Mechanics' Lien Act | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mechanics' Lien Act

This is where it gets messy - you take your vehicle in on a tow truck, you never show up to sign the work order, all estimates are given verbally over the phone. Then, after the work is complete you get cold feet over the price and want to bail. The repairer MUST demand that you show up, sign the work order and return again to be provided with a written copy of the estimate (although an electronic transmission is likely to be accepted).
If you do not acknowledge you've received all these steps, you're off the hook completely ?

Email authorization would provide just as good of a paper record. One of those things where most shops don't worry about these things because 99.9% of the time it is a non-issue, for the other 0.01% you just have to suck it up and admit to yourself you didn't cover yourself as best as you could have.

Email authorization would provide just as good of a paper record. One of those things where most shops don't worry about these things because 99.9% of the time it is a non-issue, for the other 0.01% you just have to suck it up and admit to yourself you didn't cover yourself as best as you could have.
Truth.

CYA is the name of the game. Honour and a handshake are worth sh!t. It sucks that you found yourself in this position and I gather that it was a trusting nature that brought you there in the first place.

CYA is the name of the game. Honour and a handshake are worth sh!t. It sucks that you found yourself in this position and I gather that it was a trusting nature that brought you there in the first place.
I was just a bystander. It sucks that both sides couldn't come to an amicable conclusion. The shop was out $$$ for the work performed and buddy didn't get the repair done that he needed. A gross misunderstanding escalated into a war of words.

Overall, do more consumers get ripped off by auto repairs shops than auto repair shops get ripped off by consumers?

I don't have stats on hand, but I'm 99% comfortable that consumers get ripped off way more than shops, and therefore. laws are skewed in their favour. I'm OK with that, majority rules.

estimate of repairs and all other correspondence was over the phone

This was the beginning of the problem.

Cover Your Ass. CYA. Everything. Verbal is only good until the first "I didn't say that" or "I didnt agree to that", then it's you against them.

Email, or in person, with a paper trail and/or signature for ANYTHING that may result in a misunderstanding of potential legal issue.

I CYA everything, particularly interactions with businesses involving contracts, insurance companies, and work.

Back
Top Bottom