Is it wrong using rear brake in a corner ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it wrong using rear brake in a corner ?

Re: Is it wrong using rear brake in a (slow or standing start) corner ?

I should note that I dont use it to decel but to balance the pozitive force that the throttle is providing.

This statement indicates that even as a self-professed noob, you actually grasp what is going on under your butt at slow right hand turns from a stop or near stop, better than most other so-called 'experts' commenting here.

In fact, this control can be easily proven. Just take any bike in a parking lot and do steering lock turns. Hold it right on the lock. Use of rear brake while feathering (or not) the clutch and throttle and will let you do controlled turns till you are dizzy. No rear brake turns will have you constantly not able to hold the bike on the steering lock.

Many bikes in the last.. almost decade, that are not fuel injected are tuned very lean in attempts to meet emission regs. The 250r is really cold blooded, and a full 3 to 5 min warm up would likely cure these carburation woes on slow turns.

Hope you don't mind..I added a key pc of info in your subject line to help avoid confusion and bad advice. I notice already that some people have not realized you were talking about a 2 to 15 kph turn.

Use of rear brake is even taught by some some instructors in parking lot maneuvers (speeds), as it not only steady's positive throttle input of a bike not carburating smoothly, but also to help avoid levering themselves over from too much front brake with zero counter-steer available.

Re: Is it wrong using rear brake in a (slow or standing start) corner ?

This statement indicates that even as a self-professed noob, you actually grasp what is going on under your butt at slow right hand turns from a stop or near stop, better than most other so-called 'experts' commenting here.

In fact, this control can be easily proven. Just take any bike in a parking lot and do steering lock turns. Hold it right on the lock. Use of rear brake while feathering (or not) the clutch and throttle and will let you do controlled turns till you are dizzy. No rear brake turns will have you constantly not able to hold the bike on the steering lock.

Many bikes in the last.. almost decade, that are not fuel injected are tuned very lean in attempts to meet emission regs. The 250r is really cold blooded, and a full 3 to 5 min warm up would likely cure these carburation woes on slow turns.

Hope you don't mind..I added a key pc of info in your subject line to help avoid confusion and bad advice. I notice already that some people have not realized you were talking about a 2 to 15 kph turn.

Use of rear brake is even taught by some some instructors in parking lot maneuvers (speeds), as it not only steady's positive throttle input of a bike not carburating smoothly, but also to help avoid levering themselves over from too much front brake with zero counter-steer available.

Bingo… the correct answer.

Is the rear brake broken? Any bike can lock the rear easily unless you've got ABS (even then, it will probably lock at low speed).
Not if you are experienced and know how to modulate the brake. I rarely lock either wheel though the front in the rain can be tricky in an emergency stop.

Thanks everyone for dropping a line. I think I got the general picture from all the different perspectives. Thanks again, for all the very useful info !

I was told to do this by my RTI instructor when I was getting my M (It was suggested not ordered). I see no reason to brake in corners unless there is a reason to stop or slow down. I thought it was weird she suggested it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for dropping a line. I think I got the general picture from all the different perspectives. Thanks again, for all the very useful info !

Just to clarify a few things. For really low speed stuff, yes it is fine to do so and makes things easier if you/your bike have a jerky throttle. The post by nesobriquet is good.

Furthermore - just as an aside and this wasn't related to your question, but I'm going to say it anyway. When going at a more elevated speed you can and it makes the turning smoother if you use your brakes going into the turn. Lots of folks here know this and it is something many people will do without even noticing it. Do most of your braking up and down.... but you can (if you have to) trail the brakes into the corner. Just don't be hamfisted about it. No you cannot grab a fist full at a decent lean angle .... but you can use them. Also in a corner if you throttle off or brake you can tighten your line, if you increase throttle you push yourself wider (all things being equal).

So anyway - very slow corner almost upright, ya dude - use the rear brake.

Disclaimer so Recip won't jump on this one -> When I said throttle off to tighten your line.... I mean gently rolling off the throttle.... no chopping off the throttle (and this is for STREET riding pace not fast track pace )

Last edited:
I dunno about you guys buy rear wheel lockup is fun.... lol

I only use brake when I am leaning over if someone is in front of me, nice and smooth though.

Learned from the guys at the Quebec school ringy dingy thingy that rear brake literally going like less than 15 kph is the bees knees when it comes to staying in control. The instructors had us on 0% throttle and just gliding on the clutch and rear brake only.

Learned a lot from those guys, and now frequently use the technique they showed us!

Last edited:
What you are doing is fine. This is how cops keep their bikes straight up at slow speeds. Your instincts are telling you how to ride your bike properly. You are basically balancing the bike out at low speeds. I do it all the time.

Other than that, I also trail brake into high speed corners. I find better grip transferring the weight to the front more gradually rather than laying off the brakes altogether. Read up on "trail braking."

http://www.google.com/search?q=trail braking

Back
Top Bottom