Mosport Harley Davidson XR1200 Series | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mosport Harley Davidson XR1200 Series

Wicked, thanks! :thumbup:

PS> Harley Davidson -
number-one.gif

that certainly looks like a fun class. How do they compare to say the am600 bikes in terms of cost of running a race season?

that certainly looks like a fun class. How do they compare to say the am600 bikes in terms of cost of running a race season?

The choices of a bike's year of manufacture in the AM600 class makes it a cheaper class to ride and the wealth of spares available is a plus.
The chance of racing a new or slightly used Harley XR1200 invaluable!!!

I believe H-D had a really good deal going for those who wanted to obtain a bike for the XR1200 class.

What I've seen close up of those bikes going around the track (I've been around them in a practice session) doesn't make me want to ride one. "Scary" is an understatement.

The problem with ALL manufacturer/bike specific classes, particularly those which are manufacturer-sponsored, is that the manufacturer support tends not to last forever. If the class disappears the moment the sponsorship support dries up, what happens next? If the bike in question is eligible for other classes and is reasonably decent otherwise (example, SV650, whose manufacturer support disappeared a couple years ago) then you keep right on racing or sell the bike for decent money to someone who does races or track days with it. If the bike has limited opportunity to be eligible for other classes and/or isn't a good track-day bike, then you have a paperweight. The two manufacturer-sponsored one-bike classes currently, are the CBR125 and the XR1200 classes. I'd put a question mark on the long-term future of both of those - in Honda's case, because the CBR125 is no longer the latest greatest thing (the 2011 model isn't even eligible!), and in H-D's case, because the parent company fundamentally doesn't "get" motorsports or even sporting use of motorcycles at all (witness what they did to Erik Buell). If the CBR Cup vanishes, you have a pretty cheap paperweight. If the XR1200 class vanishes, you have an expensive one. A 600 is only going to become a paperweight if you roll the bike up into a ball ... and if you do that, it makes no difference what class it was in ...

This year the bike was/is $12.5k with the cost of the V&H race upgrade ($4k) covered by the distributor (Deeley?). The machines are AMA legal and everyone had/has opportunity to compete in the Indy MotoGP rnd. As Crevier said on the PA at Mosport, his sponsor (the Kingston Harley dealership) with get on-track coverage at an AMA/MotoGP event.

I see the spec class racing as the new business model, Honda seems to like it (Moto2, Moto3 in the US, talk of spec 250 class). At least you know another team can't out spend you on the bike and you just have to out ride the others. The CBR 125 races at Mosport were some of the best races of the weekend. As a fan I just want to see big fields of close competitive racing. I don't really care if a bike's front-end costs the same as my car or if the team got to the track in a 50' tractor trailer vs. a trailer pulled by a van.

Tip of the hat to the new CSBK, much improved from last year.

Back
Top Bottom