Is this fork noise normal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this fork noise normal?

oioioi

Site Supporter
Need some input.

Is it OK for the forks to be making this strange deep squeaking noise?

This is the first time I put some significant pressure on the forks since the winter. However I have never seen anything like it before with this or any previous bikes.

The only thing I did with the forks over the winter was drop them down back to factory height.

TIA

Need some input.

Is it OK for the forks to be making this strange deep squeaking noise?

This is the first time I put some significant pressure on the forks since the winter. However I have never seen anything like it before with this or any previous bikes.

The only thing I did with the forks over the winter was drop them down back to factory height.

TIA

No it's not normal. Something's binding.
Loosen the front axle nut and lower pinch bolts (DO NOT REMOVE) then pump up and down again a few times with the brake on to let everything align itself.
Retighten as necessary.

Just went out to the garage to reinspect and try what @TK4 suggested.

The noise is gone. Can't get it back.

Will keep an eye on it.

Reactions: TK4
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I guess everyone is allowed to have a dumb moment sometimes.
Found the culprit of the "noise".

Funny enough, I asked my daughter to record the above video with my phone and when she was done she said "Daddy, maybe this was making the noise." as she took the look bolt out. I of course disagreed. Then I put the bolt away. When I reinspected noise was gone. hmmmm then I put the bolt back and noise came back. Remove again, gone.

The head of the bolt was rubbing against the milled aluminum forks.
I blame the black on black on black.

1681090079981.png

Last edited:
That's halfway to a good resolution. Where's the bolt from?

Fell from just above when I removed the said bolt to install a bracket for the upper crash bars. Back in early January.

1681091901262.png

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I guess everyone is allowed to have a dumb moments sometimes.
Found the culprit of the "noise".

Funny enough, I asked my daughter to record the above video with my phone and when she was done she said "Daddy, maybe this was making the noise." as she took the look bolt out. I of course disagreed. Then I put the bolt away. When I reinspected noise was gone. hmmmm then I put the bolt back and noise came back. Remove again, gone.

The head of the bolt was rubbing against the milled aluminum forks.
I blame the black on black on black.

View attachment 60221
Oops.

Back
Top Bottom