M1 M2 time schedule | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 M2 time schedule

garyintoronto

Hi, Gary here, last few steps to be a part of this motor family,
I already registered for Practical Training: April 3rd & 4th from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm on BOTH days (RTI)
F** I know it's COLD!!! the earliest time in 2021, so my plan is
M1 test: Feb 1st, 2021
M2 study/X test: March 4th (just around 60days after M1)
How is the plan, good? and after M1 x TEST, how soon I can take my M2 yellow paper from DriverTest center?
One day? One week?
I am going to take m1 at the beginning of Feb, but I am also afraid m1 will expire during the period of waiting for RTI notifying MTO gap before I get my temporary m2 paper
Just check insurance with Desjardin insurance, about $90 monthly if driving Ninja 400 KRT.

Last edited:
Thats what I did.
Did my M1 at the tail end of Feb and completed my M2 early April.

UPGRADING TO YOUR M2 LICENCE:

You must ride under the restrictions of an M1 for at least 60 days before upgrading to the M2 or M2 (L) licence. Once you complete the course with RTI, you must wait 60 days from the day you received your M1, and then return to a DriveTest Centre to request the upgrade to your M2 or M2 (L).

IF YOU DO NOT UPGRADE TO YOUR M2/M2(L) WITHIN 6 MONTHS FROM TAKING AN M2 TEST WITH RTI YOUR RESULTS WILL EXPIRE. You MUST go into a DriveTest Centre to upgrade to your M2/M2(L) – it is not automatically applied to your licence.

RTI will notify MTO themselves - but I had to wait until June (2 month wait) before my new license was mailed to me.
Hopefully you were able to avail of the 20% off offer they had.

Booked my M exit and a few courses as well for May-June 2021.

I already registered for Practical Training: April 3rd & 4th from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm on BOTH days (RTI)
How is the plan, good? and after M1 x TEST, how soon I can take my M2 yellow paper from DriverTest center?
One day? One week?
Just check insurance with Desjardin insurance, about $90 monthly if driving Ninja 400 KRT.
call insurance with the actual VIN# so you don't get a surprise.

What is Practical Training? Some sort street experience bootcamp?

Sounds like you`re going to take the M2 directly from the ministry?

I'm biased since i instruct, but i'd say you could probably find a very good training/test package offered locally in one weekend. Depending on whose doing the training you could be picking up good street skills from the beginning. My advice is spend the $400 and take a weekend course with the test on Sunday.

you shouldn't need to wait 60 days to take the exam, but they won't upgrade your license until you pass the 60 day mark.

Thats what I did.
Did my M1 at the tail end of Feb and completed my M2 early April.

UPGRADING TO YOUR M2 LICENCE:

You must ride under the restrictions of an M1 for at least 60 days before upgrading to the M2 or M2 (L) licence. Once you complete the course with RTI, you must wait 60 days from the day you received your M1, and then return to a DriveTest Centre to request the upgrade to your M2 or M2 (L).

IF YOU DO NOT UPGRADE TO YOUR M2/M2(L) WITHIN 6 MONTHS FROM TAKING AN M2 TEST WITH RTI YOUR RESULTS WILL EXPIRE. You MUST go into a DriveTest Centre to upgrade to your M2/M2(L) – it is not automatically applied to your licence.

RTI will notify MTO themselves - but I had to wait until June (2 month wait) before my new license was mailed to me.
Hopefully you were able to avail of the 20% off offer they had.

Booked my M exit and a few courses as well for May-June 2021.
Thanks! I am going to take m1 at the beginning of Feb, but I am also afraid m1 will expire during the period of waiting RTI notifying MTO gap, before I get my temporary m2 paper

call insurance with the actual VIN# so you don't get a surprise.

What is Practical Training? Some sort street experience bootcamp?

Sounds like you`re going to take the M2 directly from the ministry?

I'm biased since i instruct, but i'd say you could probably find a very good training/test package offered locally in one weekend. Depending on whose doing the training you could be picking up good street skills from the beginning. My advice is spend the $400 and take a weekend course with the test on Sunday.

you shouldn't need to wait 60 days to take the exam, but they won't upgrade your license until you pass the 60 day mark.
Yep, I will take M2 class from RTI. I am waiting 60 days for the m2 license, not taking the exam. It's the perfect schedule to avoid m1+certification period, lol

Yep, I will take M2 class from RTI. I am waiting 60 days for the m2 license, not taking the exam. It's the perfect schedule to avoid m1+certification period, lol
im slightly confused but;

1. as long as you pass your exam before your m1 expires you have about 6 months to go in and upgrade it
  2. RTI is pretty big, they should have the ability to handshake with the ministry computers. Likely about 24 hours after you pass they would upload this to the MTO. So then again, you'd have 6 months to go in and get it upgraded

im slightly confused but;

1. as long as you pass your exam before your m1 expires you have about 6 months to go in and upgrade it
  2. RTI is pretty big, they should have the ability to handshake with the ministry computers. Likely about 24 hours after you pass they would upload this to the MTO. So then again, you'd have 6 months to go in and get it upgraded
OH! Yes, just need to go back to an MTO DriveTest Centre no earlier than 60 days after your M1 was issued, and no later than 6 months from the day passed the M1 X course to complete the upgrade, I thought it was no later than 90 days after M1 issued! thanks! Six months....

OH! Yes, just need to go back to an MTO DriveTest Centre no earlier than 60 days after your M1 was issued, and no later than 6 months from the day passed the M1 X course to complete the upgrade, I thought it was no later than 90 days after M1 issued! thanks! Six months....
Np.

Yeah, what Evoex said. I did the RTI course (Scarborough location) in July, and on the last day when we passed they said to wait a couple days before going in and handing in our paperwork to MTO. The course was well worth the money. Everyone passed. Even though there was a crazy rain during testing ?‍♂️

Yeah, what Evoex said. I did the RTI course (Scarborough location) in July, and on the last day when we passed they said to wait a couple days before going in and handing in our paperwork to MTO. The course was well worth the money. Everyone passed. Even though there was a crazy rain during testing ?‍♂️
i think it rained every weekend i taught this year, except one. ?

Af
Yep, how soon you can get the temporary license after pass m1 X test? Thanks.

One day? One week?
I am going to take m1 at the beginning of Feb, but I am also afraid m1 will expire during the period of waiting for RTI notifying MTO gap before I get my temporary m2 paper

On the 60th day after you passed your M1.

Which location and which institute do you teach at? RTI?
Learning Curves.

Brampton
Etobicoke
Keswick
Shannonville
Courtice
Beaches

Af

Yep, how soon you can get the temporary license after pass m1 X test? Thanks.
Technically the day after you pass, assuming you met the 60 day requirement already.

I'd add another 24 to 48 hours for Drive Test to update their systems.

Hi Gary,
I can make comment in reference to the M1 and M2 as to make it clear for you. I am a Senior Instructor with RTI and, Senior designation refers to the MTO and being able to conduct the evaluation at the end of your weekend.

RTI is in its planning stages currently looking at recertification processes for our instructors. As of now we are set to start courses the third weekend of March. That said, depending on location and availability our courses are filling fast. Putting it in perspective and reflecting on 2020...
We had planned on a start in March and we did not start until June due to government restrictions with COVID. We started in June and we were fully booked for our Riding Basics course within a couple of weeks, with a substantial wait list.

For those considering your M1 I recommend going to RTI ridertraining.ca and signing up online. The office is currently closed but you can book online for all of our courses.

Once you have your course booked to need to attend a licensing office and obtain your M1. It is valid for 90 days. As a requirement to graduated licensing you must hold your M1 for a minimum of 60 days before getting your M1 upgraded. In Gary's case if you receive your M1 on April 1st, although successful on the weekend, you will need ride under the M1 restrictions until late May, early June.

Rider Training Institute is a Register Authority with the MTO. This allows RTI to conduct the evaluation after completing the curriculum. Our course runs from 8:00 until 4:30 for two days. The evaluation is done in the afternoon on the second day. If successful, RTI notifies MTO and there is no need to "test" again. In the event that you are not successful on the evaluation RTI does offer a free retest. RTI provide various bike styles (Cruiser, Standard, Enduro and Sport) for our students. You are responsible for bringing your safety gear.

Your M2 is valid from the date you upgrade for a maximum of 5 years. You MUST hold your M2 for a minimum of 18 months before returning for our Riding Strategies course (M2X). This course is a single day 8:00 until 5:00 and is done on your own motorcycle. RTI instructors ride with you in a small group and pass on our knowledge of the on-road evaluation. At the end of the day you ride and we make "notes"... my fancy word for filling in the evaluation. For the M2X course there is no wait period. You can upgrade your license within a couple of day due to administration but no official wait time.

Rider Training Institute has been a big part of my life starting 13 years ago we are in our 20th season this season. I have taken all the courses AND now I am both an instructor as well an instructor trainer. Gary.... I may even see you in April depending on your location. Keep an eye for me and PLEASE say hello. I am looking forward to meeting you and passing on my passion of the AMAZING sport.

Stay safe out there everyone.
Just like your name, thanks for all those details! I pass my m1 on 21 Jan, 2021 and already registered RTI m2 course on 3-4 April in North york location. I think this is fast schedule to get my m2 test and without waiting period. Will you tech in that location?

Just like your name, thanks for all those details! I pass my m1 on 21 Jan, 2021 and already registered RTI m2 course on 3-4 April in North york location. I think this is fast schedule to get my m2 test and without waiting period. Will you tech in that location?
I have not received my confirmed schedule yet. Just look for me if I am there. :)

FYI I just heard Learning Curves will start website/live bookings on Feb 8th for most but not all locations, m1 & m2 exit. Plan is to start the weekend of April 3rd pending Health restrictions.

cya out there

Back
Top Bottom