brain cells zooming across the cobblestone on those no suspension things, but it was fun lol

Vespa in Rome.jpg

The women on scooters in Rome ride with more balls than most downtown Toronto dwellers do on motorcycles, just saying.

Disturbing image!
I've gotten them from swinging my leg over on higher bikes this year.

Back
Top Bottom