Lap Timers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lap Timers

ronaldhino

I've been riding for about a month now and have done 3 track days. I can already feel myself getting quicker but would really like to get accurate data tracking my progress. Anyone have any experience with a good lap timer? I would like to get one soon without breaking the bank account. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Meeee too!

Maybe anyone can help with respect to a Blackberry?

I'm hoping a Bluetooth GPS receiver and some free software would do the trick. Maybe a total solution in the range of $100? Wishful thinking?

I know mobile phone built in GPS receivers stink and are at best +/- 1 second and or 1 to 5 meters.

I don't mind being off a tenth....it's just for track days.

I use an XT timer, pretty common on track days. I bought just the timer itself knowing that typically someone will bring a transmitter to set on the pit wall. They are a bit over your wishfull thinking $100 but a well worth investment to track your progress. Got mine from Pete http://www.petes-superbike.com/english/xt-lap-timer-and-transmitter-2-foot-cable-4.html

Can't help you with the blackberry GPS app's though... would hate to crash and instead of losing a $180 timer, your bust your $600 blackberry.

I've been riding for about a month now and have done 3 track days. I can already feel myself getting quicker but would really like to get accurate data tracking my progress. Anyone have any experience with a good lap timer? I would like to get one soon without breaking the bank account. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Meeee too!

Maybe anyone can help with respect to a Blackberry?

I'm hoping a Bluetooth GPS receiver and some free software would do the trick. Maybe a total solution in the range of $100? Wishful thinking?

I know mobile phone built in GPS receivers stink and are at best +/- 1 second and or 1 to 5 meters.

I don't mind being off a tenth....it's just for track days.

http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/b...accessories/racing_laptimers/stealth_gps.html

Both myself and a couple of friends have one, and it does everything I've ever needed (including best potential lap calculations...) No transmitter needed. $450.00 though.

There is no in-between... you either spend some money $400+ on a GPS like timer that will give you loads of information going around a track or you can buy something just over $150 that will tell you how fast you went around a track.
I'm using the XT Ultra timer... not a lot of information other than what my lap time is but it's cheap and can be bought used cheaper!
I have bought the Beacon for the pit wall but usually somebody has one up so that purchase is optional.

http://www.motorcycletoystore.com/s...cle-electronics/xt-ultra-lap-timer/p_204.html

Well, this is interesting indeed. A buddy of mine had a crappy nokia and used this free software:
http://www.racechrono.com/

(There is another PC based software that you can import the data into (which I forget the link to, as I'm in the office ATM). But the Race Chrono software does the analysis on Nokia and Windows based phones very well.)

As did I, but I used it with my Samsung Omnia. The data output was amazing as split times and start finish line was set later in the software. It also displayed braking and acceleration curves, etc. Also a map which can be synced up with google maps.

However in my case the built in phone GPS was inaccurate with 1Hz frequency, meaning 1 signal feed per second and ultimately any missed signal from the satelite meant horrible inaccuracy.

Now my friend on the other hand hooked up a Blue Tooth GPS receiver to his phone which I believe is 7 to 10 Hz and had an accuracy of +/- 2 tenths.

I may just go back to using my Omnia as a lap timer in my pocket then, but was hoping anyone had advice pertaining to Blue Tooth GPS receivers.

Last edited:
Ah check this out!!!

$79.....10Hz Bluetooth GPS receiver!!! Woooohoooooo
http://www.semsons.com/qsbt10blgpsr.html

This should up the accuracy of a mobile phone.

So one ping per tenth of a second, give or take a miss or two hear and there and it's accurate enough for the casual track day rider!

But if you're looking for hundredths....Gotta fork out the big bucks it seems!

Bonus!!! Looks like it comes with RaceChrono....May not even require a phone! Unless you wanna see live graphs and times.

My 10 (gen 1) has a built-in lap timer... Doesn't yours?

Yep, but you gotta hit the button. In the full tuck, whilst pinching a loaf, and changing gears I tend to miss, or forget to to hit the button. My thumb is even worse than a 1HZ GPS phone and often is a 1:40 seconds out cause I missed a lap!

I love checking the data after on a laptop of phone and finding our where I got on the brakes late or early and at what speeds, what speeds I take corners, my exact lines on a map, etc. But the problem is the accuracy with a phone's built in GPS.

That's why I'm thinking seperate 10hz receiver. I just found a waterproof 20Hz receiver but the price jumped from $79 to $2990!!!!!

So it looks like 10Hz GPS is as accurate as I'm going to get for $100

A coworker used the Qstarz BT-Q1000EX. Comes with software. Its a gps laptimer. No readout, but keeps it in memory. Plug into the computer and it'll show your times, speeds at every point in the track. Never used myself, but it seemed to be pretty decent. It goes for $160 with software. They have a canadian distributor you can find on the website. I think shipping was $15ish.

If you want to go cheap buy an xt laptimer, and try to get a good used one. I bought mine off wera13x forum in the classifieds for just over $100 shipped. You really don't need a beacon someone almost always has one setup.

I have no complaints but this is the only lap timer I have ever had. It is a GPS model so you do not need to worry about a becan and it has a lot of adjustments. Currently I have it setup to monitor my speed, gear, water temp, acceleration, throttle response and RPM. I would like it to monitor my brakes but I will need to reinstall a brake switch. This unit will also replace the factory dash if you chose.

I bought mine new from the US for $645US plus shipping. If you have any question mounting it or getting is hooked up let me know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom