Interesting survey on ADV riders | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting survey on ADV riders

Roadghost

Gives you a good idea of pretty much everything about ADV riders. Some very interesting stuff. I like to compare what people are actually doing to the way manufacturers are trying to steer them.

Interestingly, there was nothing in that survey about what constitutes an "adventure".

What percentage of riding is on pavement - dirt roads - dirt trails - desert - forest - complete offroad, something like that.

Would have been nice to see which specific bikes people think are adventure.

Interestingly, there was nothing in that survey about what constitutes an "adventure".

What percentage of riding is on pavement - dirt roads - dirt trails - desert - forest - complete offroad, something like that.
The most popular tire choice gives you some idea. It's a more street biased tire than dirt.

Interesting. I note Canadian riders are way overrepresented in respondents. Where was this survey posted?

The problem is there's no universally accepted definition of what adventure riding is. For example, I'd argue that riding across the Translab highway (a mixture of pavement and well maintained gravel) is more of an adventure than riding some rough single track near your house. I'm sure there's others who have the opposite opinion.

Interesting. I note Canadian riders are way overrepresented in respondents. Where was this survey posted?

It was posted on the site linked. I think he only did it for a week, not sure why. He could have done it for a couple of months, but you know with these things often the wrong people start replying, trying to manipulate the results. Statistically I would say you really need 2000 respondents to get an accurate modelling. Still, the results are a good indicator, and not generally what some people are going to want to hear. It looks like a lot of people buy ADVs with great intentions, but just aren't able to get away from life to have a genuine adventure.

Would have been nice to see which specific bikes people think are adventure.
Yup ....Honda classed the CBF1000 as "adventure" :unsure:
1638853909350.png
Try as as I might ...never really cut it against the DL650.
300 km tank with poor fuel mileage
narrow or small windscreen
small luggage and little choice in that....
I admit I had adventures but....sows ear and silk purse....etc.

Screen20Shot202015-10-1220at20Oct2012202020202015202020206.44.0620PM_zpsigb5yhd8.jpg

I think upright seating, light off pavement capable, good luggage choice and element protection covers the category.

So what is an adventure?
Does it have to be multi day? Because that real has very little to do with the bike model you have.
Does it have to involve camping in a tent?
That has nothing to do with the bike.
Does it have to be both on and off Road? Because some people will have you believe that “Adventure“ bikes have no place off road. In a lot of cases they’re right.

Why is it perceived that you must buy an adventure bike and head off loaded with camping gear for months at a time or else you bought the wrong bike?
When I camp I take my truck and trailer, two dogs, 4 people, not my bike.

I just like the bike
I like the way it rides, I like the accessories, I like that I can easily install bags when I want bags, I can go off-road when I want to go off-road. I can go fast as fnck when I want to go fast. There is always a better bike for the job but there is no other bike that can do it all as well as an adventure bike. So why all the questions and hate towards Adventure bikes.

There are plenty of touring bikes with low mileage, lots of show bikes that don’t come out of the garage and you know there are a majority of Super Sports and Litter bikes that have never even come close to there potential.

It’s just a bike that the manufacturer called an Adventure it’s not called the Nomad Campomatic

There are a lot of bikes being called adventure. So many that I don’t even know what it means?
If a DRZ400 is a dual sport what is a KLR650? Big dual sport or Adventure?
if you said dual sport then what about the KTM 890 Adventure surly it is a Adventure?
That CBF 1000 posted above I would call a Naked sport touring no?
The kawasa Versus, bmw s1000xr or the Ducati MS are very road bias adventure bikes?

So what is an Adventure bike and how are you supposed to use it properl?

STICKERS. A ride up to the forks on a Sunday morning will give you a good idea of what's what. The bikes with the sticker covered panniers are the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom