Moto GP chassis technology | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto GP chassis technology

Like riding a giant spring rolling on tires made of glue. ?

This stuff does trickle down to us mere mortals, too. I have a much less expensive comparison sitting in my own shop ... my old and now-retired 1989 Yamaha FZR400 race bike, and the 2015 Yamaha R3 that replaces it. The Fizzer has the classic aluminum perimeter frame. The R3, with the bodywork removed, has a rather spindly-looking steel frame: https://www.revzilla.com/blog_content_image/image/56550/19_YZF-R3_Team_Yamaha_Blue_frame_3_RGB.jpg

The Fizzer dates back to the stiffer-is-better school of thought. The article mentions that Yamaha first started learning about needing some chassis flex around 1993.

Now compare your 2015 R3 frame to:
I see a resemblance

I'm glad that article mentioned the Ducati. That thing almost ruined Rossi. It wasn't his fault. it was the bike. NOBODY could ride the thing, well except for Stoner... but he doesn't count, he didn't care how bad it handled, he just screwed the throttle open: as per contractual agreement.
They even put Hayden on it, he couldn't make it work. DuHamel tried it. Nope.
But that 4 cylinder just twists mild steel frames like a pretzel, so on they muddle.

Denis Curtis of CMR Racing fame tells me the endurance/vintage racers in Australia, where he sell a lot of frames (I was watching the Australia Vintage Championship, they do vintage BIG TIME there, and at least half the bikes had a CMR sticker on them), are switching back to steel (4130) swing arms from aluminum.
The idea is that while the steel deflects a little more, the steel swing arm returns to original shape a LOT faster.

This stuff does trickle down to us mere mortals, too. I have a much less expensive comparison sitting in my own shop ... my old and now-retired 1989 Yamaha FZR400 race bike, and the 2015 Yamaha R3 that replaces it. The Fizzer has the classic aluminum perimeter frame. The R3, with the bodywork removed, has a rather spindly-looking steel frame: https://www.revzilla.com/blog_content_image/image/56550/19_YZF-R3_Team_Yamaha_Blue_frame_3_RGB.jpg

The Fizzer dates back to the stiffer-is-better school of thought. The article mentions that Yamaha first started learning about needing some chassis flex around 1993.
r3 looks sort of like a duplex cradle frame

Back
Top Bottom