Insurance for 18 year old | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for 18 year old

JalapenoJoker

Hi guys I’m an 18 year old and just got my m1 and already signed up for the MSF course. I’m looking to get a cbr125/250 or ninja 250 as I don’t plan on going on the highway. Just wondering what I should expect for insurance and also if any of you could recommend the cheapest insurance for me. Not looking to pay for full coverage. From what I’m hearing I’m expecting about $3000 a year. I live just outside Guelph in the countryside, not sure if that will reduce my costs.

Thanks

Hi guys I’m an 18 year old and just got my m1 and already signed up for the MSF course. I’m looking to get a cbr125/250 or ninja 250 as I don’t plan on going on the highway. Just wondering what I should expect for insurance and also if any of you could recommend the cheapest insurance for me. Not looking to pay for full coverage. From what I’m hearing I’m expecting about $3000 a year. I live just outside Guelph in the countryside, not sure if that will reduce my costs.

Thanks

You’ll need to get on the phone and start calling insurance companies/brokers for quotes. No other way around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
Good luck. Good choices in bikes. Ride safe. Robbo nailed it, start calling insurance companies or brokers. Online quotes are pretty much garbage. People can tell you what they pay but it may be far different than you pay (age, record, postal code, bike, etc).

Get a price for full coverage too before you decide to reject it. It protects you from the tow-truck mafia. Even if your bike isn't worth much, a crash where they pick up your bike can easily cost thousands (recovery, straps, storage, transportation, etc). It's still the wild west out there.

EDIT:
My SIL got towed after a crash on the 401 near Bowmanville. Tow distance was roughly one exit. Tried to pay the bill and spring the truck the next day and there were invoices from three different companies (tow company, storage company, and one more) for most of $2000. Charges for things that never happened like dollies but unwilling to amend bill to something resembling reality. Storage was more than $100 a day so pay quick or the bill keeps going and they will come after you for it. Truck was undriveable, company wouldn't accept truck as payment. Got an honest tow truck driver to go and try to negotiate it out. No professional courtesy, he paid the entire bill and towed out the wreck.

Last edited:
EDIT:
My SIL got towed after a crash on the 401 near Bowmanville. Tow distance was roughly one exit. Tried to pay the bill and spring the truck the next day and there were invoices from three different companies (tow company, storage company, and one more) for most of $2000. Charges for things that never happened like dollies but unwilling to amend bill to something resembling reality. Storage was more than $100 a day so pay quick or the bill keeps going and they will come after you for it. Truck was undriveable, company wouldn't accept truck as payment. Got an honest tow truck driver to go and try to negotiate it out. No professional courtesy, he paid the entire bill and towed out the wreck.
Sadly this is often the case, and a good lesson for those who don't have an autoclub membership. CAA costs $75 to $150/year, and you can add family members for less. Some TD credit cards come with TD Autoclub for free.

CAA won't tow you away from a collision.
Most of the time you don't get a choice, the police want the roadway cleared ASAP and you get the first truck
In the city there is a flat rate for a police called tow truck... flat rate for the tow... not for storage. I don't know if that is true in Bowmanville

CAA won't tow you away from a collision.
Most of the time you don't get a choice, the police want the roadway cleared ASAP and you get the first truck
In the city there is a flat rate for a police called tow truck... flat rate for the tow... not for storage. I don't know if that is true in Bowmanville
I suspect that is part of the game with three different companies touching the vehicle within 12 hours. Probably all have the same owner. Each one may not violate rate limits. If you want to sue them for fraud, you need to sue three different companies tripling your costs.

OP, do your own research on insurance so there are no surprises for you. Ask for a price on each of the bikes (cbr125/250 or ninja 250) You'll pay a fortune, but it is what it is. Living in the sticks should help.

Back
Top Bottom