More fortnine goodness | GTAMotorcycle.com

More fortnine goodness

bigpoppa

I thought it was an early version or derivative of a goldwing/st

It's certainly nowhere near the first totally-enclosed motorcycle. I remember reading about the Pacific Coast when it came out and they said Honda wanted to get back those people who once rode 50cc mopeds with something more updated for those folks who now had money. Unfortunately those 'moped Mods' were all Yuppies buying BMWs by then. As for maintenance, that was something Honda's mechanics were supposed to do. I think the Vincent Black Knight was the first totally enclose bike, and it failed too.

A couple of pics from Jamie McGregors Canadian Vintage Bicycle Show 4 years ago in Brantford.Can't remember the brand.
6erOXGv.jpg

raIdjNM.jpg

I thought it was an early version or derivative of a goldwing/st

The Goldwing came out a decade and a half earlier, but the first gen looks nothing like this. There was definitely some cross-pollination happening at the time the PC800 came out, as the 4th gen GL1500s had similar dashes and the huge trunk. And that crash-bar bumper looks like it made its way onto the ST1100, as well as most of all that plastic cladding.

Good history lesson. Thx for the link.

The Pacific Coast started production in 1989, but full-fairing sport bikes had made their appearance not too many years earlier, it was definitely an era of experimentation. Honda CBR600 Hurricane from 1987, Kawasaki Ninja 1000 from 1986, Suzuki GSXR750 from 1985. None completely enclosed the engine to the extent that the Pacific Coast did, but they were radical at the time. I remember the first time I saw a GSXR750 on the road, and thinking that it looked like a spaceship.

A couple of pics from Jamie McGregors Canadian Vintage Bicycle Show 4 years ago in Brantford.Can't remember the brand.
6erOXGv.jpg

raIdjNM.jpg
Bike is a 1964 Velocette Vogue apposed twin.

1607894637346.png

I watched a doc on Ariel's Leader, it was an early full fairing MC. Apparently the Japanese looked at the Leader as an before designing the Pac Coast. The idea was similar, target at non motorcycle riders, the aim was to make it easy to ride, look safe, lots of covered storage and lots or protection from engine fluids and the elements.

I loved this bike when it was first released, it was so spaceage! I did testride one that was listed cheap on Kijiji 2 years ago, comfortable but sloth like performance, I think my 250 Virago was quicker to 60.

It had auto adjusting hydraulic valves??!! How come we never saw more of this tech on bikes past the PC 800?

GL1500 had hydraulic.

It had auto adjusting hydraulic valves??!! How come we never saw more of this tech on bikes past the PC 800?

Common in automotive practice ... "hydraulic lifters" a.k.a. "hydraulic lash adjusters".

And modern engines built with modern materials with modern tolerances frequently either don't need valve clearance adjustments or have inspection intervals so long that it hardly matters.

Toyota builds plenty of engines with fixed (i.e. shim-type) valve clearances ...

Hydraulic lifters were important back in the days of pushrod valve mechanisms and cast-iron cylinder heads, that have a ton of tolerance stack-up and differential thermal expansion that result in big changes in valve clearance just by starting the engine cold and warming it up.

DOHC with direct-acting buckets on the valve stems, not so much.

So the simple answer is that it isn't needed.

Bike is a 1964 Velocette Vogue apposed twin.
The Vogue was a small motorcycle designed to compete with scooters. It produced about 8 hp and top cruising speed of 80kmh. About 400 were produced. Ariel’s Leader was more motorcycle, over 20000 produced, it used a 250 s stroke that cruised at 110.

The Vogue was a small motorcycle designed to compete with scooters. It produced about 8 hp and top cruising speed of 80kmh. About 400 were produced. Ariel’s Leader was more motorcycle, over 20000 produced, it used a 250 s stroke that cruised at 110.
Really cool to see bikes like that.Jamie McGregor has Jody and Bonnie bring their collection out at his Bicycle show every year.

Almost bought a PC800 a couples years back as a Wing replacement. She let me do a test ride and it was not a bad bike. No it's not a sport bike but with an 800cc v twin it had adequate jam.

The problem with these is that over the decades of removing the tupperware the plastic tabs have a tendancy to break off in different spots and then the bodywork squeaks as you ride. This one had a tip over at a dealership and a bunch of brand new panels were installed it was very quiet.

Back
Top Bottom