Life span of a helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

Life span of a helmet

Hi all, I'm new to motorcycle and looking to buy some gears. I've heard that there's a life span of 5 years for motorcycle helmets, that you need to replace it because the materials used will degrade over time, is this true? Does it depend on how often you use it? When does the 5 year starts counting? I'm looking at a Scorpion EX 1000 or Shoei RF 1100 helmet thanks

I am still rockin my HJC from 15 years ago! lol Looking at getting a new one today or this week. If I go down, with this thing I would be better off with an egg shell.

Met a guy at the track who showed us a Marushin helmet that was past it's prime. When we told him it was most likely no longer safe, he was pretty surprised.

One time, after showing my Dad my new helmet, he laughed at me for spending so much money on it when I still had a "perfectly good" helmet. Then he went to the closet, got his helmet and proudly told me that it was older than me and still as good as new. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of old helmets around and now the foam has turn into powder that would stick to your head if you put it on...

Yes it does break down. I had an old shoei, probably 10 yrs+ and black dust came out of it when I dug it out. Actually not sure if that was the foam or the liner. Manufacturers state 5 years but in the end its your skull.

what if the helmet has been sitting at the shop for 2 years, is that why they go on sale? so when you buy it'll only have 3 years left? does it says on the box that when the helmet is manufactured?

what if the helmet has been sitting at the shop for 2 years, is that why they go on sale? so when you buy it'll only have 3 years left? does it says on the box that when the helmet is manufactured?

Go directly to the helmet web site i.e shoei, arai to get the correct information. Most helmets will have a sticker indicating the date it was manufactured.

Go directly to the helmet web site i.e shoei, arai to get the correct information. Most helmets will have a sticker indicating the date it was manufactured.

+1 Best advise is from the manufacturer. Like another posted stated "it's your skull" I am also sure after a few years you'll find something new that suits you.

Scorpion EX 1000 or Shoei RF 1100 helmet thanks

I got the exo 1000. Like the look, the fit is perfect for me and with the added cheekpump just snugs up the fit nicely now (pads have been broken down a bit from about 6 months in it, almost daily, and the pump is really handy now, just 3 pumps and its good) Drop down visor is very beneficial (don't need a to carry a second full visor or sunglasses) Ride with the clear visor open and drop down eye visor inside down to protect your eyes, good when its very hot out too. The visor lock feature is nice, I hardly use it. Easy on / off with the visor if you want to clean it, or replace it. Both SNELL and DOT approved.

Only 1 con, a bit heavy when you got it on for 2hrs + (gotten used to it), and for some the price but I got mine when I bought my bike from GP for a great price.

My Icon helmet has a sticker on the inside when you remove the liner. It's stuck on to the hard foam inside of it. I don't know if the stores will allow you to remove the liner to check before you buy it. Personally I don't see a problem with it, but store owners can be ********** sometimes...

5 years from the date of manufacture.

It's actually 5 years from the time you start using it, according to most manufacturers. When a helmet is stored properly, wrapped and in its box, it deteriorates very slowly. Even when it's used, there's not much that affects it, aside from dropping or hitting it. UV a bit but it will take a lot of exposure.

There's no regulation in Ontario, btw.

Back
Top Bottom