Killbear/Killarney Provincial Parks | GTAMotorcycle.com

Killbear/Killarney Provincial Parks

kurtrules

Hi All,

A bit late on asking this. I am going on a family trip leaving tomorrow morning for 3 days to Sudbury and around, and the plan for the day tomorrow is to spend some time at a provincial park and overnight at a hotel in Sudbury. My elder daughter enjoys beaches a lot so I was looking at a few provincial parks north of GTA, which fall on the way to Sudbury and these two looked the most attractive for exploring (in-car) and spending a good part of the afternoon on a beach.

I haven't been to any of these parks. Which one would you folks recommend for spending a nice day on the beach with the family, and areas that can be travelled to whilst driving? I don't plan on hiking as I have a 4 month old infant with me.

Thanks in advance!

At Killbear, once you're in the park, you can drive all the way to the very end of the main road (to Lighthouse Point campground) there are 2 beaches there, the main one is beside the parking lot at the end of the road, (dont go into the actual campground) and the other is through the trees to the right about 100 meters before the parking lot. THAT one is smaller but has very shallow water, you can walk a looong way out.
I went there with my parents (camped at Lighthouse Point) every summer as a kid. They used to do a weekly outdoor amphitheatre with some wildlife type movie, not sure if they still do this.

If you're just talking day use, get your day use permit NOW. Like, once you've figured out what parks you want to go to...RIGHT now.

Covid protocols have had many parks turning away day use people once the parks reach capacity, and just showing up means you might not get in if it's reached capacity. Sucks getting all hyped up only to get turned around.

Hell, we have a season pass and they're even making us pass holders make reservations before they'll let us in. I nearly got turned around at Darlington Provincial Park this evening and had to make a "reservation" in the parking lot.

If you bought your passes ahead of time, you're good.

Killarney is my favourite place in the whole province but in recent...ish years it's gotten more difficult to land a camping site (i.e. very popular, need a reservation well in advance). It has two small beaches on a beautiful lake accessible to the campground.

At Killbear, once you're in the park, you can drive all the way to the very end of the main road (to Lighthouse Point campground) there are 2 beaches there, the main one is beside the parking lot at the end of the road, (dont go into the actual campground) and the other is through the trees to the right about 100 meters before the parking lot. THAT one is smaller but has very shallow water, you can walk a looong way out.
I went there with my parents (camped at Lighthouse Point) every summer as a kid. They used to do a weekly outdoor amphitheatre with some wildlife type movie, not sure if they still do this.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.
If you're just talking day use, get your day use permit NOW. Like, once you've figured out what parks you want to go to...RIGHT now.

Covid protocols have had many parks turning away day use people once the parks reach capacity, and just showing up means you might not get in if it's reached capacity. Sucks getting all hyped up only to get turned around.

Hell, we have a season pass and they're even making us pass holders make reservations before they'll let us in. I nearly got turned around at Darlington Provincial Park this evening and had to make a "reservation" in the parking lot.

If you bought your passes ahead of time, you're good.

Actually, only 17 parks are participating in the advance booking of a vehicle permit. Day use at Ontario Parks

Neither Killbear nor Killarney are part of the 17. Looks like we'll have to get there early and try our luck. Plan is to leave by 8am tomorrow.

Thanks!

Killarney is my favourite place in the whole province but in recent...ish years it's gotten more difficult to land a camping site (i.e. very popular, need a reservation well in advance). It has two small beaches on a beautiful lake accessible to the campground.

Looks like somebody cancelled. I am getting a camp site in both Killarney and Killbear for tomorrow. Alas, no camping for us. Just intend to leave by 6pm(ish)

Actually, only 17 parks are participating in the advance booking of a vehicle permit. Day use at Ontario Parks

Neither Killbear nor Killarney are part of the 17. Looks like we'll have to get there early and try our luck. Plan is to leave by 8am tomorrow.

Weird - I knew the 17 were special as being required to reserve ahead (which is another story, it's setup kinda dumb and the park gate staff don't seem to have the ability to waive it even when a park is empty, sheesh) but I thought it was still optional at all other parks as well.

Why they'd make it an option at a bunch of parks, but not all (as an option at least, if not mandatory), is strange. Why wouldn't they once the infrastructure is already in place?

Lots of bears in both parks. If you are at Killarney, it's a quick trip to Herberts. Best fish and chips in Ontario!

Lots of bears in both parks. If you are at Killarney, it's a quick trip to Herberts. Best fish and chips in Ontario!
Yes and the most expensive!! Last time I was there two years ago it was $22 for fish and fries for one.

I am really glad we decided to head up to Killarney. More than the park, I enjoyed the little town itself! We passed by Herberts but did not stop for the fish and chips; we rarely eat fish.

The eastern lighthouse itself made the detour worthwhile! Amazing spot..

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

K5.jpg

K1.jpg

George Lake Beach at Killarney PP

K4.jpg

The day before we also went to Windy Lake PP

K6.jpg

Overall, a great experience and am really glad the family loved it. Objective achieved :)

Great pictures!

I can echo the advice to book ahead when you can to avoid disappointment. Up at cottage now, can't believe the volume of traffic on the roads here. Cars packed with people and stuff getting a head start on summer vacation. I think we're going to have record amount of people out and about the province due to ongoing U.S. and abroad travel restrictions / complications. Last summer many were tentative about vacation at all, this year not at all.

I am really glad we decided to head up to Killarney. More than the park, I enjoyed the little town itself! We passed by Herberts but did not stop for the fish and chips; we rarely eat fish.

The eastern lighthouse itself made the detour worthwhile! Amazing spot..

View attachment 49688
Agreed on the light house

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.41.40 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom