Insurance for an experienced rider - Outside Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for an experienced rider - Outside Canada

kurtrules

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have been riding since 2007, have owned 3 bikes in the past, but none of them in Canada as I immigrated last year. I have zero Canadian riding experience, however, I am eager to earn my license and purchase the MT-09 or the Z900. I am currently 35.

My foreign car driving experience was considered by the MTO and I currently hold a G license with my experience added. My questions are:

1. Will MTO consider riding experience as well, or is that limited to only driving? If yes, what proof of ownership do I have to produce?
2. Now the tricky part - Is there a possibility that insurance agencies also consider my riding experience too, as that would reduce the insurance costs considerably. Online quotes (TD) for a new rider (m2) with the bike being MT-09 were in the region of 4k/year, which is quite high.

Appreciate your insights.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure where you rode but Australia recognized my Ontario motorcycle licence and gave me their open class licence.

Insurance wise it would help your cause greatly if you could contact your previous insurancer and get an "experience letter", if not you're a new driver.

Not sure where you rode but Australia recognized my Ontario motorcycle licence and gave me their open class licence.

I rode in India & Singapore. From the MTO website, these countries do-not fall under their license exchange program. However, I was hoping if anyone had any first hand information on adding their experience from riding in countries that are not under the ambit of a direct exchange - that information would be very useful.

I rode in India & Singapore. From the MTO website, these countries do-not fall under their license exchange program. However, I was hoping if anyone had any first hand information on adding their experience from riding in countries that are not under the ambit of a direct exchange - that information would be very useful.
You're out of luck. If the MTO does an exchange of your home country licence and you had insurance you could supply a letter from your insurer that notes claims, cancellations, and continuity. You also need a drivers abstract.

Thanks, I have No Claims letter, and insurance copies for CBR, the last three years. Moreover, I can get another extract made.

Perhaps, I will have to confirm with the drive test center. For insurance, I called up TD, and the agent mentioned that they only consider US riding experience. I was hoping if other underwriters, if possible, could consider my previous insurance and No Claim letter, plus extract proving proof of ownership and licensed experience

Didn't you ask this on rfd? Most foreign countries are not recognized by Ontario for insurance history

I rode in India & Singapore. From the MTO website, these countries do-not fall under their license exchange program. ...
For good reason.
Take the full training and testing it will be worth it.

You're probably screwed. Heck, I've heard of people being considered new because they stopped riding for a year.

I realized that. Thank you though. I will go through the basic course, as it will reduce my insurance. And thereafter, I will buy something like a 650 strom, maybe the 500x if I like the nimble handling and the lower weight.. It's sad though; 4 timer Ladakh vetren, yet am a new rider here. ?

Having said that, it is completely understandable and I respect the govt's decision.. There is a huge difference in what is considered a "first bike" in developed nations vs what's prevalent in developing ones.

Love to meet up and travel with you learned folks!

Back
Top Bottom