Key won’t turn wheel lock? Try this! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Key won’t turn wheel lock? Try this!

Phoenixfire99

Went to unlock my bike a few days ago and the key would not release the wheel lock. I tried jiggling it every which way ensuring the bars were turned all the way to the left - key would not move. The key opened the gas tank and seat lock fine but the ignition was stuck.

Picked up some graphite spray, one shot into the key hole and SUCCESS! Apparently you can get the same effect with shaving from a pencils lead if you’re in a pinch.

Do NOT use WD40.

I've used WD40 just as a preemptive measure to keep things turning easy but I just did a quick search on graphite sprays and it seems it is indeed better if you're worried about dust sticking to oil-based lubes ... never knew.

"The greatest benefit to using graphite (rather than oil) is that the graphite leaves no sticky residue that may later attract dust. This is because the lubricating properties of graphite lie in its weak covalent bonds that allow the layers of graphite to “slide” on top of one another with very little resistance.

With this in mind, it’s often best to use a graphite-based lubricant in applications where dust and dirt are a problem. That said, applications such as locks, key slots, threaded rods, air compressors, hinges, and printer rails are perfect for a dry graphite-based lube."

I've used WD40 just as a preemptive measure to keep things turning easy but I just did a quick search on graphite sprays and it seems it is indeed better if you're worried about dust sticking to oil-based lubes ... never knew.

"The greatest benefit to using graphite (rather than oil) is that the graphite leaves no sticky residue that may later attract dust. This is because the lubricating properties of graphite lie in its weak covalent bonds that allow the layers of graphite to “slide” on top of one another with very little resistance.

With this in mind, it’s often best to use a graphite-based lubricant in applications where dust and dirt are a problem. That said, applications such as locks, key slots, threaded rods, air compressors, hinges, and printer rails are perfect for a dry graphite-based lube."
I'd still use WD40 over graphite to unstick a lock. Locks get stuck due to freezing water, corrosion - or both. Graphite doesn't help much at unfreezing a lock.

WD40 (and other penetrating oils) remove water and ice, they also help free slightly rusted lock parts. Using it first will increase your likelihood of freeing the lock AND reduce the chance you snap off a key.

Once free, squirt in the graphite. Do it each sprint as part of your annual maintenance (ignition, steering lock and seat locks all like to be lubed). I get locksmith graphite off AliExpress, a 10 year supply costs less than $5 delivered.

Locksmith Graphite.

Too much graphite can clog up. If used lightly, insert the key and move up and down to clean either pins or sliders.
My go to is Ronson Multi Lube. You might have to hunt around. Not that easy to find. I had a supply from a few years ago.
Back in the good old days. I wear tear a lock apart and and use Ronson fuel. then set fire to it. Regular brush and came out as clean as new.

Reactions: LBV

Back
Top Bottom