Legal question (not motorcycle related) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Legal question (not motorcycle related)

KrazyBones

Hey guys,

I know this is not a proper place but maybe someone here can give some advice.

So:

A Friend of mine was accepted to a nursing bridging program at a collage in mid may. She accepted the offer, payed for tuition, bought books, rearranged her life around the coming school year. During orientation (7 days before class started and 3 and a half months after she accepted the offer) the program coordinator said that there was a mistake in the admission department and that she will no longer be eligible. (a new requirement was just added this year where if you failed a course and redid it you will not be allowed in the program.) This requirement was not mentioned anywhere on the program description or application form.

Also she was not informed by any letter and not in any meeting. She was informed in a group setting with 6-7 other students effected. Also some people did not attend orientation and some left early. Some people may not be aware of this and continue paying tuition and expecting to get into the university part of the program. They never will.

So now she have a part time nursing job instead of a full time job, school books she cannot use, cannot apply to any other college until next year, is depressed and rearranged her whole life for nothing.

Can she sue the college?

She has a appointment with a lawyer. Anyone know where we can get a list of laywers dealing with Academic law (education stuff)?

This happened this year to my friend as well. My friends was Laurier University in Waterloo.
Exact same scenario but she also got accepted to 3 other schools and turned them down and found this out 4 days before school started after she payed tuition and bought books, made living arrangements.
I would also love to hear some advice for her.

This happened this year to my friend as well. My friends was Laurier University in Waterloo.
Exact same scenario but she also got accepted to 3 other schools and turned them down and found this out 4 days before school started after she payed tuition and bought books, made living arrangements.
I would also love to hear some advice for her.

Going to see a lawyer tomorrow will update. There has to be some financial restitution. My friend cant get more hours at the hospital until December as the schedule is set in stone and she requested most of the days off because of school

Going to see a lawyer tomorrow will update. There has to be some financial restitution. My friend cant get more hours at the hospital until December as the schedule is set in stone and she requested most of the days off because of school

I told the girl to tell the school either pay for everything school related (books, tuition...), housing, and lost wages (what she would have made graduated vs her part time job) or else to take legal action as she had other options and now her career is pushed back a year.
I will see how hers is going and report back as well

The lawyer that the upper canada law society recommended does not deal with this type of issues. On Monday we plan to see the CEO of the school and meet with another lawyer. Also if anyone has any connections to any local news networks see if they would be willing to run a story on this.

Based on your post it appears that it is Centennial that is causing the issues. You might want to get Ryerson involved if it is a joint program.

Here is the link to the ombudsman at Ryerson.

http://www.ryerson.ca/ombuds/index.html

The lawyer that the upper canada law society recommended does not deal with this type of issues. On Monday we plan to see the CEO of the school and meet with another lawyer. Also if anyone has any connections to any local news networks see if they would be willing to run a story on this.

man, that's krazy. Hope it goes well though.

i plan to go see the CEO of centennial tomorrow with her. I don't care if thats too high up the chain.

My friend just finished speaking with a lawyer on Friday and they said she was SOL.
He said he would have a better chance if she would have signed a lease instead of living with a relative.
But she just said oh well and got all the money back she spent on books, tuition..
I personally would never have had rolled over that easy but she is to easy going.

Good luck to you though.

I understand the want to go as high up the chain as possible to begin with but that often does not work in the academic world. But if you already have an appointment go for it..

If I were you I'd follow a bit of protocol. If you are lucky you might even get somebody who really sympathizes with you and can "champion" your case to a higher level. I'd try the Dean of Admissions, followed by the vice president academic and then finally the president/ceo.

I could not find any indication of an ombudsman at Centennial.

Regardless, good luck and I hope you work something out that is palatable to both you and the school.

i plan to go see the CEO of centennial tomorrow with her. I don't care if thats too high up the chain.

The CEO was not in but the secretary gave us contact with the registrar head, VP or students and dean of students. We spoke to the registrar and he will speak to the VP of students and see whats what. Also jeffjones your friend did roll over as a acceptance letter is sort of like a contact between you and the school. Telling someone that the collage or university made a mistake is in breach of this. I would understand if it was a month later or so but not during orientation or the first day of school.

We worked it out and my friend is out 15k of just income because of this. They have 2 choices, pay damages or work it out where she can stay in the program. I will help her pursue this to the end of time.

Back
Top Bottom