Mileage: Dealbreaker or not? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mileage: Dealbreaker or not?

MT93

When you guys are buying or have bought your bike at one point, we’re you looking at the mileage/km to see if a significantly used bike would be a dealbreaker or not?

I know there are other factors that go into decision making process, but how much mileage is considered too much, if any?

200,000k would be high on an air-cooled bike, 500,000k would be high for a water cooled bike.

Here's maybe a more useful answer:

Mileage is information that can help you estimate the true condition of a vehicle, but for me personally it is less heavily weighted than what I can see with my eyes. Unless it's a crazy person who is the first owner and admits they blew past the first service 45,000km ago. I would probably pass.

*Sub-note: Bought a GS500 once from the first owner, it had 45K on it I think? Owner told me he never did a valve adjustment once, still went through with it against my better judgement. Opened it up - it was past due but after it was adjusted it still ran pretty good for a GS500. Moral of the story? Some people will tell you valve adjustments are little concern on modern bikes (which the GS500 is not) but I would recommend you have the factory service interval in your head when measuring up a potential bike.

Depends on the bike.

100,000k on a gsxr600 is different from 100,000k on an st1300.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
100km on a gsxr600 would be 3.5 perhaps 4 seasons for me, imo wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Matt,

What are you looking at? As mentioned, a lot depends on the bike itself and use. However, part of the equation is its intended use from purchase.

If it’s a high mileage tourer and the previous owner is parting ways because they replaced it with a newer machine for the latest and greatest and just had to have it but would have kept riding the previous machine etc.

Maybe it’s good for another roll of the odo as it’s been well cared for.

Will it be a weekend timmies parking lot appearance and long ride home kind of deal?

Are you the kind of owner that will take care of it yourself or rely on a shop?

Most know the wear and tear bits fairly well and prepared there might be more than a chain and sprocket replacement down the road.

All comes down to verified maintenance and impression the selling owner provides.

Just keep in mind it’s a machine with moving parts. Even the brands with the best reputation have service requirements.

If it’s got high mileage, when was it last on the road and why is it being sold now?

That sort of thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

engines dont explode often, most modern bikes are pretty reliable, if it looks and runs ok, your probably OK
If its got high mileage but was reasonably maintained, you got nothing to worry about, if it wasnt that well maintained you might need to replace the usual expendables (brake pads, bearings etc)

Disclaimer, I still wont buy a high mileage shaft drive beemer though, those you cant really replace like chains (unless im mistaken)

Some guys 1098 recently lost a main bearing and exploded at around 10k. That’s a relatively new not air cooled bike and it’s not the first time it’s happened to someone. Then there’s some guy on the Ducati forum that had something like 300k on a 90s monster with no sort of engine overhauls done. It’s an indicator of some things but not usually much.

Depends on the bike.

100,000k on a gsxr600 is different from 100,000k on an st1300.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
So I’m looking at an 08 Ninja 250 with roughly 19.7k in usage. I might add that it has upgraded fairings and new tires.

Cosmetically, it looks great as the owner says it’s in mint condition but I haven’t seen the bike yet so I’ll have to wait and see for myself.

So I’m looking at an 08 Ninja 250 with roughly 19.7k in usage. I might add that it has upgraded fairings and new tires.

Cosmetically, it looks great as the owner says it’s in mint condition but I haven’t seen the bike yet so I’ll have to wait and see for myself.

Upgraded fairings usually means the bike has gone down.

Unless he still has the original fairings and they're pristine.

Great information, peeps!

I think all in all, what I’m understanding is that it’s really a bike-by-bike basis kinda thing and the mileage is only part of the equation.

im so used to using the mileage # when it comes to car shopping but I guess it’s different with motorcycles.

A dropped bike for your first bike isn't an issue, odds are you may have a mishap as well. Easier to swallow if it's already been down.

Just make sure you`re not being taken to the cleaners.

Gone down as in been dropped right?

Yes, but as @Evoex said, it doesn't mean it's not mechanically sound.

If you pay a premium for a shiny bike with new fairings and then try to sell it and the next buyer has more experience detecting a crashed or dropped bike, you won't be able to sell it for as much as you thought.

Yes, but as @Evoex said, it doesn't mean it's not mechanically sound.

If you pay a premium for a shiny bike with new fairings and then try to sell it and the next buyer has more experience detecting a crashed or dropped bike, you won't be able to sell it for as much as you

Ask the seller straight up; why the new fairings? Then evaluate his/her answer. I've always found that my sense of who I'm dealing with on a used purchase of anything is a big factor in whether I go ahead with the purchase or not. You can usually size someone up pretty quickly once you meet them in person and ask a few questions. That and the condition of the bike plus knowing the maintenance history are key factors for me. Mileage is only one factor to consider.

Small displacement bikes 250cc-400cc are a dime a dozen. Since they are mainly used as beginner/first bikes, people usually outgrow them and then sell them. So don't fall in love with one particular bike you see, as there will always be new ones that pop up.

Crash damage is also extremely common on learner bikes. The question is, how bad was it. A low-speed tip-over resulting in scraped-up fairings but no major structural damage can warrant fairing replacement, and isn't really an issue, but if the new fairings are covering up all sorts of bent parts underneath, that's potentially an issue. As a rule ... "upgraded fairings" or "new paint" (non-stock paint in general) means the bike has been crashed.

Maybe it's an issue, maybe not. One of my bikes - now 31 years old - I bought from the second owner as a race bike. It had been crashed, as a race bike. All the shiny original fairings came with it (but not installed on the bike) ... I still have them in storage. It had been crashed as a race bike, and to add to that, in 2007 (I think), a car turned left in front of me, and I hit it. Still have the bike, still on the road, all aftermarket fairings and paint job with the pretty originals in storage, I've put about 60,000 km on it total over 20 years. If you look in the right spots, you can see little hints of its past ... I don't care, I built it to ride it.

Give the bike a thorough going-over to look for damage. Look for fairing panels that don't fit properly, uneven gaps, non-original-equipment fasteners, mismatched fasteners, scraped bar-ends, scraped levers, scraped footpegs and foot controls, etc. Scrapes on the ends of brake levers aren't a big concern. Non-original or mismatched fasteners just means the previous owner was sloppy with rebuilding it (what else were they sloppy with??). Fairing panels that don't fit properly together and uneven gaps and the like, mean that something underneath is bent (or the fairings are aftermarket rubbish).

The number on the odometer doesn't mean much, although a big number means low resale value. Good when buying, bad when selling.

Back
Top Bottom