Motorcycle Masters advanced rider training. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Masters advanced rider training.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Just thought I'd share for anyone interested in some advanced street rider training - I did the MCM course this past weekend in Hamilton.

This course is partly based on the training that the OPP riders go through, which was (once it was explained) is actually crazy in depth.

The course touched on a lot of different things over the admittedly short 8 hours of training. First, different methods of picking up a dropped bike were covered which was certainly useful for some as the day went on.

Different braking methods and tactics were discussed and practiced at length including trail braking during slow speed maneuvering.

Proper use of clutch feathering and throttle usage during slow speed maneuvering were explained and demonstrated.

Slow speed maneuvering was covered and practiced in depth using a few different course setups from the standard pylon weave, pylon serpentines, figure 8 setups including tightening the figure by turning inside the outside gate, etc. Threshold braking was worked up to in stages and then practiced with all participants. People at different skill levels were given more coaching as required. In some points where some areas ran slow because someone was getting extra 1-on-1 coaching, others were welcome to go and ride the other exercises as they wished - it was very open and easy flowing.

There was more as well but this was just a generalized review.

Yes, many are pushed to (and some beyond) your limits at this course...which, honestly, I think is GOOD. Participants were offered some basic protective gear for their bikes (shields to put over crash bars) and some opted to take off saddle bags, etc. A few bikes were indeed dropped, but no major damage to anyones bikes as most everyone had crash bars...and the bikes just lay over onto them instead of going full turtle. No injuries, just a few bruised feelings I suspect, but everyone was very supportive and everyone had a great attitude - we were all there to learn.

One of my biggest vices in riding was hard turns to the right - I can do tight circles to the left all day long, but to the right, never as tight or comfortably - I soon learned I wasn't alone, and I came away with much more skills in that regard because of what I learned.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day and I did increase my skills - I found the figure 8 course to be most enjoyable and as you closed it up tighter and tighter it became far more challenging - towards the end I was able to go full lock on my steering around the inner gate, floor boards scraping in both directions. I actually enjoyed things so much that I actually ordered a bunch of pylons today on Amazon so that I can go out and setup a similar course of my own and continue honing those skills. Once they arrive I'll take them out somewhere along with my drone and set it to hover overhead to show the exercises we did.

I didn't drop my bike, although I came close a few times when I was on the bleeding edge of it's capabilities..and my skill - when I started to grind exhaust on the right hand side, and frame on the left hand side, things got squirrelly LOL. Came away in the end with nothing more than a bit scrape on the toe of my right boot and a sore clutch hand. ;)

For the ~$200 cost I'd highly recommend anyone who would like to hone their skills, particularly their low speed skills as well as panic braking, go take it. 8 hours very well spent. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, but going slow takes skill, as does knowing what to do when the **** is hitting the fan.

Myself and the friends I went with are already planning to get together a group of our own and have them come to us next year - something they'll do for a minimum of 10 people. They cater the course to the group at hand, so those like myself who are looking for more advanced or challenging exercises will be able to get such whilst the others can do the more standard exercises.

Who knows, maybe we could do a GTAM class next year.

All in all, a great day. Never stop learning.

Got a few screenshots off my phone today the instructor sent me of my buddy on his FJR. This was during the emergency threshold braking portion of the class.

Take note of the fork compression (to the stops) and the compression on the front tire - the contact patch is literally 4-6 times bigger under maximum braking - look how compressed the front tire is, and how much of it is touching the ground vs a normal motorcycle contact patch. This was just as the bike was coming to a stop - his rear tire was actually off the ground for the last foot or so during this stage.

This was a great portion of the course, learning exactly how far your really can mash that front brake...and the specific tactics to maximize the braking without locking up the front wheel during the stop for those without ABS, and how to actually avoid *using* your ABS for bikes with...since ABS actually lengthens stopping distances - threshold braking without actually going into ABS is far more beneficial in an emergency.

There is is actually a process (pre load, brake harder, and then in the last few feet squeeze for all your worth) to achieve the shortest possible distance. This is the sort of stuff we learned.

IMG_0935.jpg

Found a a better one yet a split second even after the above shot. Look at the front tire - it's about 50% compressed to the rim at this point (and yes, his tires were at normal operating pressure)t just as his feet were reaching for the ground.

IMG_0938.jpg

How did they vet the riders before breaking them into training groups?

Everyone did the same thing, although those who wanted to could go and do the more advanced stuff as they so desired once everyone had been through it at least once.

Those who struggled at least did every routine once with extra coaching as required. Those who excelled in some exercises with given different tactics or options to toughen them up (IE, turning inside the outside pylons on the figure 8 exercise, going faster through the serpentine patterns, increasing your speed each time through the threshold braking exercise, etc) to make it harder for themselves without making it harder for everyone necessarily.

During larger classes with more than the 10 that came out for ours they have 3 or 4 instructors and break out more advanced things for those wanting or needing more challenges. When I do the course again next year, that’ll be me - I loved being challenged.

In general, it wasn’t beginner level stuff however by any stretch, although there were a few beginner or low experience riders there, some of who did really struggle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom