M1 Exit Riding Course | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Exit Riding Course

kurtrules

Hi All,

I have been riding motorcycles from 2007. Mainly long distance touring. My last ride was in December 2015. I haven't ridden (except a few kms here and there when I go back home for a visit) since then. By then, I guess I must have covered 100,000+ kms combined from both my motorcycles. Cutting back to 2020, I am looking to get into riding again. My experience was not considered in Ontario, as I don't hold a license from a country which has a mutual licensing agreement with the govt, and thus I just got my M1 - 2 days ago.

I will purchase a motorcycle next year.

I am considering the following two options:

1. Book an M1 exit road test with the MTO, attempt at passing it. Then hold on to the M2 till next year. Hopefully my insurance will go down by then.
2. Get enrolled in a training institute, re-learn the basics, attempt at passing the M2 test there. Then hold on to the M2 till next year. The additional overhead - $520 expense from an institute like Learning Curves.

I am looking for assistance on which option to choose from. Is it worth taking the training course for an experience rider or is that for new riders? Thanks in advance. Btw, I am 36.

It might be more of a question of can you get insurance without doing a training course? Many can't, but it sounds like you can borrow a bike to do the M2?
It's been a long time since I did my rider's test, but from what I've seen on YouTube, it doesn't look that hard.
Either way, I'd call some insurance companies and ask. The 520 could be covered by insurance discounts over 3 years

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

Thank you. I have a friend who owns a 250cc. I can borrow that. I have all my old riding gear which I can use. For the insurance part, I will try and get in touch with a few agents - wasn't aware that taking the course might turn out to be a mandate. If the case is, like you mentioned it, then that settles the confusion. I will have to go for option 2 ?

Do the course for peace of mind. It'll be a piece of cake for ya, you get the licence endorsement at the end, and insurance companies like it. It costs a bit but the benefits for insurance rates long term easily outweigh the buy it.

My dad and I got started on our licence paths around the same time. We went about it differently. Pops had experience so he just winged it with all his tests. He just passed his M test last week with only a couple errors. I went the more expensive/foolproof route and wrote my M1 and immediately enrolled in an M1 exit at Durham college. Likely going to do my M2 exit somewhere early next year as well. You meet some nice folks at the courses as well

Do the course for peace of mind. It'll be a piece of cake for ya, you get the licence endorsement at the end, and insurance companies like it. It costs a bit but the benefits for insurance rates long term easily outweigh the buy it.

My dad and I got started on our licence paths around the same time. We went about it differently. Pops had experience so he just winged it with all his tests. He just passed his M test last week with only a couple errors. I went the more expensive/foolproof route and wrote my M1 and immediately enrolled in an M1 exit at Durham college. Likely going to do my M2 exit somewhere early next year as well. You meet some nice folks at the courses as well

Thank you for your input. I think I will consider going in for the course.

Thank you for your input. I think I will consider going in for the course.

Many insurance companies won't even insure you without the course, or proof that you have registered for one. Just a heads up.

Let us know what you think of the experience when you've finished the course. Self taught rider here

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

I teach the M1X course actually...
I've had many students who were self taught that needed to have many bad habits removed and reprogrammed as best we can.
Quite a few old school riders try some of the things we teach, and can't do it. We work with them until they can - usually they don't want to listen as they know everything already, but once we show them a few things, there's usually an "aha!" moment.

So, hopefully the $500 you spend on the course will save you a whack of money in insurance (I see rates of $4500/year drop to $1750/year regularly) right off the get go.

I've had many students who were self taught that needed to have many bad habits removed and reprogrammed as best we can.
Quite a few old school riders try some of the things we teach, and can't do it. We work with them until they can - usually they don't want to listen as they know everything already, but once we show them a few things, there's usually an "aha!" moment.

I came here to say exactly this.

Take the course. I guarantee you'll learn something, and perhaps unlearn some dangerous things. Every oldschool rider has some very bad habits they are probably completely unaware they even have, and have perceived ideas on some things (IE, the "I had to lay her down" crap) that are not based in reality.

Be the person who continually learns instead of the person who thinks they know everything.

I came here to say exactly this.

Take the course. I guarantee you'll learn something, and perhaps unlearn some dangerous things. Every oldschool rider has some very bad habits they are probably completely unaware they even have, and have perceived ideas on some things (IE, the "I had to lay her down" crap) that are not based in reality.

Be the person who continually learns instead of the person who thinks they know everything.

Well said - Now that you mention it, it gets me thinking. I am more inclined on 'unlearning the bad habits' that I have subconsciously ingrained over the years. One, that I am aware off - but never paid much attention to - is too much of engine braking, unnecessarily at times. Relied on it, as I rode a lot on hilly terrain. Moreover, I grew up riding in a completely different environment, different country, where we had learn on our own. There was no option of a "motorcycle training course"; none were offered..

So in a way, I am excited!

Back
Top Bottom