Insurance Recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Recommendations

Ride4Life

I recently received a letter from my Insurance company stating that they will no longer be insuring riders who have had their M license for less than 6 years. I own a Hayabusa and have had my license for two years.
Does anyone have any insurance recommendations? My insurance expires in a month and need this ASAP!

Thanks!

May I ask which insurance company is dropping you - Aviva?

TD would underwrite the Hayabusa for sure. You could get *relatively* good rates if you are part of a qualifying group or almunus of a qualifying university. Other than that, most companies that do insure SSs won't touch anything > 1000cc, like Wawanessa.

Not sure where you're located, how old you are, how long have you held a motorcycle license since M2, how long youve had continuous motorcycle insurance etc etc ... All are factors.

Edit: for TD, you need to be 30+ and having M also helps. Otherwise rates will be insane, in the neighbourhood of 8-10k for the busa.

Last edited:
That is a truly evil move on the part of the insurance company, but don't worry they have you covered, insurance companies are all in bed together on their rates and none of them are actually any different or better then the next one, it's just a corporate shell game and odds are that most of them are all owned and controlled by the same dude.

Same happened to me. I called my broker to get a quote on my new bike and not only did he tell me that I was "underlicensed" for that bike (over 750cc), my current policy for my 300 is up for non renewal. Reason? Underlicensed...for a freaking 300. I've been insured on cars with them for over 20 years and motorcycle for a year, perfect record no claims, tickets, etc. but that doesn't mean anything to them.

Apparently less than 6 years M licensed they won't touch anyone on anything anymore. I've had my M2 for a year now, after letting it expire 20ish years ago.

I called riders plus and they will insure both bikes, the 300 is actually $70 less a year (about 10%) with them. My broker told me that he has lost a lot of motorcycle business this year because of this new policy.

I saved $500 (!!) on my rate with Dalton Timmins this year. I also got dropped by Aviva with under 6 years, and it turned out to be great because it made me call around.

Don't know if Echelon would touch a Busa though.

I saved $500 (!!) on my rate with Dalton Timmins this year. I also got dropped by Aviva with under 6 years, and it turned out to be great because it made me call around.

Don't know if Echelon would touch a Busa though.
echelon does not insure sport bikes over 300cc i believe, nakeds are another story.

echelon does not insure sport bikes over 300cc i believe, nakeds are another story.

I figured as much, I was able to quote a MT07 with Echelon but he did mention no supersports at all actually. I didn't know what class a Busa is seen as.

Last edited:
I figured as much, I was able to quote a MT07 with Echelon but he did mention no supersports at all actually. I didn't know what class a Busa is seen as.
yes, i had my fz09 insured with them and they will do an fz10 but not the other hyper nakeds.

Busa is a rocket ship classification lol.

yes, i had my fz09 insured with them and they will do an fz10 but not the other hyper nakeds.

Busa is a rocket ship classification lol.

And randomly no Husqvarna at all.

For my age my rate with Echelon this year is extremely fair.

And randomly no Husqvarna at all.

For my age my rate with Echelon this year is extremely fair.
Yep I'm quite happy with the rates. Grom is $45 a month ?

... after letting it expire 20ish years ago.
Oooooo you shouldn't have done that :|

And what is with this notion that a fairing makes a motorcycle higher risk :/ how stupid is that, if you take the body panels off a car and ride around on an open chassis are you safer for it? -> Stupid Clueless Insurance People!

Its a numbers game. And quit bs unfortunately.

All bikes crash the same. And assuming they pull abstract and see "clean record" wether i drive a 250cbr or my 1299s Im "Technically" driving the speed limit. Both bikes are capable of surpassing ONTARIO top speed limit of 100km/hr of over 50kph. Both are quick. Both have brakes. Hell id take my Pani safety over most 600CC < below bikes due to the Electronic aids. And both will look the exact same in any case collision. So when only liability insurance i really don't understand the need for CC/Bike cost or any of it, being they are just covering MY ass. So All i take into it is, they ask for a clean record, only to "accuse" you of pushing every bike to its absolute APEX.

Back
Top Bottom